8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Recently plunked down $$ for a new AC compressor and other stuff on my '07 Si Sedan. Caught some grief from my dear spouse for putting this much money into a car with close to 200k.

So I've been looking around to be ready to get something else in case I need to. Have test driven a 2019 Veloster N, a 2019 Miata, and a 2016 Genesis Coupe. Honestly, this has me appreciating my Si even more. Also, since then, I've been checking out a lot of YouTube videos about cars. Consequently, I've learned to drive the Si harder now and do VTEC more often. (Eat, drink, and do VTEC, for tomorrow we all drive electric.)

If I get another car, it'll be ideally under $20k used. I do have the itch to get that $30k new Veloster N. But, again, I feel like I appreciate my Si more now than when I started shopping. Oh yeah, a Civic Type R would be nice. But you can't even find those used yet for under $30k.

So should I just keep and enjoy my car till she drops? And what car would you suggest I shop for?

Thanks,
- Joe

P.S. Sorry for the cross-posting. Can I delete this post from the other forum topic?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SilentBob420BM, thanks for the reply.

An update: On Friday I test drove a Civic Type R. Yesterday I test drove a Veloster N. Take this with a grain of salt... it still leaves me feeling that I'm not missing much with my '07 Civic Si sedan! One major qualification... the salesperson only let me drive the Type R on a highway feeder road, though I did get it briefly to 80 MPH. She also didn't let me drive it much on any kind of back road to check out the handling. Still, I can say I drove a Type R for about 10 minutes. It felt like a smoother, more powerful Si. But it is quieter than my '07 Si.

The test drive with the Veloster N was my second with one. This time, I forgot to put it in N mode to get the full experience of the crazy pop and crackle exhaust. That car is surprisingly bigger inside than you'd expect, and it certainly could be a daily driver, and turn into a major performer with the push of a drive mode button. If I had to dump my Si and had to buy a new car, I'd go for the Veloster N.

But I really am being perfectly honest when I say that I soon as got back into my own car, I saw the relative advantages of the 8th Gen Si. It handles at least well, shifts better, has much better visibility -- and includes the sunroof for that open feeling you get. And the fun factor by going VTEC, even at legal speeds, and feeling and hearing that engine screams is better than the loud exhaust of the Veloster N. Screaming VTEC might even be better than a muscle car jumping to highway speed quickly. But I can't say much since I've only driven one or two muscle cars for a short time.

This all might be different if I raced people or went to the track. But I am finding it had to say that there is a current model car that beats what I have in my budget for my needs.

Thanks,
- Joe

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One last thing.... it is only recently that I realized it was more than OK to take the 8th gen Si into VTEC, or redline. I had done it once or twice, and felt like I was risking ruining the engine. But this forum and a bunch of YouTube convinced me the engine is meant to be driven this way. Adds a ton to the fun factor... obviously!

Reminds me of rock album covers that would say something like "Play this record loud!" Anyone selling the 8th gen Si should put that sticker on the car.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I understand your dilemma. My car (08 Si coupe) is creeping up on 200k miles. Me personally, I'm probably just going to keep my car until it drops, or I get hit going to or from work. It's my daily driver and it IS a fun car. It's my third Civic SI and I don't think I would trade it for anything else right now. Fun, light, responsive, easy to work on, and aftermarket parts for days. This car just wins for me. If i spent two grand on fixing it, I'd personally be ok with it...Its better than a new car payment.
I see some other dudes on Craig's list, autotrader, letgo etc...asking crazy money for these cars with high mileage. I don't think they realize they won't get the "mod" money back. Just drive it until it explodes like the Blues mobile at the cook county assessors office . :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I sold my 08 SI with 60K miles in perfect original conditon 5 years ago. I miss it every day. Going VTEC is a most amazing feeling that I wish I could experience again. Selling that car was my biggest car mistake ever. I am envious of those of you who have 200K miles on your SI. How much would a reasonable restoration to original cost on an 8th gen, compared to one of these new cars? That is what I would look at if I were faced with that situation. New engine, new tranny and clutch, new suspension and tires, refurbish interior, and a great exterior detail and polish might give you like a new 8th gen SI for a lot less than a new car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I sold my 08 SI with 60K miles in perfect original conditon 5 years ago. I miss it every day. Going VTEC is a most amazing feeling that I wish I could experience again. Selling that car was my biggest car mistake ever. I am envious of those of you who have 200K miles on your SI. How much would a reasonable restoration to original cost on an 8th gen, compared to one of these new cars? That is what I would look at if I were faced with that situation. New engine, new tranny and clutch, new suspension and tires, refurbish interior, and a great exterior detail and polish might give you like a new 8th gen SI for a lot less than a new car.
Hmmmm... interesting! I honestly don't know much of anything on the subject of "restorations to original " for any car, much less a Civic Si.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just posted this on the S2ki.com website, and thought I'd share here as well...

So I had my first driving experience with an S2000. It is a 2000 S2000 with less than 70k miles. I drove with the top up. Drove on highway and a couple of side roads.

Some impressions:
  • Yep, that engine screams!
  • Got a big kick out of the cockpit feeling of the seat and the controls
  • Looks and feels like it will last a good long time
  • Ride is on the raw side but nothing I couldn't live with
  • Surprised I couldn't easily find 5th gear on the highway the first time or two. Eventually got it.
  • Louder inside than I expected, despite everything I read or heard on YouTube. Loud as in road and wind noise.
  • Missed the visibility of my CIvic Si (again, top up)
  • The car itself looked to be in pretty nice shape, BTW. I'd have a my mechanic give it a good look if I get more serious about this.
  • Got it over 7k rev, but didn't get to redline. Enough to see how the engine can get addictive
Right now, I can't say I love it so much that I'm itching to dump my current car and get it. Certainly more impressed with it than the Miata I drove.

Would it be more fun than any other car I've driven at this price point? Yep.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Once again, hopping back into my '07 8th Gen Civic Si ---- I don't feel like I'm missing a whole hell of a lot!

Yep, the S2000 is more of a sports car that can mighty things and will probably be around longer and looks cooler than my Si. But is the experience like going from White Castles to filet mignon? Nope!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts