8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question for you guys, probably unplugged. I've got a power acoustik 380 watt amp and a polk gxr 10" sub. I just hooked it all up, but when it goes to hit hard the amp turns on the protection light and kicks the sub off. I've turned up and down the gain, if i turn the gain down alot it won't do it as much, but as soon as i get to something that hits hard, it cuts off pretty quick. Any idea's?
I'm pretty sure my grounds good.

·
Registered
380 Posts
check your ground connection... (small ground cables are the best)

also check if there isnt any rest of cooper between the postive and negative connector of the amp

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
cornflake said:
Got a question for you guys, probably unplugged. I've got a power acoustik 380 watt amp and a polk gxr 10" sub. I just hooked it all up, but when it goes to hit hard the amp turns on the protection light and kicks the sub off. I've turned up and down the gain, if i turn the gain down alot it won't do it as much, but as soon as i get to something that hits hard, it cuts off pretty quick. Any idea's?
I'm pretty sure my grounds good.
what's the length of your ground cable? Under 18" is best

where is the ground connected? If its connected to part of the car with paint on it, take some of the paint off to show bare metal.. see if that helps.

Is it the same gauge as the power wire to the amp? If your ground is 8ga then your power should be 8ga.. I know some people run a 4ga wire to the trunk like I do, but then split it to multiple amps using 8ga.. So as long as what's plugged in the amp matches, then your good.

Is the remote wire connected good on both ends?

Are any of the speaker or power wires plugged into the amp touching each other? Even just one little peice of wire?

Check those first. The amp would shut off if there is a short or its overloaded.

Does it happen at all when your at normal listening volume?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this is actually in my sonoma. I bought the cheapy wiring kit from Sprawl Mart and it has 4ga. power and 8 ga ground wire. Never really gave it second thought, but if it's that big of a deal, i'll go find some new ground wire. I grounded it about a foot away on a bolt inside the little jump seat in the ext. cab. I scraped alot of the paint away. I guess i'll try the ground thing, but i thought if the ground was acting up it would cut the amp off completely. Right now it only goes into protection for about 4-5 seconds when i put a song on that has a whole lot of bass in it and crank it up pretty loud. But it does it when i have the gain down low and high.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Silver8th said:
I've had that problem before when I had the -+ wires on the woofer box wrong.
As long as the ground wire is bigger than the power wire your good, make sure its screwed down to bare metal.
its best to match the sizes.. you don't want more return than your feeding

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
cornflake said:
this is actually in my sonoma. I bought the cheapy wiring kit from Sprawl Mart and it has 4ga. power and 8 ga ground wire. Never really gave it second thought, but if it's that big of a deal, i'll go find some new ground wire. I grounded it about a foot away on a bolt inside the little jump seat in the ext. cab. I scraped alot of the paint away. I guess i'll try the ground thing, but i thought if the ground was acting up it would cut the amp off completely. Right now it only goes into protection for about 4-5 seconds when i put a song on that has a whole lot of bass in it and crank it up pretty loud. But it does it when i have the gain down low and high.
The quality of wire is important, especially if its poorly shielded. You could introduce a lot of interferance. I can't see 380watt going into protection mode though because of it

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, i am going to try to find some 4ga ground wire. Actually, it is scosche brand. From looking at it the power wires look decent, quality anyways. The rca's are a little shabby looking. I'm just wanting to add some more kick to my work truck, i'll try all that's listed. Could it be the sub possibly??

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
well its unlikely to be a short or would remain in protection mode all the time. If its a bad ground connection its possible since it is getting fed 12v positive but can't return 12v equally.

·
Registered
380 Posts
i had the same problem

and it was a little piece of cooper between the speaker connectors that made a bridge so you have to check if isnt that...

make the ground shorter

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
leviathan18 said:
i had the same problem

and it was a little piece of cooper between the speaker connectors that made a bridge so you have to check if isnt that...

make the ground shorter
yeah if the speakers are slightly connected it could happen. But if its the power wires, the amp should be off constant.

12" for ground is short enough - its hard to get shorter usually.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I regrounded it and still the same thing. So i had an old profile 200 watt amp and hooked it up and it worked fine, WTF? The power acoustik amp is brand new, but i bought it off ebay, so ****, any other ideas???? Thanks!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, i've just never heard of an amp doing this. And i have had 3 power acoustik amps total and the others were awesome for the $$$. Any other ideas before i give up on the amp? Thanks unplugged.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
update!

Well, something is definitely wrong w/ my amp. So i am stuck w/ a paperweight. And after putting that little profile amp on the sub i decided i didn't want it in my little truck. So, i ripped it all out and put in the back of the new civic. Even though my amp right now is way underpowered, it still sounds great in there. I ended up having to use a LOC b/c i want to keep the oem unit in the civic, I still managed to gain a decent amount of kick from my cheapy sub and amp. Later on i'll upgrade them both , i'm fixing to have to move and going to have to take on all the expenses associated w/ it so a new equipment is out. Thanks unplugged for your help.

·
Registered
380 Posts
open the power accoustic and see if there isnt any cooper wire inside

believe i had the same problem the stupid amp worked after a minute or so it pass to protection i was about to put it in the trash because i bought it on ebay and i said mmm lets see how is an amp inside when i saw the cooper wire i took it out connected the amp and the amp is serving well....

after that my kicker staret to pass over protection when i the bass kicked too much after a couple of month i saw magic smoke few bad caps killed my 1k $ amp :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts