8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lease is up on my car in a couple months so I'm diligently looking for a new car. The Si caught my attention around last summer because of the price, fun factor, and Fiji Blue Pearl, which sadly is gone for 2009 :( Now, I have yet to drive the car yet, which i know will be the deciding factor but I just see so many mixed opinions on this site, even from current Si owners.

I see people recommending the MS3, Cobalt SS, GTI, etc. and yes, these are good cars, but they are significantly more $$$. The Si is at the right price but the only problem is its the only "performance" car in that price range.

Also, i would consider the above 3 i mentioned but i plan on purchasing this car and driving it for a while and i have my doubts about how long the turbo will last. I know it's a costly repair.

Just want to get some feedback from everyone to perhaps aid me in my search for a car. Basically, i want something FUN to drive that is quick but not too expensive. Thanks everyone!

·
Banned
4,871 Posts
Turbo is a costly repair, and once you start modding, it gets 'spensive. My opinion.. go Si! its a great looking car, relativly cheap to mod, looks good out the box, cheap to buy msrp AND fun factor is thru the roof.

If i had the money for an EVOX, i'd buy a new Si and mod it with the leftover benjamins :D

·
Registered
439 Posts
If you are wanting something fun to drive, that gets good fuel economy, and is quick but won't blow the doors off everything on the road... then the Si is great car.

I love mine, and have never regretted purchasing it.

·
Banned
4,871 Posts
If you are wanting something fun to drive, that gets good fuel economy, and is quick but won't blow the doors off everything on the road... then the Si is great car.

I love mine, and have never regretted purchasing it.

i forgot about the great MPG

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the quick replies, guys. I've been leasing a 2007 Audi A4 2.0T. I got it reflashed for a little extra power so it's really got a good amount of torque. HUGE different from stock. Anyway, I'm a little apprehensive about the Si having torque only at high RPMs. Did it take you guys long to get used to it for everyday driving?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
for me, the si was the best choice. good looking car, great gas mileage, honda reliability/resale, and power when i need it. Great for spirited drives and handles well, but its mild and quiet from getting place A to place B on a daily commute. I dont plan on doing heavy modding. but thats just me. the ms3, cobalt ss, and gti all have considerable more torque, along with more tuning options. its easy to get more power from them. if thats what your into i recommend them over the si. in terms of sheer performance, the si is kinda lagging. good luck :thumb:

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
for me, the si was the best choice. good looking car, great gas mileage, honda reliability/resale, and power when i need it. Great for spirited drives and handles well, but its mild and quiet from getting place A to place B on a daily commute. I dont plan on doing heavy modding. but thats just me. the ms3, cobalt ss, and gti all have considerable more torque, along with more tuning options. its easy to get more power from them. if thats what your into i recommend them over the si. in terms of sheer performance, the si is kinda lagging. good luck :thumb:
Thanks Walrus. Let me just add this, I think the Cobalt is kind of ugly. Depends on what angle i'm looking at it from. And I'm also not a huge fan of hatchbacks. So, yeah uhhh, i think I answered my own question. I tried to "steal" an 08 350z enthusiast from a couple dealerships and they wouldn't have it :laughing:

·
Registered
544 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies, guys. I've been leasing a 2007 Audi A4 2.0T. I got it reflashed for a little extra power so it's really got a good amount of torque. HUGE different from stock. Anyway, I'm a little apprehensive about the Si having torque only at high RPMs. Did it take you guys long to get used to it for everyday driving?
Hold on a sec.

Due to the nature of the camshafts, you REALLY don't have to worry about low end torque. Honestly, for driving around, it's fast enough without hitting VTEC. I can get up a hill going 35 in 5th gear with ease. It's not quick at lower RPMS, but once your hitting 3 grand lane changes are easy.

I can easily get on the highway from a dead stop and never have to hit VTEC.

And c'mon. Performance JUST is not measured by how well you can go in a straight. I drove the Cobalt SS, and I felt it didn't handle quite as well as my Si (With summer tires obviously).

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
I owned the SI for almost 1 year now and today I got a new car(well get it on monday) yes turbo cars are more pricey from the dealer but aftermarket its CHEAPER if not the same.Evo cams=600.00 SI cams=over 1000.00 ..thats just a little price check to compare the cost...I would recomend it if the power makes you happy but in my case it was for a month then it got old ZERO tourque..it mine as well be a rotary motor :( lol

·
Registered
597 Posts
I drove a 2007 mustang GT for a week and it sucked balls compared to my Si. Also I drove a new camry for a day and I found it had just as many noises, rattles and things as my Si. The Camry also had hard ass door armrests and the control knobs and buttons were not intuitive or easy to reach. So I think the Si is a pretty decent car all around. My only complaint is the customer service. If you live in Canada I suggest paying a bit more and getting an Acura CSX type S instead. You get leather and navi and treated like a human being.

·
Registered
439 Posts
You will notice a difference no doubt, especially passing users when cruising at lower rpm's... you will have to downshift in situations where you might just maintain the gear in the Audi. I went from a Subaru Legacy GT (2.5L Turbo) automatic... so probably a similar change in regards to torque. I didn't mind it at all, I think I was just ecstatic to be driving a manual again though.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Hold on a sec.

Due to the nature of the camshafts, you REALLY don't have to worry about low end torque. Honestly, for driving around, it's fast enough without hitting VTEC. I can get up a hill going 35 in 5th gear with ease. It's not quick at lower RPMS, but once your hitting 3 grand lane changes are easy.

I can easily get on the highway from a dead stop and never have to hit VTEC.

And c'mon. Performance JUST is not measured by how well you can go in a straight. I drove the Cobalt SS, and I felt it didn't handle quite as well as my Si (With summer tires obviously).
I agree, it's not like the Si is gutless down low, above 3k RPM's its more than adequate... if you have the impression you need to VTEC every gear just to accelerate then that's inaccurate. I typically do not use VTEC for daily driving unless I'm having a spirited drive.

Also from my understanding on tests, the Cobalt SS kills us in handling and straight line. But you may have driven a Cobalt SS without an LSD, as I don't think it comes standard... in which case I imagine it pushes something nasty in corners.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also, I don't really trust Mazda's in terms of reliability. I'm sure it's a good engine but a close personal friend of mine drive a regular Mazda 3 and his engine had to be replaced only after having the car for about 2.5 to 3 years. Can't remember exactly what happened. The GTI is pricey too. I hear the Cobalt is beastly but I just can't get over that rear end. And I've talked to chevy dealers already and they seem to all be a bunch of dicks. Plus, there's only one SS coupe within 50 miles of my house

·
Registered
439 Posts
^Should have bought the LGT w/ 5spd...haha
Yeah I couldn't have afforded the LGT new at the time, I had an 02 Impreza 2.5 RS at the time and it was rear ended and totaled. Came across the LGT used and had to jump on it. Loved the car, but it had some very annoying issues (vibrations, strange drivetrain issues) and the fact I am not a fan of driving autos topped it off. [/threadjack]

·
Registered
10,265 Posts
i test drove an ms3, and while driving, i already knew about how much faster it would be after the few mods i was going to do. (front-mount intercooler, hks catback, hks bov) but im seriously glad i grabbed the si. theres such a larger community and fan base for the si. its always easy to find find parts, and its relatively easy to install said parts.

youd be better off with the si in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I agree, it's not like the Si is gutless down low, above 3k RPM's its more than adequate... if you have the impression you need to VTEC every gear just to accelerate then that's inaccurate. I typically do not use VTEC for daily driving unless I'm having a spirited drive.

Also from my understanding on tests, the Cobalt SS kills us in handling and straight line. But you may have driven a Cobalt SS without an LSD, as I don't think it comes standard... in which case I imagine it pushes something nasty in corners.
The Chevy Cobalt SS is turbo charged compared to our NA engines but it is a nice car and a BEAST at the track. I would still take my Civic SI over a chevy cobolt any day but that's just my opinion.. It's still a hell of a ride tho! :dancingcoolsmiley:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've had my 09 FA5 for a little over a month and I think I wanted exactly what you are looking for. Somehting sporty, quick, but still in $20k price range. Was thinking about an EX with some options, but once I saw and test-drove the Si, I was set on getting one. It really is a great car out of the box. I'm not into modding, but many guys here can help you a lot. I've only been on this forum less than a month, and I am tempted to do some minor mods, maybe a suspension and rims. Might wait till my warranty expires, or just go with the HFP stuff.

I read about those other 3 cars you mentioned, but I just had to go with a Honda. I had a 97 Civic LX for 11 yrs that still runs great. Just wanted a new car, just as reliable but with a bit more power. Haven't experienced any of the 3rd gear issues which affected the prior model year. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts