8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Si-Onara
Joined
·
5,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just wondering has anyone actually ever dyno with the HFP exhaust installed after a baseline dyno. I hear alot of people say it makes no power however alot of axel backs generate aprox 5-6 HP just wondering some other thoughts on this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,950 Posts
We don't want to do a dyno on the hfp exhaust because the axle back is not going to produce any power. Some people who buy axle backs buys a bigger custom made piping.

The HFP is strictly for sound.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,756 Posts
Axlebacks don't generate power if the bottleneck isn't at the axleback. Imagine putting a giant tube at the end on a garden hose--makes no difference.
 

·
Si-Onara
Joined
·
5,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks alot guys i like my HFP axel back just was wondering if it generated any power on the Si
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
like everyone said u wont gain any power. it just makes the car sound "sporty." look up some exhaust posts and u can try to find out what kind u could get.
 

·
Kansas Chainsaw Massacre
Joined
·
6,296 Posts
so if everyone is claiming that the axleback won't make any power, then there must be a dynograph to prove it, right? The only answer I remotely like here is Aki's.

JEA86: I'm guessing no one has dynoed the HFP axleback, so from a strictly scientific viewpoint no one can know for sure. You could always dyno it, and then take it off and dyno it with the regular exhaust!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,717 Posts
Honda themselves say that there is no power to Be made from the HFP muffler... It's a waste of Loot.
 

·
Kansas Chainsaw Massacre
Joined
·
6,296 Posts
yeah... I'm pretty sure it doesn't make any power. but considering that there really aren't any exhausts that (completely by themselves) make a ton of power, I wouldn't worry about it too much...

still, it's nice to see a test with proven results. I think that is what he was after. what I would be after, too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,756 Posts
ErichPryde said:
so if everyone is claiming that the axleback won't make any power, then there must be a dynograph to prove it, right? The only answer I remotely like here is Aki's.

JEA86: I'm guessing no one has dynoed the HFP axleback, so from a strictly scientific viewpoint no one can know for sure. You could always dyno it, and then take it off and dyno it with the regular exhaust!
Ok, the Mugen *might* make some power, who knows. But Honda doesn't say the HFP muffler makes any gains, which makes me sincerely doubt you'd see some HP increase at the dyno.

Basically you have three variables. Piping bend/turbulence... which it's an axleback so they're pretty much the same. Piping diameter--which doesn't matter unless the axleback piping for some reason is smaller than the rest of the piping to the cat. Muffler restriction--I guess this is where the Mugen would supposedly make power, by having a less restrictive system (twin loops purportedly provide better flow). Or using a straight-through design.

Since HFP does neither for the muffler canister, you're looking at zero or close to zero change for the HFP. Plus, if the HFP muffler did provide gains, don't you think Honda would be bragging about it to coax you into buying one?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
893 Posts
yunglaosta said:
i doubt the mugen one will add any HP. the mugen one is just like the HFP exhaust.
Mugen axleback is not like the HFP axle back exhaust. It has that twin loop design as mentioned. Not sure how much hp it will give..but its definetly not the same as the HFP exhaust.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
I have dynoed my car with no rear muffler when it was stock and it picked up 3-4 HP I had a HFP muffler after that and when i dynoed it again it mader the same power... so I think it makes a few ponys... but the big power gain is in the header... but i think its the best looking muffler around.. and it goes on in 10 mins... I loved it... but the 70mm sunk 2 makes alot more power but its way loud.. i want to go back to the cumstom mid pipe i made with the hfp muffler again due to the sound... my kids yell at me cause its so loud....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,899 Posts
Holland said:
I have dynoed my car with no rear muffler when it was stock and it picked up 3-4 HP I had a HFP muffler after that and when i dynoed it again it mader the same power... so I think it makes a few ponys... but the big power gain is in the header... but i think its the best looking muffler around.. and it goes on in 10 mins... I loved it... but the 70mm sunk 2 makes alot more power but its way loud.. i want to go back to the cumstom mid pipe i made with the hfp muffler again due to the sound... my kids yell at me cause its so loud....
You should tell your kids thats how they'll know dad is almost home..miles away. :laughing:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,722 Posts
your biggest gains are going to be made by removing the cat with a race header. :police: Also would like to mention that the Mugen axle-back is not twin loop.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,756 Posts
Nathen said:
your biggest gains are going to be made by removing the cat with a race header. :police: Also would like to mention that the Mugen axle-back is not twin loop.
I didn't intend to say Mugen's axleback for the civic uses twinloop, just that twinloop or straight-through designs are ways to make an exhaust freer flowing. Have no idea what they use.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top