8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the synthetic motor oil users out there, I would love to hear your thoughts on the three motor oils. I have never used synthetic oil and would like to begin using it on my 07 Si sedan, which I drive aggressively from time to time. Amsoil's website recommends three different kinds. http://www.amsoil.com/scripts/runisa.dll?amsoiloaf:index

It seems that whenever anyone talks about using Amsoil, they are referring to the ASL "model" rather than the XL. However, I'm not planning to use a long oil change interval, which may defeat the purpose of ASL. I'll probably go with a 7500 mile interval which would be perfect for the XL. At the same time, the ASL is a Group IV oil and the XL a Group III, and would prefer to use a better oil.

For those who think that the XL is sufficient, how would that compare to Mobil 1? I have heard various rumors that Mobil 1, which claims to be a true Group IV synthetic oil, may actually be Group III. If this is so, any thoughts on Amsoil XL vs. Mobil 1?

Sorry for the laborious explanation, thanks for any input.

Summary: Do I actually need Amsoil ASL? If not, should I use Amsoil XL or Mobil 1?

·
Registered
436 Posts
I would say the series 2000 0w-30 is the AMSoil best for your car. Or the Mobile 1 syn. Both have shown high in test.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i noticed a good difference on the mobil 1 change, but next time i'm doing it my self and putting either Q Horsepower in or Q High revving. Maybe some of both!

·
Registered
967 Posts
Topline said:
However, I'm not planning to use a long oil change interval, which may defeat the purpose of ASL. I'll probably go with a 7500 mile interval which would be perfect for the XL.
Summary: Do I actually need Amsoil ASL? If not, should I use Amsoil XL or Mobil 1?
Use whichever you want as there is no appreciable difference in performance or engine wear between the those products.

Topline said:
If this is so, any thoughts on Amsoil XL vs. Mobil 1?
No one can say for sure which one is better because no one has independently tested M1 vs. XL. However, either lube is more than adequate; this is a Civic we're talking about after all.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What do you guys like about Royal Purple? How does it compare to other synthetics you've used?

I

·
0 Posts
Basic run-down of the ProStreetOnline tests.
Following our average calculations, the 350Z put down 224.59 hp and 220.46 ft/lbs Stock.
Following our average calculations, the 350Z put down 232.78 hp and 217.43 ft/lbs with the MOBIL1.
Following our average calculations, the 350Z put down 231.52 hp and 224.35 ft/lbs with the Greddy.
Following our average calculations, the 350Z put down 237.49 hp and 223.81 ft/lbs with the AMSOIL
Following our average calculations, the 350Z put down 242 hp and 226.53 ft/lbs with Royal Purple.
Once again Royal Purple FTW!!

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
4DoorWhore said:
Go to this link, it might help you choose one
http://my.prostreetonline.com/t2540.htm
Straight from that link:

Well hello all! This is my first post on here and I hope it will shed some light on a commonly misunderstood topic. I am an 18 year independent AMSOIL synthetic lubricants dealer and run Hi-Tech Oil Co. I also have been in the automotive repair and maintenance field for over 20 years, so I have a tad bit of experience in this field.

I read the, "oil test", and found it to be of little or no value. (Gasp! Did he really say that?). You bet I did! First of all, what information can be gleaned from a controlled dyno test vs real world performance are two different things entirely. The horsepower and torque differences amongst the oils tested was minimal at best. I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone go dumping out their Mobil 1 because another oil delivered 1.7 more horsepower in a dyno test.

Oils are manufactured to a viscosity range. For example, a 5W-30 falls within a range of, "thickness", and can actually vary a bit. If you have an oil that is on the, "thicker", side of this range it generally will protect engine parts better while sacrificing 1.7 horsepower, (or whatever), because it is a, "thicker", 5W-30 and thus creates more drag, reducing power a tad. While on the other hand, we can have a, "thinner", 5W-30 oil that wont protect engine parts as well, but will generate more power in a dyno test. Does this make one oil better or worse than the another? Absolutely not. There are many different factors to an oil and its formulation. Anointing one oil over another as, "superior", because it made 1.7 more horsepower, (or whatever), in a garage dyno test, is not an accurate, or valid way to evaluate an oil. Indeed, for this reason, dyno test results are not used by the S.A.E., (Society of Automotive Engineers), or A.S.T.M., (American Society for Testing and Materials).

There are standard and accepted A.S.E. and A.S.T.M. test results that are used by engineers to determine an oils performance vs other oils and this test data can be found on a given oils Product Data Sheet, that can be had from any oil manufacturer. This is one industry accepted method of comparing various oils.

Also, keep in mind, what is good for a race car doesn't automatically mean it is good for a street car. An oil that performs well on the race track may very well not be ideally suited for the entirely different world of a street car that has to deal with an entirely different set of demands and needs than a race car does.

If any of you have any questions, please feel free send them my way.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts