8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car is an '07 LX Coupe. The noise is a popping sound that can best be described as popcorn popping or someone sitting in the trunk twisting/crunching large bubblewrap. Adding to the strangeness is that it only happens when it's raining outside. It does not happen when the car is sitting/idling. It seems to be coming from the underneath the back of the car, but I can't quite tell. It is loud enough to be heard over the radio.

I first noticed this back when we had icy weather in Dallas this past February. I was driving in some fairly deep ice ruts for a short period of time. At the time, I thought it was just chunks of ice getting kicked up under the car. But then I noticed it happening when the streets were just wet including this past Friday 5/14. The noise does not necessarily coincide with bumps in the road -- it happens during smooth driving. Looking under the car and in the trunk, there is nothing visibly loose. The spare tire is firmly tied down as well. There are no indicator lights on and there is no change in vehicle performance that I can discern.

I'm driving on suburban concrete streets with no mud or gravel hitting the wheel well. I've thought that maybe it could be that the CV boots were torn by driving in those ice ruts and may be getting water inside. However, the sound seems to be coming from the back end somewhere.

I read the huge thread on the front spring bump stop problem and did a few more forum searches before posting. Hopefully someone else has come across this one. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Only when it's raining? Weird. Is the car all stock? Does it have to be raining or does it happen if there's water in the road but no rain? First thing I'd think of is the water hitting the big exhaust tip if you have an aftermarket exhaust.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only when it's raining? Weird. Is the car all stock? Does it have to be raining or does it happen if there's water in the road but no rain? First thing I'd think of is the water hitting the big exhaust tip if you have an aftermarket exhaust.
All stock at this point. It's got about 38k miles on it, so just outside of the warranty. During the latest episode, it was just lightly raining. I thought about water getting on the hot exhaust parts as well, but I couldn't see why that would just now start happening.

Taking a cue from one of the posters in that bump stop thread, I may try to record the noise the next time it rains. It's springtime in Dallas, so shouldn't be too long before the next big thunderstorm rolls through.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Hate to bump an old thread, but my 07 has recently developed the same sound. Not sure if it's a blown strut, or if the wheel bearing is damaged.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts