8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone using any of these tranny fluids,im using amsoil mtf,but wanna try something else,wanna know if the royal purple stuff is any good,im leaning towards redline mtl's MTF..plz any comments

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good question, im also curious about Motul.
ya i did a post on here about motul mtf and someone tried it over amsoil,and th guy said that motul had better shifts but kinda sucky in cold starts..someone told me redlines MTL's MTF is better than amsoil an hes running boost so he its better but ya dont know for sure

·
Registered
800 Posts
I've used the Honda MTF, Amsoil, and RedLine MTL. I like the RedLine best. I'm running it in my 08 FA5, and my VIN numbers say that mine was made AFTER the 3rd gear fix. My tranny shifts better in all condions with the RedLine. The Amsoil seemed to work better when it's really cold though (it doesn't get really cold for very long here though). The RedLine really seems to take the heat well and hold up.

·
Premium Member
2,947 Posts
Im using amsoil products for while now. Good stuff however the syncromesh fluid(amsoil) breaks down quickly it seems. When i first did it it was smooth as butter i loved it. Now its kinda notchy again. Is it bad to switch it out now i have 12k miles with the amsoil stuff and want to try redline or something else?

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
im using redline ...it's ok not the best. heard stock is alot better or amsoil
:facepalm: you heard wrong.

I tried Amsoil, Redline and GM's Syncromesh. I liked all of them.

the GM juice is in my tranny now because its easy and cheap to get and i can flush the tranny every 15k -/+ for relatively cheap.

·
Registered
800 Posts

the GM juice is in my tranny now because its easy and cheap to get and i can flush the tranny every 15k -/+ for relatively cheap.
Hit the nail on the head. They are all good fluids, so it might be best to use what you can get easiest and cheapest around you. Taylor Engineering is close to me, and they have a good price on RedLine, so that is what I'm using now. It's nothing to swing by there and pick up a couple quarts. If your local GM dealer is selling the Syncromesh, then that will be fine, local Amsoil dealer, then that route.

I can get the RedLine for the same price or cheaper than the Honda stuff is at the dealer.

I don't think your tranny will fall apart using any of these

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've used the Honda MTF, Amsoil, and RedLine MTL. I like the RedLine best. I'm running it in my 08 FA5, and my VIN numbers say that mine was made AFTER the 3rd gear fix. My tranny shifts better in all condions with the RedLine. The Amsoil seemed to work better when it's really cold though (it doesn't get really cold for very long here though). The RedLine really seems to take the heat well and hold up.
how could u tell by ur vin

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

i think alot of has to do with the weight of the oil,like i think honda used 70w-80 and amsoil mtf isnt that and redline MTL is and motul doesnt make 70w-80,but guess what i just read on amsoil website that not to use the MTF is ur tranny is limited slip..check it out,go down to where it says applications on page.

AMSOIL - Synthetic Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid (MTF)

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
So now it's between Amsoil and Redline to me. If I can't figure out which one to use, I'll just stick with the Honda Genuine one. There's nothing wrong with the stock one I believe.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
So now it's between Amsoil and Redline to me. If I can't figure out which one to use, I'll just stick with the Honda Genuine one. There's nothing wrong with the stock one I believe.
I would just go with either you one that you can get access to, and if it's within budget.

I went with Redline personally and it's working out great! :thumb:

·
Registered
376 Posts
RP Synchromax doesn't work well with our tranny... It makes a bad shuddering and grinding on turns.... I'm using RP 75w90.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts