8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Partymember 101
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just recently got some new rims and tires on my car. I went from 17x7 stock Si rims on 215/45/17s to 18x7.5 215/35/18s. My alignment is now off after the install. I'm pulling a fair amount to the right now.

I assume this is obviously due to the new rims/tires. They came mounted and balanced already upon ordering.

Is it normal for this type of chance to potentially throw off alignment?

Would you recommend going to Honda only for alignments? or will Gateway do just as well? Theres a significant price difference.

Sorry for the noobish question, never had this particular instance occur before.

·
Partymember 101
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did, it's about a pound low on the front right, which is where I'm pulling to..

You think a pound or two difference could cause a pull that is that significant? When I say significant I mean its pulling, I can notice it, but its not so much that its really, well, significant, lol.

1 to 10 pull meter, 10 being lots of pull, I'd say its a 3.5 - 4.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
yes absolutely, #1 cause...if that wasn't it I would say bring the tires to be rebalanced...rims don't usually change alignment settings...

·
Partymember 101
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See thats what the fark I thought. I just couldn't really frickin imagine how my alignment would have been fubared because of this.

Someone explain to me this, as well..

This is my rational, tell me if I am correct. When your alignment is off, when you hold the wheel perfectly straight, your car will pull to the right/left depending on which side is off, correct? What mine is doing is literally pulling my wheel a bit to the right, so it doesn't sit straight by itself when not being held, and going to the right as a result of it not being straight.

Tire pressure?

·
Registered
291 Posts
theres also a chance that after the tire pressure is corrected that it might still pull. in that case switch the front two tires and see if the pull goes the other way. that way you can see if you have a pull tire. which is caused by a defect in the manufacturing process. and BTw why did you go to a 215-35-18....?

·
Partymember 101
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so I switched the front left and front right tire/rims. Now I don't pull to the right anymore, but two other things started to occur. At random periods during higher speeds, 50+, the ride isn't smooth, primarily on the front left side now (the suspect tire/rim). This one is, I just noticed this tonight, also making a weird noise. The best way I can describe it is like if you had a rock stuck in your tread and you hear it every time you run it over, except its more metallic and there isn't anything visibly wrong.

Down to either defective rim, or improper balance. Will be calling distributor tomorrow...

·
Premium Member
81,069 Posts
Oh ok.. I knew when i threw my 18s on the first time with pirellis.. it was pretty smooth... but then when i put neo gens it vibrates at certain speeds. I just got hub rings and are back on 17s so I wont be able to see until spring time to see if it fixes it.

I think its probably a bad balance

·
Registered
376 Posts
what kindof tires on those Wheels?
sounds like directional tire pull?
Brand new tires? no shifted belt? my OEM Mich MXV4s on my SI wheels had a shifted belt from the factory....

·
Partymember 101
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE:

Ok, so it turns out one of my Nitto Neogens was out of round. The tire was replaced this morning under warranty. No more vibration at all, its perfect.

HOWEVER,

now I've got a serious pull to the front drivers side where the new tire was just replaced. This is really getting OLD. I can't tell you how frustrated I am right now. So I suppose, given that the balance is proper at this point, the rim is fine, and the tire is fine, it has to be alignment now?

Thoughts?

/KILL

·
Premium Member
10,300 Posts
When I went up to 18" wheels and tires I needed to realign my car as well. I also went with 225/40/18 tires. I had a slight drift to the right. My toe was out after I put my wheels on. I am lucky enough to be a tech and have access to an alignment machine. And I do alignments for a living. You'll be suprised how changing wheel sizes will change your alignment measurements.

·
Partymember 101
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No. Thats the whole damn point of nitto neogens. Non-directional with hardcore tread pattern to assist in lowered vehicles. Supposed to be very even treadwear.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts