8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my woes with honda started back in March 2013. I went to my local dealership and complained about my paint cracking on the front. I knew about the recall, and even took the TSB into the dealership, but was told that my car wasn't in their InVin system, so I was **** out of luck.

I wasn't satisfied with this answer, and had four honda dealerships within 10 miles, so I went to the next one who said that they did have an override process, but their service manager wasn't in, and apparently he was the only one that went through the six month, 'How to use a camera' training, so I would have to come back.

I decided to just try to next dealership who was happy to take pictures (with the service manager's iPhone, not the 'special camera' that I was promised from the last dealer. He submitted the pictures and paint thickness, and said it would take about a week to hear back. Two months later, and I've still heard nothing, and the service manager just says that he's waiting.

At this point, I go back to the original dealership, tell them about the override process (using pictures to get a warranty override from Honda Corporate) and they tell me that is impossible, but I could come back when the district paint guy was at the dealership. I agreed and told them to call me when he was in. Three weeks later, about one in the afternoon I get a call saying, 'If you can bring your car up here and leave it, he can look at it later today.' I was at work, couldn't oblige, so I declined and kinda gave up for a while. I was going through changes at work, didn't have the time to run around dealing with honda. (05/2013)

I pick back up my search in September. I was staying with family and had a few weeks off work, so I knew that, even with delays, I should be able to get this all taken care of. I take it to the dealership in my grandparent's home town, the service manager takes pictures, tells me he will know in two days, and that I should be covered based on what he could see. I called him about twice a week for two weeks, then his phone goes dead. I call the dealership back, and they tell me he was 'let go' and my pictures were never submitted.

At this point, I'm back home and now I'm dealing with Honda Corporate through their 1-800 number. They open a case, and in about a week I hear back and I'm told to take my car to a very specific dealership, who would take the pictures and submit them. I do so, and finally I get an override in the second week of October. The dealership says it'll take about 3 days to respray the car, and I would be set. What they didn't tell me is that they couldn't offer me a rental, or a loaner car because I was only 23 at the time, and they said (lie) that they couldn't rent to me until I was 25 (I've rented cars, box trucks, boats, used loaner cars in the past, ect. This was a blatant lie). I told them that with me starting a new job, it wasn't possible, and Honda Corporate said they would put the case on hold until I had other means of transportation.

Alright, so now I move, and we're in January of 2014. I, again, have some time off work, so I called Honda, told them where I wanted to take the car, they agreed, and I thought I was good to go. I get to the dealership (01/06/2014) and I'm told that I would need to bring it to the paint shop the following week so that they could take pictures and submit them to honda again. They tell me that they can get the car in, if the work is approved, on February 3rd. I tell them that this isn't acceptable, that a three day job shouldn't turn into a month long ordeal. I find another local dealership that says they can have it in and out in a week, so I call honda, have the paperwork sent to that dealer, and wait. I'm told by the service manager that he's waiting to hear from the 'paint guy.' Two weeks pass, nothing. He keeps saying he's just waiting for the email, so I call corporate again. I finally threaten to get an attorney involved, and within six hours I had a call from the dealership saying that I should bring my car, and amazingly they had a rental for me this time.

That was two weeks ago. I still have the rental (Hyundai Elantra GT, which is kinda nice), I was told my car would be done last friday, then I was told it would be done on Wednesday (yesterday), and I'm still in a rental, with no honda. Anyone else getting such a frustrating run around from Honda? Are they really just unwilling to fix their mistakes? I'm seriously thinking that this is my last honda. I've had recalls done on other cars that had less than 12 hour turn around, this is just ridiculous.

tl;dr version: I went to about ten dealerships, and waited almost a year to get my car repainted.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Holy crap dude that's ridiculous. I had some bullcrap to deal with when I had to get my hood resprayed on my '12 Mustang but that wasn't anywhere near as bad of an experience as you seem to have endured. Hopefully you get it back soon and they did a good job painting.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dropped it off for paint Monday 2/10, still don't have my car back. Two weeks in the rental so far. I was originally told it would be done Friday 2/14, then I was told Wednesday 2/19, now I'm just enjoying the rental. I've tried to call the dealer and speak to the service manager, but I only get his voicemail and he doesn't like to reply to those apparently.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Our dealerships here are telling everyone they need the car for 6-8 weeks and no loaner. Would pay the same amount in rental as it would take to just have it resprayed elsewhere. Seems a lot of dealerships are doing what they can to get out of dealing with it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Our dealerships here are telling everyone they need the car for 6-8 weeks and no loaner. Would pay the same amount in rental as it would take to just have it resprayed elsewhere. Seems a lot of dealerships are doing what they can to get out of dealing with it.
That time frame is crazy. I would write a negative review for each dealer that gave me the run around.

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
The only issue i had with my experience was this.

I went to the dealership to drop my car off, knowing i wouldn't get a rental they agreed to use the shuttle to bring me where i needed to go.

I get there, tell them where i needed to go, and straight up told me they couldn't drive that far. I told them if they always ****** people over like this. Didn't drop my car off that day, dropped it off the next day and had my own damn ride.

Got the car back and it was pretty much fine save the job they did on the hood wasn't, imo, satisfactory, but i didn't bother complaining as i knew it would probably be an ordeal.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Man, I will ***** up a storm if my paint doesn't look Porsche fresh. After this amount of time, it better be perfect. I'm supposed to pick it up today; apparently it was done on Friday, but he had to 'touch up' some parts on Monday, and I should be able to pick it up today. I have a bad feeling that they ****** up my headlights if they tried to remove them. They're basic retro's but they're a pain in the ass to get in and out properly. We shall see...

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Wow good luck.

My local dealer was great - took pictures, sent it in, got it approved within 2 days. We scheduled a drop off, they had it another 2 days, and the work was perfect, plus they blended with both front fenders and took care of some paint chips on them. No rental, but easy anyway.

Sorry you've had such a sh*t experience with this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Man, I just bought an 08 Civic and I keep running across these threads about shoddy paint. Is this that common of a problem? Seems like everyone is getting the run around too. The paint on my car seems to be decent however at just below 100k miles.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Man, I just bought an 08 Civic and I keep running across these threads about shoddy paint. Is this that common of a problem? Seems like everyone is getting the run around too. The paint on my car seems to be decent however at just below 100k miles.
This is common enough with specific colors Honda says. The recall noticed mentioned specific colors and years. Fiji blue which was only available as a color for 2 - 3yrs during when the 8th gen was originally introduced seems especially problematic.

I haven't visited the forums in a long while and was looking for headlight covers/film.

My 2007 Fiji blue SI coupe started having problems 2 - 3yrs into owning the car. The hood and the fender were covered with small scratches. Initially you look at it and maybe thing they are road chips since Honda's paint is notorious for being crappy and weak. Looking at it closer you notice that some are indeed stone chips but other are small marks looking like chicken feet.

Honda was deny the problem much like they denied and still deny a 3rd gear pop problem. That they only put out the TSB for after a station in CA does a segment on it.

Turns out the problem was 1st reported in CO. And given the internal code name Denver Cracking. It is from the heat and cold of some of the states. They deny it for years until I guess enough people complained and threatened to sue.

Around the 6yr mark I get a notice from Honda stating that they will pay for or have the hood and fender repainted. However, by this time the clear coat on the roof as well as the surrounding area are all fading in patches and flaking off. The edge along the trunk is also experiencing issues. As well as the drivers side door.

The clear coat on the roof actually started fading and flaking off around the 3yr mark. And 4.5yrs in the paint (yes the paint) by the rear pillar folding into the back glass actually flakes off in chunks.

A year after the notice about the paint recall/warranty extension on the hood and the fender. I get a notice about the paint on the roof and trunk also being bad for this particular color/model/year.

Had I went and gotten the hood and fender painted I would have had to go back to get the roof and trunk painted. F**king incompent greedy @$$holes.

The fine print on the recall states that Honda will guarentee the paint on the affected areas for 7yrs from date of purchase or 6 months from when you received the notice. Which ever is greater. Also, you have to be the original owner. I held off on having my hood and fender repainted since the rest of the car paint was also in such crappy shape. There have been posting by other forum members that they got other parts of the car painted since it showed the same problem. I was going to hold out until the 7yr mark to see how much more can go wrong with the paint. If I wait another year they might cover the door.

Between the 1st notice and 2nd notice I got into a fender bender. Passenger side wheels got damaged a bit and pretty much a some dents across the passenger side. The bumper was damaged so that is also getting painted.

The place I initially wanted to do the repairs/paint would work on my car unless the other areas were also going to get repaired since their work is a limited lifetime guarentee. And they couldn't do that with other panels they might cross over into such bad shape.

Talking with Honda they told me they would only pay for the paint if I took it to a dealership. And also, they had to ok the repaint on the other parts of the car that has the same problem which any person could see was the same issue.

I took my car to Brown's Honda City in MD. They have a bodyshop and the manager ok-ed the repaint on all the affected areas. So between the fender bender and the paint recall. My entire care is getting repainted except the rear bumper and spoiler. They told me they aren't providing a rental car. I could get one from the insurance company for the fender bender but I will borrow a car. Save the money and use it towards the deductable.

I went there to have the paint looked at in January. They told me the earliest they could have me in is mid March since it is such an extensive repaint. Also, it would take 2 weeks.

Now, I'm just worried that they will do a crappy job.

From all the bad experiences with stealerships around me, to the damage they caused my car when it new, then having a service manager scream and get in my face. I look at the new SI or a Type R. Think it would be nice. Then snap out of it. Last 2 cars were Honda's. All bought new. Probably my last.

Avoid O'Donnell Honda of Ellicott City MD. Especially the service dept.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My dealership didn't give me the runaround on it other than having to schedule the appointment for a month plus later.

When my appointment did come up I took it in and had a rental from the dealership for 3 days @ $15 / day. It was a 2013 Civic too, so not too bad.

After three days my car was done and had the roof, hood and front fenders repainted. Overall pretty good experience.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i also ran into an issue with the dealership as well, took my car in, they took the pics, received a response about 3 weeks after, then i get told that i have to pay 500 deductible because my car is red and so there for it doesn't fall under the recall, and i also asked the guy at the dealer if they were going to paint the pillars as well and he said no just the roof, hood, and fenders.....smh....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I talked to the guy that painted my car and he couldn't understand why they did what they did. They only painted the roof, hood and front fenders even though I have fading on the whole body. He said my car looked like the best taken care of civic he'd seen, so he didn't know why they were giving me the run around when they usually paint the whole car. My paint doesn't match at all, the pearl is way off on the parts they painted, and they weren't even authorized to blend the parts that they didn't paint. I'm so done with Honda it's not even funny. This will be the very last honda product I buy.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts