8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything out there you can bolt on that claims better gas mileage for the Si? I read or misread something that says a throttle body spacer helps. Also, I read a short debate that X's Intake can increase gas mileage as well.

·
Banned
1,422 Posts
Any modification that reduces the restriction of air flow in AND out of your motor will improve fuel economy, so long as you drive reasonably.

Other modifications that can potentially improve fuel economy.

• Chromoly flywheel

Forged wheels

Synthetic fluids

Narrower tires

Skip shifting (1, 3, 5, 6) can help improve fuel economy also.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Weight reduction helps with fuel economy. Lightweight wheels, carbon fiber panels, and removing unnecessary stuff helps. Weight reduction in the rotating assembly helps as well. I noticed 1 or 2 better MPG with my NST pulley kit so I would recommend those.

·
Tuna Fiddle
19,256 Posts
Any modification that reduces the restriction of air flow in AND out of your motor will improve fuel economy, so long as you drive reasonably.

Other modifications that can potentially improve fuel economy.

• Chromoly flywheel

Forged wheels

Synthetic fluids

Narrower tires

Skip shifting (1, 3, 5, 6) can help improve fuel economy also.
If you are going to skip gears, make sure you let the revs come down enough to match the gear you are going into. Otherwise you are going to put strain on your syncros.
Weight reduction helps with fuel economy. Lightweight wheels, carbon fiber panels, and removing unnecessary stuff helps. Weight reduction in the rotating assembly helps as well. I noticed 1 or 2 better MPG with my NST pulley kit so I would recommend those.
I like the idea of a pulley kit, but weight reduction like that seems a little extreme for a street car to me.
Weight reduction for me = not wearing underwear. You get the performance of a lighter car and the benefit of getting rid of those pesky pantie lines.
:rotfl:
The driver is the biggest mod to change for better gas mileage.
:thumb: I totally agree. When I don't drive like a jackass, thats when I see the most improvement in gas mileage.
I just got 360 out of my tank. I had ONE bar left. All mixed driving.
:thumb: Thats really good!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
To summ up... looks like so far:

TBS
Intake (I think X intake would be best for mileage because of his AFRs)
Sub in drop in filter for intake
2.5" Headers back Exhaust
Lightweight pulleys
Lightweight Wheels
and possible carbonfiber body panelling...?
use a/c less

I can attest that I installed the TBS/K&N drop in and switched from mid-grade to premium and STILL saw an increase in gas mileage. Its most def noticeable! :thumb:

quick question for you guys, I like to leave the car in defrost when the fans aren't on because (at least for me) when I drive, especially at highway speeds, my vents are circulating air and its most convenient for me when its not on my face... does that still trigger the a/c compressor..? i'de hope not but you never know...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.