8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so here's a question for the R18 owners who decided to go with the Manual Transmission option.. i have the MT r18 and i feel like our gearbox is ****.. from first to second is crunch city.. no matter how easy i shift from first to second i get a horrible feeling its not smooth at all.. i have the TWM short shift kit with bushings and type r knob installed but even before i put these on the feeling of going from first to second was terrible.. its so loud also.. if anyone else has this problem let me know, and if there's a solution that would be appreciated as well

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I have a MT R18 and also have the TWM Shortshifter and bushings, i have the stock knob, and about your problem is all on the way you shift from 1st to 2nd, try shifting another way then the way you usually shift and you should notice the difference, mine shifts smooth on all the gears...:thumb:

Or try changing your manual fluid, to some people that help, i havent done that.. because mine shifts nicely..

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have to agree with edciv, this transmission is crap. After test driving an Subaru Impreza 2.5i, I was amazed at how smooth and precise it was compared to my LX MT. I'm actually thinking about trading the civic in for the 2.5i. I've tried shifting differently, does'nt matter. The transmission in the LX feels like im driving a truck. Crunchy, knotchy. The subaru felt like it was shifting itself almost..

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
My 2007 MT seems to shift fine, 1st to 2nd seems okay to me, the only time my shifting feels wierd is when I don't gas enough from a stop and shift into first. The engine slows down it feels like it might stall for a half second. This is a rare occurance for me and I'm pretty sure it's my own fault.

I haven't had a car in like 5 years and this is my second manual... It was stressful learning how to drive MT again, but now it's getting better every day!

·
Registered
473 Posts
all im complaining in our tranny is our 3rd gear, its too long! During regular driving, 1st and 2nd is all quick and then once i hit 3rd it slows down. I see SUVs and TRUCKS leave me once i hit 3rd. haha!

·
Registered
33 Posts
SHI(f)T problems

This may sound crazy,but after my dbw throttle problem was fixed...there's a tcb for it...I've had no problems with notchiness while shifting. The technical service bulletin related to "throttle hang" on certain '06 models. Check with your local Honda Service Department. Also have the TWM shorty.

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
Change your MTF to Amsoil. You'll be amazed at what a $20 maintenance item can do to your daily driving.

·
Registered
473 Posts
chuckm said:
This may sound crazy,but after my dbw throttle problem was fixed...there's a tcb for it...I've had no problems with notchiness while shifting. The technical service bulletin related to "throttle hang" on certain '06 models. Check with your local Honda Service Department. Also have the TWM shorty.
which state do you live in?

·
Registered
752 Posts
I think all my MT issues are tied to the cheap-o cable setup. The only car that felt more vague than my Civic Ive driven was my mothers LeCar from years past.

Ive changed my MT fluid over to M1 5W-30 motor oil. Next mt fluid change will be at the next oil change. I change tranny fluids every 3rd oil change. I was figuring on going with Honda's new updated fluid.

Is the a short shifter mod for our R-18's? If so link me up. I'm interested in that a lot. Or at least seeing how its done ,, then making the parts myself...

Thanks PSY

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
psyshack said:
I think all my MT issues are tied to the cheap-o cable setup. The only car that felt more vague than my Civic Ive driven was my mothers LeCar from years past.

Ive changed my MT fluid over to M1 5W-30 motor oil. Next mt fluid change will be at the next oil change. I change tranny fluids every 3rd oil change. I was figuring on going with Honda's new updated fluid.

Is the a short shifter mod for our R-18's? If so link me up. I'm interested in that a lot. Or at least seeing how its done ,, then making the parts myself...

Thanks PSY
http://twmperformance.com/shortshifters/hondashortshifters/2006-hondacivicshortshifters.htm

·
Registered
19 Posts
My manual transmission is fantastic. Prior to buying my civic i tested alot of similar cars and could not find a better transmission.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
mine is all crunchy.

i want to switch to amsoil syncromesh fluid but i am worried about the install..

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for all the feedback.. everyday i drive it aggravates me more and more.. i feel like i'm breaking something everytime i go from first to second.. i could blame it on myself for when i first got the car and not driving manual for a little bit but i never did anything seriously wrong while driving.. missed third once trying to get it in and the gears grinded for a second but that was it.. i'll probably change the MTF soon.. i'm going in for the first service soon. (i already had the oil changed at 3300 miles) now i'm gonna go back and get it changed again and have them do the first service check. we'll see how it goes..

·
Registered
31 Posts
i had the similar problem with my civic r18, MT.
hard shift 1 to 2, downshift 3 to 2. N to 1 at dead stop.
I'm Tried to change the gearbox fluid to AMSOIL syncromesh. Helped a little but not really and my first gear was really bad.
flushed again with GM AC DELCO Syncromesh 'friction modified'
Seriously, ALL the problem was gone. all the gear shift like in the butter.

hope i can help someone

·
Registered
777 Posts
I had problems with crunchy feel and even not being able to get the second in when I bought the car (used). I managed to get it under warranty the third time I went in for the issue when I stated the 2nd not getting in was causing safety issues when turning left at a light.

It's much better since they changed some syncros and bearings but the shift from 1st to 2nd is still not the best. I hear all the time syncromesh or Redline MTL helps a lot.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts