8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought by 2009 FA5 in 2011 and never once have I had any issues or thoughts to get rid of it. The thought still remains, however, am at a bit of a crossroads.
About 3 weeks ago, I was at the end of my 5000 mile oil change and as usual I check my oil level and top it off about once a week. About a week after my last top off I opened the hood and saw my oil cap completely off and realized I FORGOT TO PUT IT BACK ON and have been driving it like that for about a week! I topped it off again put the cap back on and checked for any possible noises or issues. Plugged in my flash pro and no codes thrown. Drove about 40 miles and that’s when my problems started.
While idle at a stop light heard some valve clicking or metal clicking and when I started driving immediately notice power loss. Checked flash pro and misfire on cylinder 3. Pulled over to the closest safe spot and turned car off. Hoping it was maybe just a temporary glitch or maybe it will just go away... turned car on again and could hear the misfire kickback through exhaust immediately. So I towed it to my mechanic so they can do a diagnostics. Found spark and coil on cylinder 3 completely burnt and a piece of the electrode seemed to have fallen into the motor. Flushed out oil replaced coil and plug and everything ran great again!
About 3 days later, heard a valve clicking noise again and very slight intermittent misfire/power loss spikes. No codes thrown but just to be safe I replaced the remainder 3 coils that the mechanic did not. Issue did not go away and took it back to the mechanic and on the drive in idle starting hearing slight knocking. Not horrible but thinking it could be a bearing knock. Mechanic said it was because on cold start the oil wasn’t filling up fast enough and recommended trying a heavier oil. Which he did and the noise is significantly better.
Need some suggestions... my goal is to keep the car forever and knew that a rebuild would be in order at some point of its life, however, currently with the way the economy is and this whole coronavirus thing I can’t be dropping any significant amount of $$ into this thing. Would be dumb of me to keep driving it in it’s current condition if I would be doing a rebuild in the future anyways? Anything else that could be the issue besides internals related?

Just as a side note car has about 160k miles not much has been modded:
CAI
PLM header with high flow cat mod
JDM clutch master cylinder
SS brake lines
Flash pro
installed viper auto start early on during my ownership of car and pretty much stopped working 3-4 years ago. Alarm system goes on and off

Full synthetic oil change every 5k
Had all fluids filters and plugs changed at 100k
Had a brief hydro lock incident 2 years ago and did another flush and plug change then and had no issues ever since.
Maybe about 3-4 months ago starting noticing very muted clicking sound, but read most k series are noisy like that.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'd do a compression check to make sure the piece of the spark plug didn't damage a valve/valve seat insert.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Currently due to the pandemic I am just avoiding driving the car for now. I will definitely be doing a compression test ASAP to make sure there are no compression issues. However, I am also definitely considering a frank swap within the next year or so. As much as I would love to do it myself, with 2 young kids, a very demanding full time job, as well as starting up a new business venture don't see myself able to do it anytime soon. So... would like recommendations for shops in Chicagoland to do a frank swap for me. I have always gone to One6 for all my performance bolt ons and definitely have no bad experiences, however, seeing as though this is a bit more sensitive of a job want to explore all my options.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts