8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my next oil change is coming up and i dont know which one i should get. can anybody tell me their experience with the products and things related to that? im more into performance and wear than fuel efficency.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I'm using Amsoil right now. A friend of mine who modifies and rebuilds Nissan SR20 engines told me that he tore down a engine that used Amsoil its whole life. It was clean and very little wear considering the high mileage. So, I gave it a shot.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm using Amsoil right now. A friend of mine who modifies and rebuilds Nissan SR20 engines told me that he tore down a engine that used Amsoil its whole life. It was clean and very little wear considering the high mileage. So, I gave it a shot.
okay ill try amsoil.

·
Banned
3,565 Posts
I've only used Royal Purple for many years in my other car and have been happy with it. I also used Royal Purple for a year or so in the Civic but just recently changed to Pennziol Platinum for no real reason other than it is just as good and was available.

Any of the oil choices you mentioned are a good choice so go with what you can get. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I've been using the Amsoil 5W-30 ASL since Monday. As expected, the engine runs smoother. But it's always like that after changing to fresh new oil. The real difference I notice is the engine seems more quiet and less vibration. As for performance, I haven't had the opportunity for spirited driving.

I changed the tranny fluid at the same time. I didn't have any 3rd gear problems, but I decided to change anyways in case the 3rd gear problem happens with age or wear. Shifting is butter soft smooth. Seems effortless for the car and driver. Definately worth the 20 bucks.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Where are you guys changing your fluids ... Honda, or do I have to go elsewhere if I want to use other types of oils?

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Where are you guys changing your fluids ... Honda, or do I have to go elsewhere if I want to use other types of oils?
My buddy's family owns a shop with a lift and air tools. I found my local Amsoil Dealer from using Google. I guess it would be the same for all oil manufacturers.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Yeah, I went from Amsoil to Mobile 1 due to price. Although I do have Amsoil MTF. I highly recommend that you don't do it yourself just because of the filter location. I would go to a Midas as they will put your oil in for you for like $10.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
i went from mobile 1 to eneos 0w-50..smoother drive

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the thing is that im afraid that the oil change places would keep the oil u bought or gived to them and fill ur car up with crap oil.

·
Registered
227 Posts
the only thing i worry about is that shops like midas dont seem like they take as much care as you would with your own car. i am always very miticulous about cleaning of the oil that drips out when your take off the filter, and i dont think shops really care about that stuff cuz they have so many other cars to work on

1 - 20 of 167 Posts