8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2008 hatchback, and I'm looking into buying an android head unit under 300 euros. Do you have any suggestions? I was thinking on atoto a6 which has lots of positive reviews on amazon, but it only has 2 gb of ram =/.

The other options are the pumpkin and the xtrons. Both of them have 4gb of ram.

Do you guys know any of these units or others that I'm missing?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,977 Posts
I would concentrate on having the latest Android version of "oreo" (I think), or 8.1 or higher, Octacore processor, 4+gb of ram. Some of them have 8. The more, the better. Atoto I've heard of, Seicane, Daisita, Pumpkin I heard of and seem to be good. Aliexpress is a good place to look as well. Amazon typically charges more for these things.

Good luck, hope this helps.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a Seicane one in my 06 civic, Android 9.0, 4GB RAM, & 32GB storage. It’s great and all, but the screen is really reflective in the day time. There’s a joying one that’s made of higher Quality material. But be aware, if something stops working you’re stuck with it. Any brand. They might send you a replacement part and you’ll have to fix it yourself. I’m speaking from experience because the screen went out on mine and I had to swap it out myself.

·
Super Moderator
1,977 Posts
I have a Seicane one in my 06 civic, Android 9.0, 4GB RAM, & 32GB storage. It’s great and all, but the screen is really reflective in the day time. There’s a joying one that’s made of higher Quality material. But be aware, if something stops working you’re stuck with it. Any brand. They might send you a replacement part and you’ll have to fix it yourself. I’m speaking from experience because the screen went out on mine and I had to swap it out myself.
Does the screen look factory or is it one of those "tablet" looking screens? I plan on buying one soon.

The cons of these units is that there just isn't much customer service behind them, then again, they are cheap enough for some of us not to care. I thought I saw Pioneer or Sony have an "android like" head unit, but those are expensive ($1K+).

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's a tablet size screen, 10.1 inches of pure goodness. I want a Tesla when I have the money, so I'm settling. I don't remember which one I have, but it's one of THOSE and the more expensive one

·
Super Moderator
1,977 Posts
Nice! I've been eyeing them for a while now, but I REALLY want a physical volume knob. The choices are few if you want a large screen. There is a Telsa-like headunit (with A/C controls on the screen) that is a match for our Civics, but so little is known I'm afraid to dive into getting one. (see pic)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went with the pumpkin 7 inch, octacore 4gb ram. The volume knob was the reason i choose this one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would not consider those Chinese, Andriod-based head units. Usually, the included features are not fully polished.

·
Super Moderator
1,977 Posts
I would not consider those Chinese, Andriod-based head units. Usually, the included features are not fully polished.
Completely understand. There are units and there are units. One has to do their due search and get a solidly spec'ed unit. I've been following people and many do not experience problems, but at the same time, many do. The one I pictured above I wouldn't get b/c no one has heard or experimented with it. Normally a model will have "many manufactures" (sounds strange, I know), but are spec'ed differently (different operating system, less/more ram and/or processor, add ons, etc etc). The Pioneer/Sony/Kenwood units are not android, but do offer very similar features, but are nowhere near the features an Android unit offers. They are also much more expensive, but are more reliable. I hope they change and/or the Chinese units become much more trustworthy and robust.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice, have a picture? How do you like?
Well the unit arrived and I already installed it. After a week of use I can say the sound quality isn't stellar but it isn't bad, I would say its on pair with the oem head unit that came with the car. The radio reception it's a little weak (maybe the power antenna cable it's not making a good connection). Hands free call works great, Bluetooth streaming works great as well, and having android makes a big difference, it's an open world.
The only things I'm not to happy is that with bright sunlight hitting the display its hard to see. (My phone screen for example can be much brighter).

·
Super Moderator
1,977 Posts
Well the unit arrived and I already installed it. After a week of use I can say the sound quality isn't stellar but it isn't bad, I would say its on pair with the oem head unit that came with the car. The radio reception it's a little weak (maybe the power antenna cable it's not making a good connection). Hands free call works great, Bluetooth streaming works great as well, and having android makes a big difference, it's an open world.
The only things I'm not to happy is that with bright sunlight hitting the display its hard to see. (My phone screen for example can be much brighter).
That is disappointing to hear. Well, FWIW, my OEM screen isn't the best to view in direct sunlight and I've gotten used to the average sound quality from it. I'm not an audiophile. I know there are alot of models that "stick out" and are large screen. Those happen to be manufactured by many makes, anyway, those (according to youtube, etc) screens seem to be very bright and sound ok, no volume knob, though. If you have pictures to share, that would be great.

Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is disappointing to hear. Well, FWIW, my OEM screen isn't the best to view in direct sunlight and I've gotten used to the average sound quality from it. I'm not an audiophile. I know there are alot of models that "stick out" and are large screen. Those happen to be manufactured by many makes, anyway, those (according to youtube, etc) screens seem to be very bright and sound ok, no volume knob, though. If you have pictures to share, that would be great.

Thanks for sharing
Sure I will post some pictures right now I'm on vacation when I get home I will post some.
I saw some of those models that had screens that stick out but I was worried that it would block the air vents

·
Super Moderator
1,977 Posts
Sure I will post some pictures right now I'm on vacation when I get home I will post some.
I saw some of those models that had screens that stick out but I was worried that it would block the air vents
The protruded screen will interfere with air flow toward the passenger, then again, the pass has 2 vents for them. I haven't warmed up to the larger than life screen and I do prefer a volume knob..............rughhhhh.

Thanks, can't wait to see the pics.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nice too see that you also got a radio like I did. If you want better sound quality, buy better speakers. You’re gonna get the same sound because you’re using stock speakers, so nothing is gonna change until you upgrade your speakers too. I also have the same problem with not being able to see if the sun is shining on it. Can’t be helped, just keep your eyes on the road lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So the speakers are the bottleneck here not the head unit nice to know, I'm no audiophile and I'm OK with this setup

1 - 18 of 18 Posts