8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I'm just wondering if I use D1,D2,D3 a lot, is that gonna cause a trouble on transmission later on?
If I use D1 from 0km/h, does it consume more gas?

Also, if I use D3/2/1 as a downshift and engine brake...does it harm the transmission/engine a lot?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Shifting between the D1,D2, ect. will not harm your transmission. It is exactly the same as if the transmission shifted on its own. However, by downshifting you may put more wear on it, but it would be minimal. IMO, If you wanted a manual you should have bought one, use the lower gears for hills and just leave it in D5 the rest of the time. If you really must downshift do it coming off of a highway or if you need to make an emergency stop (while slamming the brakes of course).

·
Registered
268 Posts
Don't downshift to slow down. Use your breaks because that's what they are made for. Just remember it's much cheaper to replace your break pads than your auto tranny. Your tranny will fail at some point and you are only making that point come sooner when you downshift to slow down. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
953 Posts
You can use D1,2,3, but why would you shift between them?! Its an AUTOMATIC. Jeez.

And this is coming from someone who is driving an auto.

If you're going up hill, use the Ds...
If you wanna stay in low gears, use the Ds

Otherwise, its an automatic... let it do what you paid it to do.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
joonoo said:
Don't downshift to slow down. Use your breaks because that's what they are made for. Just remember it's much cheaper to replace your break pads than your auto tranny. Your tranny will fail at some point and you are only making that point come sooner when you downshift to slow down. Just my thoughts.
They are known as BRAKES, If your brakes are on a break then you have some problems.

·
Registered
107 Posts
D, car chooses gear 1-5 for you.
D3, car chooses gear 1-3 for you (with some engine braking).
D2, car is on gear 2.
D1, car is on gear 1.

Use lower gears when going uphill if you need more power (common knowledge).

Use lower gears when going downhill to engage engine braking (not common knowledge). I know plenty of people who don't use engine braking when going downhill and their brakes burn/fail. Remember that it's a result of braking frequently when the car is going downhill fast.

I also use lower gears in stop-and-go [bumper to bumper] traffic. It makes me use the brakes less often (and the gas pedal less often as well). It allows my car to roll through traffic instead of stopping and accelerating.

There is no other advantage to use lower gears. You'll only waste gas.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Every now and then i "shift" when accelerating. But the only time i ever down shift is when i have to come to a quick stop, and i only shift drom D or D3 for the assisted braking. I have never felt that it was hurting my car.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Unless your playing around there's no need to manually shift your auto.

There's no difference between taking off in D or D1, either way the car is still in 1st dear.

There's also no need to manually shift it when accelerating WOT, unless you are trying to get the car to shift past it's programmed shift points and closer to rev limiter.

·
Registered
302 Posts
volvo9 said:
There's no difference between taking off in D or D1, either way the car is still in 1st gear.
Not always. Sometimes if you came to a rolling stop or you haven't been stopped for long (stop sign), it will attempt to take off in 2nd gear, which is annoying and makes you feel like you're driving a real dog of a car.

volvo9 said:
There's also no need to manually shift it when accelerating WOT, unless you are trying to get the car to shift past it's programmed shift points and closer to rev limiter.
My car won't go past 5500 rpm in 1st gear with WOT.

And there are times you want to wind out the gears a little more when you're not on full WOT but you want to be . . . zippy.

That said, I don't do it. I don't like the way it shifts when I do that, and it makes me feel like I'm abusing my baby.

·
Registered
161 Posts
There is absolutely no need to use other than the normal "D" or drive during which the transmission will up AND downshift according to engine speed and load. If acceleration is needed either gradually depress the accelerator and the transmission will respond by first unlocking the locked torque converter then downshift from 5th to 4th and so on until your need is met and the desired speed is achieved. Or "floor it" for instant 2 or 3 gear downshifts. Additionally, the 06 Civic has "grade logic" which places the transmission in 4th, 3rd or a lower gear during downhill decents and keeps it there (for braking) until the transmissions senses you are no longer going downgrade...this grade logic function also works on uphill drives by downshifting to a lower gear (and maintaining that gear)for better keeping up your speed. The "grade logic" eliminates gear hunting (downshifting >upshifting> then downshifting yet again) especially on the uphill pull.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
virtex said:
Hello,

I'm just wondering if I use D1,D2,D3 a lot, is that gonna cause a trouble on transmission later on?
If I use D1 from 0km/h, does it consume more gas?

Also, if I use D3/2/1 as a downshift and engine brake...does it harm the transmission/engine a lot?

Thanks!!
ur car is an auto. it was meant to shift automatically. i would let the car/computer do the job for you the way it was meant to rather than you messing with it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not saying that I'm using D1/2/3.
I just wanted to know if that hurts my transmission or not.
Anyway, thanks guys!

·
Registered
107 Posts
targettuning said:
Additionally, the 06 Civic has "grade logic" which places the transmission in 4th, 3rd or a lower gear during downhill decents and keeps it there (for braking) until the transmissions senses you are no longer going downgrade
I live near hills and I definitely do not feel the Civic driving in lower gears when going downhill. There is absolutely no engine braking if I leave it on D. I swooped downhill going 70mph without touching the gas pedal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts