8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after a through detailing job yesterday, I put aside my problems I have with my Civic (rattles on the interior, wearing seats/fabric, third gear, second gear issues, peeling rubber by the windshield, etc): it was beautiful.

Today I drive it and I hit a bump. My sunroof sounds like its about to cave in on me, and a thousand little things rattled up there.

This may very well be the final strike this car has. I'm going to go to the dealership, and Im not leaving until every one of these issues is fixed (sans third gear, because I've given up on it, but that doesnt mean I won't mention it).

I will then hold onto it for a little while while I look for a new vehicle, I think. If the problems stay away and I can stop bugging the dealership for shoddy
build quality and worksmanship, I may end up keeping the car, but more likely than not I'll be looking for a replacement soon. The problem is I need to find something in my price range.

I don't want to get rid of this car, but every time I drive it, I'm reminded of why I should sell it. I do not have a lemon, I haven't had mechanical engine issues, but I have had it with Honda's infallible quality. I won't be able to find a car as gorgeous as the Si, and that really makes me sad, because I want to love this car, but I'm worried, financially, it would be a stupid decision to keep it when, in just over a year, I've had the build quality issues I've had with this car.

Anyone have any recommendation for cars/CUVs under $25,000? :(

If you are going to rant about how Honda is God, or my driving sucks, or I'm making a big deal out of nothing, go away. I need support and consolation, this isn't something I want to do.

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
GTI
Altima 3.5
Camry V6
WRX ?
Used RSX S
TSX
lol saturn redline
focus svt
MS3

id still go with the SI everytime.

id invest in modding the SI....without making it look ricey with the Xtra cash

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not really into modifying cars, to be honest. I just like to look good getting from A to B and have a fun time while doing it: something the Si has been good with, until you realize how many flaws it has.

Besides, adding stuff onto when it has the issues it has while its stock seems like a waste to me.

I always did prefer the RSX-S, but from what I hear, third gear is the same for them too.

EDIT: As another note, I don't mean to complain and beat a dead horse ten times over, as these issues have been, but I really would like some advice and suggestion on vehicles.

Part of me is really looking at the CUV market, even though I don't know how I'd function without a sexy, sporty little car.

·
Registered
64 Posts
A nicely styled car, pretty peepy yet really elegant.... Altima Coupe 2.5L is still on the cheap side! SEXY CAR! Poor mans G35

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
Is it possible that it's a collection of problems solely with that car? I think maybe buying a newer 2008 Si might be a better option, should you choose to sell your current one.

I can't say I've had as many issues with mine as you apparently have, and I couldn't recommend a better car for your money than the Si.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I'm looking at a MS3. The Mazdas I had in the past had a MUCH better build and just as reliable as the Honda...but I still love my Si:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I definately feel you on the sunroof rattles and other various sqeaks and stuff, and not to mention the paint. But other than that, since I only have an EX I guess I can't really sympethize with the 3rd gear issue. I just hope whatever you find yourself in the future holds up better for you than the problems you have experienced with your SI.

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jasonandre said:
Is it possible that it's a collection of problems solely with that car? I think maybe buying a newer 2008 Si might be a better option, should you choose to sell your current one.

I can't say I've had as many issues with mine as you apparently have, and I couldn't recommend a better car for your money than the Si.
I thought about this for awhile, but every time I've posted a problem on this forum, countless others have said they had the same thing, or others, upon closer inspection, have had it as well.

Take the black plastic on the base of the windshield that connects the hood area to the windshield. On the passenger side, it is peeling upwards. I made a thread on it, and a lot of people replied and said they had it too.

Third gear, seat wear, rattles, etc. Some people don't have these issues, and I can't understand why. I am probably one of the only people on this site that treats their Civic like a Buick. I drive spirited occassionally, but its washed weekly, if not more, the interior is kept spotless and vacuumed weekly...

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
trogers8 said:
I definately feel you on the sunroof rattles and other various sqeaks and stuff, and not to mention the paint. But other than that, since I only have an EX I guess I can't really sympethize with the 3rd gear issue. I just hope whatever you find yourself in the future holds up better for you than the problems you have experienced with your SI.
Thanks Tim. Part of me feels that I sacrificed some level of "quality" in exchange for performance with the Si, even though I'm sure that is pure silliness.

I think, above all else, my expectation for Honda was way too high, and I was disappointed when this level couldn't be met.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Special Ringpop said:
Thanks Tim. Part of me feels that I sacrificed some level of "quality" in exchange for performance with the Si, even though I'm sure that is pure silliness.

I think, above all else, my expectation for Honda was way too high, and I was disappointed when this level couldn't be met.

NP. I will have to agree with you on the predetermined expection of unparalled quality when I went to buy my Honda. I never put to the thought that the "quality" always spoken of was pretty much just the longevity of the engine...period. But the phrase I just always have heard were how great Honda's were...just never applied it to not applying to the paint/plastic/fabric.

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
trogers8 said:
I just always have heard were how great Honda's were...just never applied it to not applying to the paint/plastic/fabric.
Which are big parts of the car, as far as I'm concerned. Maybe not as big as the engine and transmission, but...

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
Special Ringpop said:
I always did prefer the RSX-S, but from what I hear, third gear is the same for them too.
I've heard this from several rsx-s owners too, but every single one of them said that the problem went away with a short shifter. There also was a problem with dc5's (or so I've heard from a few owners) that every once in a while a higher gear will "lock out" for some reason and force the shift into a lower gear, causing the car to over-rev. From what I can tell this is limited to very few dc5's, and those few also tried to sue honda for not doing a recall on it.

As far as the new car situation goes, I honestly think that you should go back to GM man. I mean, you've never had a real problem with them and you say that you enjoyed them thoroughly(sp), so why wouldn't that be at the top of your list?

Here's a search of all gm vehicles between $10k-$25k.

There's also places like Carmax that you could get a used car in good condition. I've personally never heard a bad thing about carmax dealerships, and every time I've been there the cars have looked great.

If you're looking for something different and (imo) nice, I would consider one of these. I personally think those are pretty nice, and the fact that they're not all that common and one of a kind make them pretty cool to me. I'm absolutely positive that I will be the only one to think so though. lol.

·
Registered
50 Posts
re: replacement for Si

I dont really have any specific issues with my Si, other than a grumpy third gear when its cold outside until it warms up, but I too am not super impressed by lots of little things. Honda has a rep, but part of that rep is due to cars that in general last forever, and also their resale value.....which stems from the 1st part.

If I were looking for a replacement for it in the 25K range I would go with one particular 2 seater.........the 350Z....specifically the Touring with heated seats, etc. Its easy to find a 2 yr old example with under 10,000 miles for under 25K. Sporty, fun, excellent resale, reliable..........if Honda werent trying to stick the Si with 4 seats, I'd think it was shooting for a spot next to the 350Z...........

If you can deal with only 2 seats............but then again, I've never had a soul in my Si's back seats.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
i get down on my car too sometimes... driving home today from work was amazing, i was in a great mood and it was a great drive.... got home and my corsport order came shortly after so i was even happier... installed my progress rear sway and it was going ok at first but i started getting pissed off towards the end (mostly cuz i ran out of sunlight and couldnt find a decent flashlight in my whole house, so that made it tougher) anyway that stressed me out a bit

i drove to my friends house and it does seem like theres less body roll.. but i know my tires are holding me back, i need to upgrade them (stock a/s FTL), but i guess im pretty happy with my rear sway upgrade

so on the way home tonight at my usual 1-2 vtec point :D i grind 2nd UGHHHH my good mood is now destroyed, i HATE hearing that sound, its like a friggen knife going through me... so i take a detour on the way home, i cant stop driving after that just happened or ill stay pissed... so i go to this parking lot and figure ill test out my sway bar more with some quick turns... felt pretty good, not VERY noticeable, but noticeable none the less

anyway coming out of this place is another favorite vtec point.... i figure i can makeup for my bad performance earlier... i rip it and BAM 3rd gear grind.... i havent had a grind in any gear before tonight in a long time so theres another knife through my heart... anyway now im all pissed and stressed about my car.. but i figure tomorrow ill quick detail her to perfection and install my intake and hopefully not have too many headaches with that

·
Registered
361 Posts
Special Ringpop said:
Third gear, seat wear, rattles, etc. Some people don't have these issues, and I can't understand why. I am probably one of the only people on this site that treats their Civic like a Buick. I drive spirited occassionally, but its washed weekly, if not more, the interior is kept spotless and vacuumed weekly...
You are not alone. I can probably count on one hand how many times I've hit iVTEC in the past week. I drive my car like an old lady, slowing down over train tracks and avoiding known pothole areas like the plague. I also wash/detail my car weekly.

I have a few rattles and creaks here and there, but I try not to let them shake my opinion of the car. I've had 3rd gear pull it's "Tom Foolery" maybe 3 times since I've owned the car. Seat wear? I'm like frickin' Nadia Comaneci jumping in and out of this thing! My girlfriend thinks I'm retarded!

When my car got totaled and I was given a check from the insurance company, my first thought was of an import. (I have never owned/driven one in my life, until now.) When my mind wandered to a Honda, I was under the impression that these things were perfect. Some mystical aura hung over the name. I was wrong. They are mass produced, cookie cutter cars that hold a lot of similarities with vehicles produced by the "Big 3". Drivetrain aside, interior and exterior make-up is something I would expect from a Neon or Cavalier.

All in all, I am happy with my choice. It looks nice, runs like a top (or raped ape, depending on the RPM's), and is awesome on gas. Trust me, I researched long and hard before I landed on an Si. In it's price range, there is not much else that impressed me.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I thought I had "rattling" sounds from my new Si but I took the wheel locks and made everything in the glove compartment that was loose more organized or in the trunk..

Now I don't hear the "rattling" sounds so far... (knock on wood)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts