8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went to a local Honda dealership today to have my airbag light checked out. It came on about a month ago, stayed on for two weeks, shut off for a week, then came back on this last week. It's been popping off and on, so I figured it was just a sensor. Of course when I arrived at the dealership the light was off.

I have an aftermarket deck installed in the car, a wiring harness was used for installation and no stock wires were 'tapped,' this car is also accident free.

I had to get to class so I asked the guy if he could hang onto it for the day and turn it on a few times to see if it pops up. Here's the basic gist of the conversation.

Service Rep: Well I can hang onto it but with your aftermarket stereo I may have to charge you depending on what we find.

Me: Well my car is still under the 3/36k warranty, so why a charge?

Service Rep: Because aftermarket radios have to use stock wiring, and all the airbag wiring is right there behind the dash. So if something was messed with, then we will not honor your warranty.

Me: Nothing was messed with that pertains to the airbags, and wiring harnesses were used so no stock wiring was cut/manipulated. As for not honoring my warranty, I thought vehicles under warranty were free of charge for inspections and repairs if the customer notices a problem, such as an airbag light?

Service Rep: They can be free of charge, but typically with aftermarket items it's questionable. If I find nothing I may have to charge you for the time. And if we do find something, but the stereo is the cause of the issue, then your warranty will not cover it. Hey it's not me, it's just the rules. I just want you to know that I may have to charge you...

:scratches:

I promptly took my keys & left, my friend who drove there to pick me up was in equal disbelief.

Has anyone EVER heard of this?

I tried to be as brief as possible, I can provide more details of the conversation, but its probably not necessary.

·
Registered
227 Posts
No, its not necessary, because most dealerships are out and out crooks. Go to a different Honda dealer somewhere else that will work with you if you can. If not, you may have a fight on your hands, to which I would say "The squeeky wheel gets the grease". Don't roll over because of "the rules".

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, its not necessary, because most dealerships are out and out crooks. Go to a different Honda dealer somewhere else that will work with you if you can. If not, you may have a fight on your hands, to which I would say "The squeeky wheel gets the grease". Don't roll over because of "the rules".

It's just sad that the stealerships are like this. I'd expect this from some manufacturers, but not Honda...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts