8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First things first... if Im retarded and/or this has already been posted before, let me know... Im new to this mechanical stuff. I did do a quick search and didnt find anything. so, here goes.

I recently recieved a OEM Si AxleBack and a Megan Downpipe to put on my 06 FG1. Now, I got the Si AxleBack on with no problems. But I couldnt put the Downpipe in because I didnt have a metric socket larger than 12mm. I need to go get that soon.

Anyways, while I was under the car, i was looking at the sizes of the piping for the downpipe and the rest of the exhaust.

The Megan DP is a bit larger diameter than the stock pipe, and thus, thicker than the following pipe (sorry, dont know what its actually called). Its the big long one that runs to the resonator? i think.

Anyways, the point of having the bigger pipe is to allow more airflow, more air = more power (sort of). well, isnt it kind of counter-productive to have a wider DP only to have t squeezed back down into the next pipe which is still stock?

Input/Quesitons/Suggestions/Criticism: all welcomed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
downpipe? is that the same as a test pipe? I've only heard about downpipes on turbo'd cars.

anyways, if you are talking about what I call a test pipe then you are removing the cat, and then hooking up to the smaller piping in the catback exhaust.

I guess the rest of the system is still a little more restrictive, but does it really matter? The cat is gone and that is what really matters. If you want all of the piping to be larger then you'll need a full catback exhaust / custom exhaust.

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TJ213 said:
downpipe? is that the same as a test pipe? I've only heard about downpipes on turbo'd cars.

anyways, if you are talking about what I call a test pipe then you are removing the cat, and then hooking up to the smaller piping in the catback exhaust.

I guess the rest of the system is still a little more restrictive, but does it really matter? The cat is gone and that is what really matters. If you want all of the piping to be larger then you'll need a full catback exhaust / custom exhaust.
Grrr, I wish I had pictures. Im definately not removing the CAT because it was literally just one pipe. I'll try to better depict what my exhaust looks like and where this 'downpipe' is...

The exhaust manifold goes down towards the front of the car. If you go under the front end, you can see where the manifold comes down. At the end of that, there is a pipe connecting to it that runs parallel to the ground towards the back of the car. When it hits the area between the wheels, it hook upwards to go over the various steering/handling mechanisms. Then, as it starts to hook back downward, it connects to another pipe that is long and straight. This pipe then connects to a larger muffler-esque looking object. From this, it connects right to the OEM Si muffler that I installed a few days ago. Note: my car is not an Si, its an 06 EX Coupe.

The bold section is describing the 'downpipe'

Here is a picture of the 'downpipe' from Megan Racing's website:

They actually have another image of where it is ont he car, but its not a great picture:

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
When I had my fg1 I had the dp and a magnaflow cat-back exhaust. The mechanic that put it in suggested making the piping after the dp the same diameter as the dp. The magnaflow pipe before the resonator is a little smaller which does not make sense but yeah maybe you should get some custom piping done to match the diameter....

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Englishe30 said:
When I had my fg1 I had the dp and a magnaflow cat-back exhaust. The mechanic that put it in suggested making the piping after the dp the same diameter as the dp. The magnaflow pipe before the resonator is a little smaller which does not make sense but yeah maybe you should get some custom piping done to match the diameter....
I may get some custom piping done at some point. Im just mildly concerned about going from the larger pipe to the smaller OEM pipe. But if theres nothing to worry about, then I can install and let it go for a week or 2 until I have the time to go get the custom piping. I may head down the Pruven Performance this weekend and talk to them about getting custom pipe work done.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
PhalanX said:
I may get some custom piping done at some point. Im just mildly concerned about going from the larger pipe to the smaller OEM pipe. But if theres nothing to worry about, then I can install and let it go for a week or 2 until I have the time to go get the custom piping. I may head down the Pruven Performance this weekend and talk to them about getting custom pipe work done.
Yeah the dp will fit with factory piping.....forgot to add that

1 - 7 of 7 Posts