8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone,
Well i went to the dealership today to check the SI out in person. I believe it was the habanero red. It had a lot of dust on it, which was rather odd. outside, I think the car looks great. pictures don't quite do it justice in my opinion. I walk around the car a bit, yeah, it's a civic =p soooooo, time for the test drive.

First thing i notice when i get in. I barely fit. buttt with the seat all the way down, I have just enough room to wear a helmet too. so things work out as i had suspected. My pops, who is about 6'4 got into passanger and his head was almost rubbing on the ceiling. ehhh, i wont grow much more so i'm not sweatin' it. alright, so I pop the key in. wow, this car had already 70+ miles on it.

sound system is really nice. It isn't amazingly mercedes benz great, but it is really nice. my buddy just put in a system in his 00' SI coupe, and the stock system on the FG2 sounds just as good.

test drive was fun, the engine/exhaust note sound good, they have a bit more.. rumble to it then that high pitch whine from the previous coupe.

two things I really wanna talk about, as I'm sure everyone has already read 10810238 reviews, so i dont wanna waste your time...

1)
Drive by wire. Yes it does hold onto the RPM's. Yes it did kinda piss me off. butttt then i got to thinking about it, around town, that is actually a pretty nifty feature. As i doesn't require so much dancing with the gas/clutch pedals. Just, clutch in, shift gear, clutch out. then accelerate as you wish. i dunno if that was the intention of the rpms to hold for a second, but it really does make shifting around town more..relaxed? i dunno, if there is a re-flash or a hondata chip out there for that to be eliminated, i'm positive i would go for it, as this car is meant to be at the track for me :thumb:

2)
For a front wheel drive car, this thing handles amazing! I've drive all my brothers VW's, I've been in dozens of honda/acura's. and i can say, that the SI out handles em all. It feels like my moms BMW. Not quite as refined, as there is still some hesitation, but seriously, it is good. real good.
there is a little sway, but that can be solved in a jiffy. Honda really did good i think here though, the suspension is firm but still forgiving (just like my moms bmw), i accidentaly took on some rail road tracks at speeds I shouldn't have been at, but no problem from the car. yet, it can still handle great, really good engineered. I'd say, the SI feels almost as good as the S2k. now, i might get flammed for that comment, but i honestly think, that for the design and lay out, it's almost there. Granted the s2k gets mucho more tail happy, just doing basic lane changes, from what i recall driving my friends s2k, the SI felt pretty similar, but not quite there yet.

Overall, for the buck, you get the most. As i've speculated before, now i have proof. this thing is just the most refined, good power, amazing suspension, great creature comforts, great gas mileage, etc. compared to the other guys in the sub $25k market.

I'm gonna wait till some more hype dies down with the "market adjustments" I'm also gonna email schroth soon to see if their rallye 3 harness fits in the FG2, as the seats are good, they just need some decent belts to hold you to em :D That, with a set of sticky yoko's (potential sponsorship :eek:hnoes: ) is all what is needed for me. Power is enough, shifting feels great, sound is great, comfort is amazing, suspension is amazing.

To not leave this on a happy note though, i wasn't overwhelmed. At the end of the test drive, sitting in the car before i left, i some how felt.. unsatisfied? the car meets all my requirements and surpasses some, but still, it didn't leave a strong impression on me. maybe it's because i had a lot of seat time in a modified type S? i dunno, it's a great car, but definately test drive it before anything. So any one else care to talk about their drive?

---Colin-

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
excellent write up. I think there was only 1 more member who had driven the car, but I can't recall who it was now. It was at a honda preview party thing.

so do you plan on buying one now?

·
Registered
45 Posts
The RPM Delay? That could be a Clutch Delay. Honda equipped AP2 S2000's with them to reduce the risk of damaging the drivetrain. The DBW probably masks the Delay a little better than on the AP2. I noticed on the '06 S2K that the clutch delay was a lot less noticeable after the switch to DBW. Could be related, could not.
The steering does feel as good as the S2000, but I think at the limit the Civicwould be a scarier ride than the S2K. I remember driving the car back in september the Steering feel and directness reminded me alot of my S2000. I think they share the same Steering Ratio. But the Si has a very unique low mounted steering Rack for better geometry and reduced bumpsteer.
As far as the comment on Bang for the Buck - The whole civic line has the most bang for the buck in the market.
The unsatisfied feeling goes away once you take it home. I had the same issue as you - then I bought one and now it's gone!

·
Registered
730 Posts
i have yet to test drive or even sit in a 8th gen civic. hell i havnt even seen a coup in person let alone a si. but nice right up. diffrent then the others if thats what u where hoping for. i think im going to my dealer today and ***** alittle. thatll be fun.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I've sat in a coupe... mmm mmm
I absolutly loved the feeling of sitting in that car and I knwo I will be happy with the Si. Im sure there will be a little learning curve with the DBW, Im sure that my dad will also enjoy it also when I let him test it out...

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
I was one of the lucky few to test drive the Si back in October at the Civic Live event. Pretty much everything Abolition said is true, so I won't repeat. But I personally have nothing bad to say about it at all.

It was fun to drive in every sense of the word 'fun'. I fit just fine in the car, and I'm 6'1".

I think anyone who is willing to buy an EX is doing themselves a disservice if they don't test driving the Si first.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
webby said:
excellent write up. I think there was only 1 more member who had driven the car, but I can't recall who it was now. It was at a honda preview party thing.
Me :thumb:

Great review Colin, my opinion about the car was very much the same and although I only got to test drive it at around 30-40 mph autoXing, it was enough for me to like this car to the point of buying it. Can't buy it yet, so for now so I'll enjoy my 04.

·
Registered
730 Posts
finaly i got to get into one today!!! well i went and the dealer let me sit in the first one they got in. didnt let me drive it because it hadnt even been preped yet (plastic all over it) but the biggest surprise was the exshaust note. not whinny or high pitched, that thing had a good little rumble. :love:

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
Fishytron said:
finaly i got to get into one today!!! well i went and the dealer let me sit in the first one they got in. didnt let me drive it because it hadnt even been preped yet (plastic all over it) but the biggest surprise was the exshaust note. not whinny or high pitched, that thing had a good little rumble. :love:
And you didn't buy it?!

·
Registered
730 Posts
well i was the first on the list but i dont want black. my white si is on the first real shippment with a red and a blue one. if the first one was white it would of been mine tonight. the guy was comming to pick his black one up tonite. soon.... soon my si will be here.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
awesome reviews. im 6'2 so i think i will fit nicely. i have driven the Ex coupe 5spd and i loved it. mainly because of the power upgrade over the previous civic. i havent had a chance to go to my dealership to test drive one yet but its on my TO-Do list this week because im on xmas break. yay! lol i do however have one question, why is white joined with red and blue, i would have figured that they would be shipped with silver and black since those are pretty basic colors... am i looking at it in the wrong perspective or has anyone else noticed this?

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
Ep3racer954 said:
i do however have one question, why is white joined with red and blue, i would have figured that they would be shipped with silver and black since those are pretty basic colors... am i looking at it in the wrong perspective or has anyone else noticed this?
Hmm...red, white, and blue...American flag? Who knows. I do know that they made a ton of silver and blacks right at the beginning.

·
Registered
730 Posts
the first was black but all have already been baught by buyers. none are going to be availible for sale in dealerships till march at my dealer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
rioyellows2k said:
The RPM Delay? That could be a Clutch Delay. Honda equipped AP2 S2000's with them to reduce the risk of damaging the drivetrain. The DBW probably masks the Delay a little better than on the AP2. I noticed on the '06 S2K that the clutch delay was a lot less noticeable after the switch to DBW. Could be related, could not.
The steering does feel as good as the S2000, but I think at the limit the Civicwould be a scarier ride than the S2K. I remember driving the car back in september the Steering feel and directness reminded me alot of my S2000. I think they share the same Steering Ratio. But the Si has a very unique low mounted steering Rack for better geometry and reduced bumpsteer.
As far as the comment on Bang for the Buck - The whole civic line has the most bang for the buck in the market.
The unsatisfied feeling goes away once you take it home. I had the same issue as you - then I bought one and now it's gone!
maybe it is clutch delay. i honestly don't know, i heard that hondata would have a reflash for it from ht forums. sad to say, but i have only driven the 2 liter s2k so i couldn't compare. Glad ya didn't flip out on the s2k likeness comment. I'm sure at the other forums some people would take offense to it.

webby, Yes, i still have plans to buy it, but i'm delaying the process on purpose. the car i test drove..$11,000 over msrp. i am not lying. most of em around the area are going for $5-10k mark ups. so, my projected purchase date, which i have had in my mind ever since i decided to look into the car, is for March. it'll be a nice birthday present, i'll have some more money, the weather will be nicer and yeah. I've got some time.

Happy holidays everyone.

-Colin

·
Registered
155 Posts
Abolition said:
the car i test drove..$11,000 over msrp. i am not lying. most of em around the area are going for $5-10k mark ups.
-Colin
Holy crap!!! $5,000 to $10,000 mark ups? Would banks allow you to finance the car $10,000 over the market value? Where are you located, if you don't mind me asking. I've heard $2,000 to $5,000 mark ups but $10,000 would have to be the record high!!!

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
CiscoBoy said:
Holy crap!!! $5,000 to $10,000 mark ups? Would banks allow you to finance the car $10,000 over the market value? Where are you located, if you don't mind me asking. I've heard $2,000 to $5,000 mark ups but $10,000 would have to be the record high!!!
Exactly. Only those who have plenty of cash on-hand to burn can pay such ridiculous mark-ups. No bank will ever finance that, so the dealership is severly limiting their market-base...not to mention just being complete a**holes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i am located smack in the middle of southern california. it is sad, but that is just the way things are right now. some dealers are just bone heads, i dont even talk to them. but there are a few that understand but have to play by the rules. those guys will get my buisness, they won't make a big profit off me (i vow to pay less then msrp) but hey, that is what makes the car so great. It's a lot of bang for the buck.

because of its newness and "rarity" everyone thinks it is something it isn't. in cold terms, it is just a sporty civic. no way in hell does it have the soul of a porsche or even bmw. and for $30k i would damn sure go else where. but for the money it should be sold at, it is a steal and whoops its competitors in that market.

---Colin-

1 - 20 of 22 Posts