8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two questions
1st I just did a tranny drain refill and put 2 1/2 bottles in. I drove it around 5 min and the dipstick fluctuates between this:

Font Tints and shades Bicycle part Rim Bumper

Automotive parking light Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive tire

2.) I live I. Texas where it’s hot and leave the car outside. Whenever I start it up the c to h gauge is at 1 block and takes about 10-15 min of driving to get almost back to the middle. Any issues?

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive design

·
Registered
150 Posts
For the tranny. Do you still have the old oil you took out ? if so, you should measure how much you took and add the same amount back and call it quits.

For the temp if the temperature is really hot and the car takes time to heat up.. I would assume that your car does not have a thermostat install... The only way to check is to have another R18 turn on and see the time it takes to get up to operating temp. Also, make sure you have the correct coolant (blue color ) on the car or else you will damage your head.

·
Super Moderator
2,481 Posts
Just for good measure (insurance) I would drain and fill the transmission. Anyway, take it from someone who's done this (drain/fill) numerous times. When you drain your tranny, you SHOULD get about 2.5 quarts. If you case, you might get out a tad more. Whatever. When refilling, dump in the 2 quarts and starting SLOWING putting in the last 0.5 quarts. What you must do:

Have the engine at operating temperature, when you top off (little by little..... take your time and stop to check frequently), be sure to shift the gears once (P-R-N-D-3-2-1, then 1-2-3-D-N-R-P), then check the tranny dipstick.

Stop when the dipstick reads halfway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The thermostat's job is to get the engine warmed up as fast as possible, and now days if they're going to stick they will stick open. I would say your thermostat is missing or stuck open. If I was going to change it I'd go with a 180 degree. But the difference between 195 as specs call for or a 180 is only 15 degrees so you won't go wrong either way.
So is that something major or something I can fix?

·
Registered
921 Posts
You're fine. Mine is like that when I insert the dipstick on different directions but the 2nd photo is showing the correct reading. It's a low chance you have to add more than 2-1/2 qts of fluid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts