8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey 8th! So I've been toying with the idea of getting an airbag suspension setup for the Civic for a while now, but I've got a question that I've had a hard time googling. I figure the good folks here might know.

So, if one airbag were to pop or lose pressure would the whole system not be able to keep pressure? I wasn't sure if there is any sort of system that isolates each airbag or if it was just all one open loop of sorts.

This has been the main thing that's made me nervous about starting to buy parts. Thanks for the help in advance!

·
Registered
199 Posts
yes and no! It depends on what management you use. using a 4 valve (2 switch) system for a basic front and back if you blow a line or a bag you will lose all air to that half of the vehicle. on an 8 valve (4+ switch) system each corner is independent. This being said depending on you setup you may be able to limp your car home with a blown bag but not a guaranteed but you will be able to lift the other 3 up to get a jack under it or on a flatbed. I have blown a front and a rear. The front was a seal the gave way after about 5 years and was able to get the car on a flatbed but not drive due to how low I am when aired out (lays sub-frame). The rear I was stupid and driving at 5 psi in an areaI know better and hit a bunch of bumps shifting the bag causing it to rub and blow. With the rear, I was able to make the 20 min drive home just slow. My front bag rebuild only took about an hour total and the rear bag swap was done in less than 30 min.

Nearly all digital systems are independent corners, for manual a setup you would need 4 switches, and finally for an electric setup you would need 8 valves, 4 up and 4 down.

·
Registered
199 Posts
if you use a manual or electric setup to can add a check valve after the fill valve to almost guarantee you keep all the pressure in the line but would have to make sure the dump valve is after the check valve.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts