8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody here do any HPDE driving? I've been wanting to do this for a few years now, but I didn't think my last car would live up to track duty.

I've come across two car clubs that aren't model specific - Sports Car Driving Association (Sports Car Driving Association - Performance Driving in a Safe and Controlled Environment) and PDA Driving School (PDA Driving School). They both have events at Lime Rock, NJ Motorsports Park, Monticello, and the Poconos (the only tracks I'm willing to drive to) and there are events coming up in April.

Anybody have any experience with these two clubs, or HPDE in general?

I do plan on going to a few events this year - and if anybody else plans on going, well, it'll be cool to see some other Si's on the track :vtec:

·
Registered
750 Posts
I've been to 2 HPDEs @ Limerock with NASA when I still had the prelude. It was a total blast and I definately learned a lot about car control and just having fun safely with it. I heard some people call it the bunny slope of performance driving.

NASA's events are great bc if you're a beginner, they have an instructor go out with you who will break everything down for you and make you notice your mistakes you never realized you were making. As for cost, it is a lot more up front cost than autox, but if you break down seat time per $, in some cases it a better bang for the buck than autox.

I think that having good tires and brakes that can take a beating is more important than at autox simply because you reach higher speeds and each session lasts 20-25 minutes vs 30-60 seconds, so they have more opportunity to overheat during HPDE.

With that said I CAN"T WAIT to go out and do another event. I've done one autox in the Si and had a blast, but nowhere near the level of adrenaline as HPDE. Hit me up if you hear of any upcoming events once the season starts again, I'd definately be down to go!!

Peter

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Pio, nice

I'm going to run fully stock this year, unless the all-seasons burn up sooner (I hope they do) then I'll move to the Dunlop Star Specs. Brakes should last, but as you said, if I find they overheat too quickly, I'll do the pads+fluid swap.

PSA/Nasa has a novice event on April 4 at the Pocono's, but I can't make that one. I'm looking to go with two friends (they have older Tiburons) to Lime Rock on April 20 with SCDA. Registration isn't open yet. I'm really looking forward to this.

Sounds like its a good choice to 'skip over' auto-X

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Would love to do this as well. Always wanted to in my Evo but never had the funds. Being that my car is completely stock what's it going to entail to enjoy the day.

I assume I will rip through a set of pads and rotors, how bad will my tires get eaten up?

PIO,
We should def. get together sometime after work once this weather clears. Maybe even head out to one of these HPDE

·
Registered
750 Posts
I'm down to meet up as long as I don't work or have class.

As for car prep:
1) pads - axxis ultimates if you want to leave them for the street as well, or if you're going to change them for the event only check out something more track dedicated.
2). brake fluid - ATE superblue is great stuff, but I heard great things about Motul, and others.
3). tires - if you go on the stock all season you're going to be squealing and sliding all over the place, the oem summer PE2s aren't even up to track duty. I'd go with a kumho XS, Potenza re01R, or dunlop's Z1 starspec (I think)
4) helmet - gotta have one - some clubs might have loaners, some also allow bike helmets, gotta check with them first.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Thanks for the info! As for the tires you think I could DD with either of the above mentioned. Need new tires come spring time and I'd hate to have to buy 2 sets of tires (summer) Honestly would only plan on tracking the car once maybe twice this year.

I drive 80 miles a day to and from work so I would want a tire that could get me through the spring/summer

·
Registered
750 Posts
Yes, you need to be a member of one of these clubs to participate as far as I know.

As for DD tires, I'd go with either the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec or the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport. The dunlop are better performers for the track, and I've heard of plenty people using them on the streets. The Potenzas are not as agressive dfor track duty, but they're plenty capable for the street thanks to their 340 treadwear rating vs the Dunlop's rating of 200! Doing 80 miles daily, thet might be something to consider.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.