8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installing an Alpine S-A32F 4 Channel Amplifier into a 06 Honda Civic EX Sedan with stock head unit and stock 6 speaker configuration.

Spent a quarantine weekend installing an amplifier in my car! Just clocked my first 10K miles after 3 months of driving, so now the odometer reads 140K. So far so good. The car drives great.
The stock sound system is not satisfactory to my tastes . I'm used to clarity and balance in my listening sessions. I listen to the machine gun beats of Drake. Hectic rock and roll by The Mars Volta. Clean jazz by Joshua Redman. Lofi beats from Spotify radio. I also like to listen to podcasts...What I am trying to show is that I listen to a lot of different kind of sounds and what I'm looking for in a sound system is versatility and the ability to overpower road noise on the highway.

So I've embarked on a budget build for my 06 Honda Civic EX. After installing the Alpine S-A32F 4 channel amplifier into my Civic, below the drivers seat - here are my thoughts.

1. Stock sound, while playing Spotify on my Iphone through the aux port, started to distort around 17~20 volume level. After my amplifier install I am able to crank the volume up towards ~27. Which leads to some significant listening fatigue (my ears ring when I get out of the car). This is good! Now I just need to be careful to not overpower the stock speakers which will result in the hideous crackling of a blown speaker.

2. Stock speakers seem to be holding up fine so far. They are able to produce the sound of a bass guitar with so much more clarity than before. I am really happy with the sound of the mid bass frequencies, powered by an amp. Not only can my ears hear a difference but I can literally feel the door speakers punch the sides of my calves when a drum machine bass kick sound is sent through. This is cool! The only problem I am running into now is that the door panels are obnoxiously rattling. Next step will be to buy some 80mil kilmat and rattle proof the doors and the rear deck panel. (about 50 dollars on Amazon)

3. With the gain level on the amp set to its lowest setting - I believe that the weakest link in my current sound system will be the dash tweaters. because I am running a high pass filter to all four corners of the car - I think I will be able to prevent the current woofers from blowing - but time will tell. My first speaker purchase will be some 50-100 dollar tweaters with an inline crossover that I can flushmount into the stock tweater speaker grills. I have previously enjoyed the sound of tweeter speakers being deflected off the windshielf. I think it rounds off any harshness that may be percieved because of low quality Iphone music files.

All in all I'm super happy with the results of wiring in an amplifier with the stock head unit! It has definitely exceeded expectations and now I'm chomping at the bit to buy a little powered subwoofer to put beneath my passenger seat. Trunk space is ultimately more important to me these days than being able to rattle the neighborhood with obnoxious amounts of bass. The days of 1000watt monoblocks and 12" subs are long behind me.

I would recommend this upgrade to anyone that enjoys listening to music in their car! at about 300 dollars (if you do all the labor yourself) It's a super worthwhile upgrade to increase listening enjoyability - especially on the highway with the windows down.

· Registered
3 Posts
Installing an Alpine S-A32F 4 Channel Amplifier into a 06 Honda Civic EX Sedan with stock head unit and stock 6 speaker configuration.

Spent a quarantine weekend installing an amplifier in my car! Just clocked my first 10K miles after 3 months of driving, so now the odometer reads 140K. So far so good. The car drives great.
The stock sound system is not satisfactory to my tastes . I'm used to clarity and balance in my listening sessions. I listen to the machine gun beats of Drake. Hectic rock and roll by The Mars Volta. Clean jazz by Joshua Redman. Lofi beats from Spotify radio. I also like to listen to podcasts...What I am trying to show is that I listen to a lot of different kind of sounds and what I'm looking for in a sound system is versatility and the ability to overpower road noise on the highway.

So I've embarked on a budget build for my 06 Honda Civic EX. After installing the Alpine S-A32F 4 channel amplifier into my Civic, below the drivers seat - here are my thoughts.

1. Stock sound, while playing Spotify on my Iphone through the aux port, started to distort around 17~20 volume level. After my amplifier install I am able to crank the volume up towards ~27. Which leads to some significant listening fatigue (my ears ring when I get out of the car). This is good! Now I just need to be careful to not overpower the stock speakers which will result in the hideous crackling of a blown speaker.

2. Stock speakers seem to be holding up fine so far. They are able to produce the sound of a bass guitar with so much more clarity than before. I am really happy with the sound of the mid bass frequencies, powered by an amp. Not only can my ears hear a difference but I can literally feel the door speakers punch the sides of my calves when a drum machine bass kick sound is sent through. This is cool! The only problem I am running into now is that the door panels are obnoxiously rattling. Next step will be to buy some 80mil kilmat and rattle proof the doors and the rear deck panel. (about 50 dollars on Amazon)

3. With the gain level on the amp set to its lowest setting - I believe that the weakest link in my current sound system will be the dash tweaters. because I am running a high pass filter to all four corners of the car - I think I will be able to prevent the current woofers from blowing - but time will tell. My first speaker purchase will be some 50-100 dollar tweaters with an inline crossover that I can flushmount into the stock tweater speaker grills. I have previously enjoyed the sound of tweeter speakers being deflected off the windshielf. I think it rounds off any harshness that may be percieved because of low quality Iphone music files.

All in all I'm super happy with the results of wiring in an amplifier with the stock head unit! It has definitely exceeded expectations and now I'm chomping at the bit to buy a little powered subwoofer to put beneath my passenger seat. Trunk space is ultimately more important to me these days than being able to rattle the neighborhood with obnoxious amounts of bass. The days of 1000watt monoblocks and 12" subs are long behind me.

I would recommend this upgrade to anyone that enjoys listening to music in their car! at about 300 dollars (if you do all the labor yourself) It's a super worthwhile upgrade to increase listening enjoyability - especially on the highway with the windows down.
How did you install the aftermarket amp? Splice it in or use an adapter? The previous owner removed the stock amp under the seat and I can't find a replacement.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts