8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm definitely getting the new civic, I've had my 03 civic this long, and I like new cars, and I want the gas milage and style of the new one...
BUT
Everyone of my car friends that I tell about the new Civic, says "Wow, that's nice...but it's the first year it's getting made...better not get it"
Due to the defects and small things they'll have to recall and fix...
Which is true, I've heard this before, My family business is in the automotive industry, so I'm around professionals day in and day out my whole life...

So even though it's the first year...I still want to get it, but I've never owned a first year car...
What normally happens? When you hear about a recall, you take it in and get it fixed? Right now I probably have stuff that was recalled...and I just live with it, something squeaks, I get used to it, something is hard to close, I close it harder...

Any tips?

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
generally - 1st year cars do have more recalls than later cars. But, there are obviously better choices in 1st year cars. Buying a 1st year honda/acura/toyota etc is probably better than buying a first year chevy/ford/etc. Track records over the years have basically shown honda (even 1st year) less prone to problems. I honestly wouldn't be too worried to purchase the 1st year civic. It uses parts/engine/ etc that have basically been used before. It's not like they designed a totally new engine/tranny/etc. Parts have basically been proven in other vehicles - basically rsx engine/tranny. If the car was 100% new - it would usually cause more issues.

Some of the ford/chevy/etc lines have been introduced 100% all new - and I think that has hurt them bad on some things.

I only know of 1 recall that was done on the 1st year (2001) 7thgens off hand. They had a recall on the front strut that kept blowing. Quite a few 2002 owners ran into the same problem from my info, but they never issued a recall to the 02 owners.

Basically if they issue a recall - you will get a letter in the mail stating what needs to be fixed on the car. You call the # and tell them you got the letter - and they schedule the work to be done at a dealership near you. It's all free, and they just do whatever is needed.

Obviously it's up to you to get the work done. If you don't want to have it fixed, that's up to you. But, if it's a major thing/hazard - you obviously want to have it looked at.

Personally - I wouldn't be worried about the car. They sell about 250k civics a year, and it's not really a totally new engine/tranny setup. They have had the k20Z motor in the RSX-s, so it's been tested before. I doubt there will be many issues with the 1st year of the new civic. Could there be some? = sure. Will repairs be done free - yes.

maybe that helps?

·
Registered
204 Posts
^^What he said

WIth the first model year honda, you are likely to experience minor things like creaks and squeaks....I dont think there will be any major issues with the drivetrain..

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree with what these guys are saying. There's nothing major to worry about. Most of the problems that may happen have been tested before the car is released.

I own a 2002 Si (which was a first year) and there has not been many major issues that I've ever had to worry about. If there's a recall, it gets fixed. Simple as that. :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have a first year (2003) Accord and while I do remember there being some TSB's for "first year" issues they were very minor and I never had problems with any of them. I also had a first year Prelude and none of those cars had any problems that I can remember. Luckily my Accord (and Prelude) are not automatics so I don't have any of the typical tranny problems to worry about. I definitely would'nt hesitate to buy a first year Honda. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts