8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to install a sub and amp into my 07 EX. I tinkered around looking for the best place to run the power wire through the firewall and have yet to find a suitable solution. I’m curious to know how others have gotten around this problem. Also, what is the best tie in for the remote wire on the amp? I have traditionally found an existing grommet in the firewall to run the positive through and typically i run the remote wire to the cigarette lighter. Is this a good method for a 07? Ill only be running an 8 gauge wire through, so I don’t need a huge hole. Any input would be appreciated. Also, if anyone has pictures of where they went through the firewall that would simplify things.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
On the driver side near the fuses look for a rubber grommet type deal on the side. It leads out to the fender. Shouldn't be too hard once your in the wheel well.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The remote wire can be tapped into the fuse box in the steering column if you want. I'm not sure where the grommet for the power wire is in the 07 EX, sorry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So there is a fuse box in the steering column? Or are you talking about the on in the kick panel? Is this the only place to get through the firewall? I would like to avoid routing through the fender if i can. Id prefer a more direct route, unless this is the most direct way. Im not familiar with the new honda layout. So if you have any other suggestions to make it a clean and easy install that would help out a lot.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
lostdaytomorrow said:
The remote wire can be tapped into the fuse box in the steering column if you want.
Heck you could just tap into the h/u's switched +12v wire (red). As long as you fuse it, it'll be okay. I've actually done this in the past.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I thought he was going aftermarket which is why I said to tap into the switched 12v. If he's keeping stock, I'd x2 on Chylld & Lost's suggestions.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Yeah, I meant in the kick. Same thing, different words, my bad. I'm using fuse #36 if i remember correctly. If you'd like, I can go check if you don't want to test the fuses with a DMM.

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Shmobbin said:
So there is a fuse box in the steering column? Or are you talking about the on in the kick panel? Is this the only place to get through the firewall? I would like to avoid routing through the fender if i can. Id prefer a more direct route, unless this is the most direct way. Im not familiar with the new honda layout. So if you have any other suggestions to make it a clean and easy install that would help out a lot.
there are no other holes depending on which model you have. I have an Si.. someone said there's a hole above the gas pedal assembly but it doesn't exist on mine. The hole on the left side that goes into the fender is there. It's real trick to run a wire through that small hole and get it up where you can grab it. Your best bet is drilling a hole, large enough for future projects in mind. Just make sure not to drill on anything on either side. I went ahead and drilled my own hole with one of those bits that look like three spikes, the one in the middle being the longest (forgot the name of it) 7/8" cuz I have to run a lot of stuff. I filed it down and painted it so it won't rust. I got a rubber grommet that I hollowed out and ran the wires inside of wire loom which fits perfectly in the grommet. It'll never let anything in and won't rust. :thumb:
It's really not that much work. another 15-20 min, most of that being planning for a spot and cutting away insulation.

·
Registered
35 Posts
On my 06 sedan there was a factory hole near the gas pedal with a plastic plug in it that I used. Just poped out the plug and install a proper grommet.

As for the remote turn on for the amp just follow my guide as chylld said earlier .

·
Registered
235 Posts
another remote turn-on option is this the Trunk-LOC which not only gives you the remote signal, but also implements a delay which would stop the pop i'm getting when my stereo turns on/off...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts