8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys im a new member

does any1 kno if it wud b possible to switch out the drum brakes on the LX sedan to disc brakes?

i wanna do this to mine so that all brakes wud all b jus discs. if any1 knows pls let me kno. thx

·
Registered
414 Posts
take all the barake parts from an ex or an si and swap everything. in the end, it looks cooler, but it costs a grip. the rear brakes do about 10 to 15% of your actual braking, it wouldnt be worth it.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i checked out the brakes for ex. the total for new parts cost about 1k w/o shipping and tax added. maybe i'll jus look for people who are parting out their cars i might get a cheaper price

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
salvage yard ftw.

However, the only real difference between drum brakes and discs on an lx are the looks.

An Si, however needs better brakes imo. thats why the front are bigger

·
Registered
511 Posts
Had a 2001 civic EX with 73K miles and the rear drums brakes have never been replaced. Every time I look at it or have it checked its still "very good".

·
Registered
414 Posts
you will need the entire rear trailing arms, calipers, hubs, lines, bolts.....the list keeps going, including stuff in the engine bay.

as i said before the gains dont outweigh the cost.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
I don't even know why they still put drums on modern cars... They should have completely phased them out by now.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Chase said:
I don't even know why they still put drums on modern cars... They should have completely phased them out by now.

i agree completely but they are much cheaper than a disc setup

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm wondering if you need to switch out the proportioning valve as well. You might be putting a different amount of pressure to the drums than you would to the discs.

And if you went with Si front discs/brakes, you could still put the same amount of pressure on the brakes but you'd be able to stop easier just like a breaker bar makes it easier to break a nut/bolt loose than a ratchet with a short handle.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok after a really long while of thinking it over.. i've decided that im going to do this and maybe i could do a DIY. i just dont like the look of rear drums.

if someone could provide me with the parts that i need it would be greatly appreciated. but about the lines..cant i use the ones i already have? and would i have to change my brake master cylinder?

i'll take the rotors and calipers from aodmisery if they are still on sale :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
look for salvage yards, complete rear setup should be around $500...

This is far more common in old civics...

yes you will need the prop valve as well, you'll also need e-brake cable...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts