8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

161 - 177 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm just sticking with M1 EP 5w20 for the time being. (5k oci)

Too much conflicting information here and elsewhere.

If I'm making a mistake, I want to know, but it really seems doubtful from the research out there.

M1 EP is a pao based oil which is a good thing, right?

Arrg...

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Too much over-thinking in this thread for something that you change very regularly.
I had used all the major "synthetic" brands for many years. Never had a problem (internal friction related) with any of my current or previous cars.

·
Registered
188 Posts

If I'm making a mistake, I want to know, but it really seems doubtful from the research out there.

Arrg...
Worrywart, you'll have no issues running M1EP, just check it and make sure your car doesn't want to burn it and if it doesn't you're set. I ran it in my car since i've had such good luck with it in my truck. I also wanted to see if it had the same burning issues everyone else on this forum said it did with their honda's. when I changed it at 5600 miles the dipstick was at the exact same level (my car has 144k miles). I do believe it's a group 4 oil based on everything I read when deciding oils for my truck.

Whenever I randomly decide it's a good weekend to change my oil, I pick up M1EP at walmart, whenever I plan a weekend to do it, I order Amsoil (since i'm a preffered member I get a discount, I use it on all my motorsports vehicles due to the VERY limited availability of quality motorcycle oils)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Don't know if this has been mentioned (can't search for a three letter term)---has anyone tried Valvoline VR1 (10W-30) for daily use? Not the synthetic variety. I used to use it in my track-only vehicle because it has a high ZDDP content and holds up to high temperatures extremely well. At around $40 for six quarts, it's also relatively cheap. But, in that car I didn't care about oil life. And maybe dino oil isn't good for our engines? Lots of controversy around that topic...

·
Registered
306 Posts

Arrg...
You're overthinking Worrywart.

M1 EP 5w20 is more than enough. 5k is too short, you should extend it to 10k if you use Extended Performance. EP is rated for 15k miles.

You can also use M1 EP 0W20, which has higher PAO ratio than the 5W20.

If you really want to stick with 5k OCI, i would use M1 0w20 Advanced fuel economy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
motor oil type

So I use royal purple 5w30 and also 5w30 in my tranny my other si that I got in 06 which was an 07 the cap said 0w20 why are the caps different and the cars are the same ?? Should I use 0w20like my old si or 5w30 which one?? Also does anyone have any knowledge on coil packs?? I was going to buy duralast coil packs but was not sure but ilthe AutoZone guy said it's not a difference is that true please help??

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have an '08' Civic EX coupe. Recently read that synthetic oil is better. Just wondering if that's true and what weight I should use? TIA

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have an 09 EX. My owner's manual calls for 5w-20.
Check your owner's manual. I can't imagine it's any different than mine.
Some folks on here use 0w-20, which is also acceptable.

As far as finding the perfect oil for your EX, I recommend going back and reading through a good portion of this thread. There are a lot of good options and synthetic is one of them.

Try not to get too bogged down with too much technical information:wheee:. Maybe focus on where most of the wear of an engine takes place, which is startup. What oil is best for protecting your engine's vital parts during startup?

For my money the answer is fully synthetic oil (group 4), but it doesn't necessarily have to be so.

Do your research and ask questions until you settle on an oil you are comfortable with.
Good luck! :wavey:

·
Registered
162 Posts
You're overthinking Worrywart.

M1 EP 5w20 is more than enough. 5k is too short, you should extend it to 10k if you use Extended Performance. EP is rated for 15k miles.

You can also use M1 EP 0W20, which has higher PAO ratio than the 5W20.

If you really want to stick with 5k OCI, i would use M1 0w20 Advanced fuel economy.
Thanks for the input. Sorry for the late response. Just seeing this......

I only put around 7k miles a year on my 2011. If I pushed my OCI to 10 or so I'd be changing oil every 16 months or so. So the 5k oci is really just peace of mind for me.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Worrywart, you'll have no issues running M1EP, just check it and make sure your car doesn't want to burn it and if it doesn't you're set. I ran it in my car since i've had such good luck with it in my truck. I also wanted to see if it had the same burning issues everyone else on this forum said it did with their honda's. when I changed it at 5600 miles the dipstick was at the exact same level (my car has 144k miles). I do believe it's a group 4 oil based on everything I read when deciding oils for my truck.

Whenever I randomly decide it's a good weekend to change my oil, I pick up M1EP at walmart, whenever I plan a weekend to do it, I order Amsoil (since i'm a preffered member I get a discount, I use it on all my motorsports vehicles due to the VERY limited availability of quality motorcycle oils)
Sorry for the late response. Thanks. It looks like you keep your oci's on the shorter side like I do. (5k miles) :dance:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got Castrol 0w-40 can for free from my friend. Just wondering is it compatible with R18a1 (honda civic sedan 2006 1.8i), because ACEA quality are C2/C3 and some porsche / BMW approvals. someone told its same like ACEA A3/B4 and ownerbook recommended that. Is that true?

Thanks for answers!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got Castrol 0w-40 can for free from my friend. Just wondering is it compatible with R18a1 (honda civic sedan 2006 1.8i), because ACEA quality are C2/C3 and some porsche / BMW approvals. someone told its same like ACEA A3/B4 and ownerbook recommended that. Is that true?

Thanks for answers!
Honda specifies 5w20 or 0w20 in the R18. You could probably be ok with a 30 weight but I'm not so sure about a 40 weight - that's a bit much.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Is oil with ACEA C2/C3 good for honda civic 1.8 2017 model?
Since no one has answered you, and you're brand new, I'll answer.

No need to over-complicate things. Use a quality, brand-name, 5W-20 synthetic oil. Whether that be Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Amsoil, Castrol, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Quaker State, whatever.

If you walk into an auto parts store, any name brand 5W-20 will work perfectly. To put your mind at ease, I've used all the brands I listed above (plus more), and they all work wonderfully.

If you only take away one thing from what I said, let it be this statement:

The engineers who designed the equipment specified that particular oil for a reason. It's good practice to follow the procedure / specification provided in the manual. So, 5W-20 it is.

·
Super Moderator
2,042 Posts
I agree with the opinion that we should stick with what Honda recommends for our rides. However, oil, thankfully, is evolving. With the proliferation of smaller displacement and forced induction (turbo) puts today's oil under stresses that it wasn't designed for.

Check out this thread: (information on GF-5 and GF-6A oil)

161 - 177 of 177 Posts