8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a sinking suspicion that one or more of my motor mounts have ate it. I don't drive hard often, but alas, I do drive hard sometimes.

While taking a friend around to demonstrate the car's performance, I noticed that the 1 -> 2 shift is much more violent than the last time I launched the car (easily around 10k miles ago.) In fact, in further testing (just to make sure it wasn't me having a bad day,) I accelerated normally to redline in first gear and disengaged the clutch -- same reaction; the motor feels as if it's torquing way too much, resulting in a violent unbalance of weight. A hard shift into third gear also feels slightly more "dippy" in the front end of the car.

So! Any other symptoms of a problematic mount(s) I should look for? Any other simple on-road tests I can do (i.e. high RPM throttle stabs?) I'd rather not disassemble all of them just to check their integrity, as that's a lot of work.

Honestly, all I really need is for someone to reply with "buy Boomba/Innovative mounts." I'm that close. I'm thinking I chewed the mounts up pretty badly during my autocross sessions last year -- whole lot of dumping the throttle at 8000 RPM in 2nd gear; the car felt like it was going to do a front flip every time.

·
Premium Member
2,947 Posts
Yeah bro it sounds like you need mounts if your driving your car decently hard sounds like you are the stock ones will take a serious dump. As for aftermarket i can vouch for innovatives i have the 60a there are great minimal vibrations no wheel hop gives the car a much more solid feel overall. However If i were to do it again i would go with the 75s street/track setup. To give it even greater rigidity especially if you track at all.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok! Thanks for the recommendation. I had actually forgotten about the Ingall's torque damper, so I picked a used one up to try out and see if it suits me. The only track I bring my car to is autocross, and that's usually only 4 or 5 times a year (so, 10 days out of the year.) I still do suspect that the mounts have had it, though.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mrphgh?! torque rods? is this a new boomba product? I'm only familiar with the motor mounts and "passenger" mounts.

i went out earlier tonight and ran some more "diagnostics." seems like it was in my head, or perhaps i was just allowing too much time to elapse between letting off the gas and getting the clutch in. gotta stop overthinking this stuff.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I have innovative 75A on my FA5. I've driven someone's FA5 with boomba Kit. They are about the same, but if I really have to choose one, I would say Boomba holds everything a little better, less twist, at same level of vibration. I never try the 65A Kit so I can't comment on that. Also, the Innovative kit installation is a pain in the A$$. It doesnt supply all the hardware you need like nuts and washers. Plus you will have to relocate the ground on both the engine and tranny. Ahh..I don;t want to recall that installation. It was a nightmare...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts