8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Yesterday my 2006 Civic was diagnosed with the problem described in the infamous TSB 10-048: cracked engine block, leaking coolant. That TSB extended the warranty to ten years...meaning that I missed it by about seven months. (Car was sold to original owner in July 2006.)

Independent mechanic quoted $5800 for a new engine, more than the car's value. I was hoping that Honda might show some mercy to those of us in this situation, but based on responses in a thread that I can't link to because I just joined the forum, it seems not. (That thread started by someone else is called "Documenting cracked engine block for those out of the warranty coverage" and it's in Honda Civic Technical > Mechanical Problems and Technical Chat.)

Right now I think the smartest option looks to be simply unloading this car and getting a newer used one, since I definitely can't afford new-new. I am however open to advice here as to whether the $5800 is a fair quote, or whether I should look into used parts, etc.

My main question is: if I do opt to get rid of the car, is it even worth trying to offer it for trade-in at a dealer? (Either manufacturer-affiliated or a local used dealer.) Possibly complicating matters, it also has a pending recall for the passenger side airbag inflator since they haven't got those Takata parts yet!

I'm looking at newer used cars under about $12,000, so even $1000 for this car would help. Would I get more from a junkyard than a dealer at this point?

Thanks....

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thats a tad too much for just another motor honestly. The motor honestly costs around about 1,000 at the most. As far as labor your looking at another $500-600 roughly without fluids and an extra 200 for mishaps.

One word of advice ditch that mechanic and find another reputable shop and stay as far as away as you can from the dealership too. They wanted to charge me 5,800 plus 2,000 for labor for a headgasket job I told them hell F*(&#(*g no.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just paid a machine shop almost $3500 to rebuild my k20z3 that I removed from the car myself. Didn't have to replace the block though. That alone is around $1000. If you can do it yourself it's worth it, otherwise part it out if you can. If not, whatever you can get for it would be better than it sitting.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Dealerships don't give you less then 3k trade in that's why they have a push pull or drag sales. Not carmax which will rip you off on trade ins or drivers select a real dealership. As stated I don't know if you have a r18 or si. The r18 motor is hella cheap plenty of them on eBay for sale for 600-1000 for a entire motor

·
Registered
18 Posts
I agree with megaman. Find a used 2009+ motor on ebay for a few hundred bucks and a new mechanic. You'll be out ~1000 but that car will last a really long time.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I just bought a 2008 Civic EX-L with a bad engine, the engine was ran w/o oil and fried. I am picking up an engine from a 2011 Civic with 85k miles for $400. (The car has 94k on it.)

My dad and I are going to install it ourselves. We are thinking it will take a couple good days to get it in. There is a lot of stuff you have to do to swap the engine!

Make sure if you buy an engine it is from a late 2009-2011. You can check the VIN to know for sure. But you should be able to pick up a good engine for well under $1000. Then you just need to figure out how to get it in! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Best bet is buy a engine and see how much a shop will charge to install it. If it's a si might be worth looking at k24a2 since they can be found for a little over 1000 and still have a good amount of horsepower aND more torque.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts