8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a weird thing that happens when i drive my car. After driving the car for a while the passenger air light will light up "OFF" and stay on like that. Mind you there is no one sitting in the passenger seat, i just don't understand why would it do that after a while of driving not right away. My car use to never do that b4. is this something to be concerned about? The airbag works fine when there is someone sitting there, just the random "OFF" light that worries me. let me know what you guys thing. thanks

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Was there anything on the seat? Backpack?

Year of your car?? They had a recall for 2006 models, mine was part of it.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Its a safety feature for people who have a baby in the front. Anything lighter than some certain amount of pounds will disable the air bag to prevent death of an infant. If there is nothing on the seat and still stays on then you got a problem

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was there anything on the seat? Backpack?

Year of your car?? They had a recall for 2006 models, mine was part of it.
nope, nothing on the seat and its an 2007 i was aware of the 2006 recall. i don't know maybe i didn't notice this b4

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I've had things as light as my camera bag (couldn't weigh more than 5 pounds) set it off. It is pretty sensitive.

If there is nothing at all on the seat then it could be an issue with the sensor and you should probably take it to Honda.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i know when someone is in the passenger seat and they don't have their seat belt the seat belt light will falsh and beep, now if it senced that there is someone in the seat but not heavy enough wouldn't it still tell me that they need their seat belt on??? When i'm driving all the comes on is the passenger air is "OFF" indicator

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had things as light as my camera bag (couldn't weigh more than 5 pounds) set it off. It is pretty sensitive.

If there is nothing at all on the seat then it could be an issue with the sensor and you should probably take it to Honda.

ya i noticed that b4 when something was on it, but it would come off as soon as i removed it or when i turned the car off. Now the thing that i scared about is that i have an aftermarket deck in the car. Will they try to blame it on that somehow?

·
Registered
208 Posts
i've been having the same problem, i put my backpack on the passenger seat when i drive to school. At first it scared me, but i kinda got used to it. not sure what Honda can do about it, so i didn't bother with them :(

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
ya i noticed that b4 when something was on it, but it would come off as soon as i removed it or when i turned the car off. Now the thing that i scared about is that i have an aftermarket deck in the car. Will they try to blame it on that somehow?
They may try to blame it on your aftermarket stereo. I've heard of situations where they say things like that. But I wouldn't go in there expecting it.

Air bag circuits are completely separate from other systems. They are also usually plainly labled or even covered in yellow or orange tape or loom. It would be very unlikely that you would unknowingly mess with the air bag circuit. Particularly since the problem seems to be with the seat sensor.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
well i know when someone is in the passenger seat and they don't have their seat belt the seat belt light will falsh and beep, now if it senced that there is someone in the seat but not heavy enough wouldn't it still tell me that they need their seat belt on??? When i'm driving all the comes on is the passenger air is "OFF" indicator
I think that it is because if it is someone small enough that the airbag shouldn't go off they might be in a car seat or something and wouldn't be using the seatbelt. So if you have something sitting on the seat it turns off the airbag, but doesn't activate the seatbelt warning (that would be truely annoying).

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They may try to blame it on your aftermarket stereo. I've heard of situations where they say things like that. But I wouldn't go in there expecting it.

Air bag circuits are completely separate from other systems. They are also usually plainly labled or even covered in yellow or orange tape or loom. It would be very unlikely that you would unknowingly mess with the air bag circuit. Particularly since the problem seems to be with the seat sensor.
i hope they don't try to pull that on me and if they do that will be just plain stupid because no wires were cut nor did i tap into any other circuits. i think its a defective seat weight sensor, it might me kinda hard to prove that its gone since it works fine when someone is in the seat and the light comes on after a while of driving. I made an appointment with honda, they said that they might have to recalibrate the airbag.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts