8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone install the OEM LED Ambient Lighting kit? I installed it last week. What do you think of it? I really like it. But, with one reservation. Its a little too bright. I tried dimming it a bit with some electrical tape, but all it does is give it too obvious of a "cut-off". Anyone know anything else I can use? I'm thinking maybe some "frosted" scotch tape or something to difuse the light more. Any ideas?

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
can you post up some pics? I haven't seen it in person, so I'm not even sure how the bulbs look. Are they incased in like a neon tube orrr? I haven't seen them to know how it is in the car. Does it get hot? = like could you put a piece of thin fabric over it to cover some light. - obviously not if it's hot.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pictures suck to get, because my camera sucks at night. But i'll try my best. They're actually LEDs. They're in a circular enclosure with half black (on the side closest to the passengers) and a clearish plastic on the other half. There are two LEDs in there. I'll check to see if they get hot tonight.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If your camera has a timer on it and if you can turn the flash off you can put your camera on a tripod or keep it from moving. Then take the shot. When the timer ends it will snap the picture and if it is at night the exposure should be long enuf to get a decent picture. You may need to play with the cars interior lighting some to get it right. There is a picture of the lighting kit in the Honda Accesories catalog.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hurricane said:
If your camera has a timer on it and if you can turn the flash off you can put your camera on a tripod or keep it from moving. Then take the shot. When the timer ends it will snap the picture and if it is at night the exposure should be long enuf to get a decent picture. You may need to play with the cars interior lighting some to get it right. There is a picture of the lighting kit in the Honda Accesories catalog.
yup, here's a link to the pic (its big and I don't wanna make people scroll) - http://www.collegehillshonda.com/storeart/8thgensedan/courtesylight.jpg

Thats the lights on, but they are brighter in person and the light is more uniform from them (especially under the footwells).

This is a pic of the light itself. its only about an inch in diameter, so the picture is a bit deceiving.
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/storeart/8thgensedan/08e10-sna-110.jpg

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GeorgiaBoy said:
That pic looked ok. The Si has a light above the center console that rocks! I think that it could look good!~
There are several places I'd like to have the ambient light - from the maplight area (like I had in my old Jetta) or the rearview mirror, behind the door handles, in the glove box, and in the center console. I might look around and see if theres some way to do the center console and glove box right now, but I think the door handles would have to wait a bit (until I'm comfortable taking off the door panels - they never seem to go on just as "tight" as before) and the one from the maplight or rearview mirror (probably go this route if I get the autodimming mirror).

·
Premium Member
19,670 Posts
im interested in getting these but had a question. do the lights turn on with the doors too or just the headlights?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Civic_Si said:
From what I understand the LED kit cannot be installed on the Si??????????????
nope, they only have it in blue....you have the red ambient lighting up top anyway.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I used cold cathodes for interior lighting on my FA5. It looks soooo good omg. Ive still gotta get pics up here but im waiting to unveil my car at the sunday meet :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts