8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i bought my car from the dealership there were no lights, now the air bag light comes on.... thats the only light but i dont know why it is on?

anyway to fix or check it without getting charged up the *** from the dealership?

·
Registered
12,536 Posts
That is something you don't want to mess with. Just so you know, when that light is iluminated, every airbag in the car is turned off.

Have you done anything like put aftermarket seats in the car? Could you have dislodged the wiring harness under the seat when you were cleaning or something?

Either way, even if you figure out the source of the problem, the dealer will have to reset the light and the entire airbag system, iirc. Its not something that you or a regular mechaninc can do.

Plus, the dealer will just read the code and know EXACTLY why the airbag light is on within just a few seconds of looking at the car.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I had a similar problem with the light coming on. It came on immediately when the passenger seat was reclined so someone could get in the back seat. The seat back reclines first... then the seat slides forward on the rails then stops right... We all know this. The thing I noticed is that after coming all the way forward to a stop I was still pushing and got another 3 inches to the dash "Blink" !!! lights on. Went to the dealer, reset it now I am scared to move the seat. :eek:hnoes:

They charged me and hour and like 4 bucks for a micro fuse :screwy:

LAME

·
Registered
12,536 Posts
I'm just curious, is everyone talking about the 'passenger airbag off' light near the radio or one of the airbag lights in the instrument cluster?

·
Registered
424 Posts
I had the little red guy with the red ball illuminated over the winter, and the passenger buckle was bad. If it wasn't a warranty part, they would have charged me for the part and $75 for the scan. I guess there is a lifetime warranty on some of those parts, so hopefully you get lucky.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello @Civic352, Did you manage to resolve the issue? I am having exact same issue with Gen8 FN2 Honda hatchback. The light comes on when seat is slide all the way to the front (to allow someone in the back). The car is definitely not included in the recall. Thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hello @Civic352, Did you manage to resolve the issue? I am having exact same issue with Gen8 FN2 Honda hatchback. The light comes on when seat is slide all the way to the front (to allow someone in the back). The car is definitely not included in the recall. Thanks.
Does it turn back off?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes eventually when I re-adjust seat slider position. As soon as I need to move seat all the way to front, light come on again.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you look under the seat.
There should be 4 clips.
2 Yellow and 2 white.

I'm guessing over time, the wires get a little brittle and when you slide the seat it it tugs a little on the wires.

I would make sure that the wire carrying those 4 connectors is fastened to the seat.

Sometimes the fasteners come loose and you or your passenger steps on it or bends with your heel, causing it to crack.

Also check for cracks along that area.

This cable should be fastened to the seat and have some slack as so not to pull on the wires.

This cable was tripping my AirBag light.
All I did was make sure it wouldn't move when I slide the seat.
I bent it down so it would make better connection and the light hasn't come on now in year. I had the same problem.
Dealer wanted to charge me 150$ just to inspect what could be the problem.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you still cant find the problem.
Honda scanned my Airbag light for free.
And gave me the Codes.
There was an "Open Circuit" which I found.

·
Registered
5 Posts
@White-out many thanks for nice explanation. As you shown in first pic, the black cable is anchored to seat. I can’t move or adjust slack. Do I have to do anything to give it more slack? Currently it is very tight with little or no slack.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I think I may have fixed it following your advise. Black cable conduit (sleeve) for above connectors has been adjusted to give more room. Since then sliding seat hasn’t triggered air bag sign. Finger crossed. Thank you very much for help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts