8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im getting 2 10" alpine type r dual voice coil 4-ohm subwoofers. model SWR-1042D. i was wondering which amp do i need to power these subs? do i need one or two amps?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
1 amp is fine. Wire the subs in parallel throughout and you'll be down to 1 ohm. Those subs handle 500 watts rms so you'll want something 800 - 1000 watts. 1000 watts is what you should shoot for. Unfortunately 1000 watt amps are a bit expensive to come by so be sure to plan to spend 500 - 1000 bucks at retail... less if from ebay.

things to look for:

1. 800 - 1000 rms watts at 1 or 4 ohms.
2. mono channel class d amplifier.
3. WARRANTY! believe me it comes in handy.

rockford fosgate is really the only amp that comes to mind for 1ohm stability at 800-1000 watts. Perhaps others know of more?

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
You could also go with a two channel amp and wire them in series at 4 ohms. From my experience though, you really don't need 1000 watts.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Mono amps are more stable at lower resistance 2 ohms or lower, seeing as you have DVC subs then you have a lot of wiring options

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Elemental Designs has a 1200 watt @ 1ohm amp for 350 bucks. I remember a few people on the forum said they were pretty good, however I have not used them.

·
Registered
214 Posts
1 amp is fine. Wire the subs in parallel throughout and you'll be down to 1 ohm. Those subs handle 500 watts rms so you'll want something 800 - 1000 watts. 1000 watts is what you should shoot for. Unfortunately 1000 watt amps are a bit expensive to come by so be sure to plan to spend 500 - 1000 bucks at retail... less if from ebay.

things to look for:

1. 800 - 1000 rms watts at 1 or 4 ohms.
2. mono channel class d amplifier.
3. WARRANTY! believe me it comes in handy.

rockford fosgate is really the only amp that comes to mind for 1ohm stability at 800-1000 watts. Perhaps others know of more?
mtx 7801 i think. thats what i have

·
Registered
98 Posts
Do not under power Type R subs. They need alot of power.

I suggest the Rockford P1000 mono amp ($600 at Best Buy).

You will NEED at least a 1 farad CAP (bigger is better) to keep from pulling too much power off of your charging system. This will also allow the amp to function properly and sound its best.

I also highly recommend that you have a certified installer wire the subs/box for you, dual coils require making sure they are wired properly to keep from frying something, I've seen problems many times by amateurs doing their wiring.

Ask the installer his opinion on the box. What type and size of box you install the subs in is CRITICAL to how they will sound. Some sales people know what they are talking about, but the installation technician is your best best.

Lastly, I'm not big on pushing service plans in general but for car amps and subs - GET IT!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts