8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edit: Added updated (better) pics 11/27

Thought I'd give an update. Me and a buddy installed the Mugen Sports Suspension, then I had some negative camber added up front. Installed some wheels and Bridgestone RE070 tires. People weren't joking when they said these tires are stiff, dang. Mugen SS were pretty comfy, but these make the ride pretty harsh. Very sticky in corners though.

Wheels took 2 months to ship from Japan (201motorsports.com is a great site to buy wheels, highly recommend em), then another month cus they were stuck at a powdercoat shop :sadwavy:

Can anybody guess the mystery wheels? :biggrin: Very few cars have it on, and I'm pretty certain it's the only 8thgen with em on. Luv em for the concavity. Pics suck cus' I had it on 400 ISO and I was in a hurry to snap before sundown.

Not happy w/ powdercoat color cus' it's too light and blue doesn't really match my GG color :redface: Might just repaint because I'm tired of the powdercoat drama I went through (e-tech powder coating was a great shop, but stupid shop that made the colors sucked).

Thoughts are welcome.

Dang RE070 and their stiff sidewalls. So uncomfortable... but for $75 for all of em can't really complain.

Luv the wheels. Was thinkin of XT7s but they looked too flat and are kinda heavy.

Negative camber up front = much better handling.

Bluish wheels + GG = non-matching hues :redface: Gonna repaint, sigh.

Want to put a H centercap, in the meantime you can see the blue hub centric ring, ick.

Closeup of wheels. Note the tiny metallic flakes. Note how the hue is off from my car ><

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wheels look really good....i like them...maybe in gunmetal or hyperblack would be nice
I was trying my darnest to find a freakin gunmetal to have the shop powdercoat, but ugh, the shop that makes the colors has 100 different greys but no normal gunmetal. And my first choice color didn't work with the powder coat shop gun, ugh. Sucks to spend $430 on a mod you're not happy with.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I have those tyres too & tell me about rattling your teeth out..
Wheels looks nice, you should get it painted in SSR gun metal colour by a proffesional painter, I've been in painting business for a long time & they're durable if painted properly..

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
hmm.. not feeling the blue inside where the centercap goes
what are the specs of them?
and is it just me or does your rear bumper look like its coming off in the first pic?

·
Purpul Plane 4ever!
40,686 Posts
Nice overall but not crazy about the hint of blue on the color.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah that blue ring is not an intentional aesthetic touch--don't want to put the centercap on so in the meantime it's a gaping hole. The bumper ain't comin off either, lol. There's a bit of a gap in that first pic, but otherwise it's tight everywhere else.

The wheels are 17x8 et38. Rubbed on a corner when I had my old shoes in the backseat and trunk, they haven't rubbed since. The cornerinng limit is so high now with these tires and the suspension upgrade, and I'm reluctant to push it on regular roads since it's so much quicker around the turns. All four wheels seem to slip on the corners now, and it's a lot more neutral. Can't compare to HFP since I've never ridden in one--but I'd love to know the difference.

I could make the crappy stock all-seasons squeal so easily, but these stick much better. I bought the RE070s for $75 on Craigslist, lol (guy was real cool). Scratching my head at why he sold em so cheap, cus they're in pretty good condition--80%-95% tread left.

I'm cryin about the powdercoat color. Spent $400 and waited a freakin month for them to be done, only to have it come out as a color I'm not happy with. Reluctant to powder coat again since baking at high temps prematurely wears out metal, or so I've heard.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I have RE070's, and I don't think they're THAT bad. Certainly not tooth-rattling. Love the grip and love the ride. I notice it tracks really easily, and noisy when the road isn't nicely paved.

Nice wheels.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have RE070's, and I don't think they're THAT bad. Certainly not tooth-rattling. Love the grip and love the ride. I notice it tracks really easily, and noisy when the road isn't nicely paved.

Nice wheels.
Not tooth rattling like I'd suspect from Felix's FD2, but it's noticeably more rough. Heck, the shift from stock suspension to Mugen SS was more gentle than the switch to these. They're noisy and it seems like I feel every single bump. Perform really well though, gotta give em that. If they're good enough for R35 GT-Rs then they're good enough for me =P

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Truth. :D

My only complaint EVER from my RE070's is the drive up to SLO. There was a point where the road was more gravel than pavement. I couldn't hear my radio over it. =P Still, the grip is just TREMENDOUS. I'm more scared of tipping the car than I feel the grip running out.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Added some more pics. If you look at the second pic IMO the drop looks perfect.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts