8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have an aftermarket alarm/security system on their 06 Civic? The EX manual says that there is already a security system on board and they they do not recommend at additions to it. What is your take and experience with this situation?

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
The primary theft deterent on your Civic is the immobilizer. The immobilizer iteself is excellent. The 'alarm', on the other hand, is little more than a keyless entry with a horn honk if you doors are opened without disarming the system. It is a joke.

For the most part, the immobilizer will keep those without a tow truck/flat bed from running off with your civic. If you are concerned about parts or interior items (read: "your stuff") being stolen, get a good two-way LCD pager alarm from a DEI company (Clifford, VIPER, Python, etc.), or a Compustar 2 way alarm.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i recently installed a compustar FM8000 on my 06 civic. loving it so far. be sure to pay an extra $80 for the battery backup and extra siren. w/out these add ons, the alarm "can" be useless. also, the civic doesnt come with an alarm system. what you get is door locks, thats it. the horn honk sound you hear when you lock your doors is just a door lock confirmation signal..nothing more.

·
Registered
716 Posts
clm10k said:
i recently installed a compustar FM8000 on my 06 civic. loving it so far. be sure to pay an extra $80 for the battery backup and extra siren. w/out these add ons, the alarm "can" be useless. also, the civic doesnt come with an alarm system. what you get is door locks, thats it. the horn honk sound you hear when you lock your doors is just a door lock confirmation signal..nothing more.
No, it IS a security alarm, but like Jan said, it's weak. It's not a motion sensor and only goes off when doors are opened (so if they smash your windows, no luck there). I'm planning to install a viper, lojack, and maybe a brake club as I plan on slappin some rims on soon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i was curious as to if my car had a factory alarm installed so i went to try it out just now. so i "alarmed" the car via the remote on the key. i then opened the door in two different ways. first way, the regular way with the key. opened the door with no alarm sounding. second way, i lowered the window, unlocked the door from the inside and opened the door. again, there was no alarm sounding. looked thru my manual just now and there's no indication of an alarm thats preinstalled. when i purchased the car, i specifically asked the dealer about the alarm as well and he said there wasnt one. just the immobilizer itself. you sure you guys have a factory alarm? my civic is a canadian edition 4dr ex. does the US version have it standard??

·
Registered
19 Posts
just realized something i missed earlier. found a sidebar in the manual that states the US ex/lx models come with a factory alarm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts