8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '07 Si Sedan has been dead reliable but a weird little problem has turned up recently.

Here is the scenario: Really hot day, crawling through traffic going up hill in the Sepulveda Pass. A/C is blowing cold.. until it stopped being cold. The blower motor is working, the panel lights are on for A/C but the air stops being cold.

Park the car, get back in after cool down and the A/C works like a champ.

Now problems with the A/C for two weeks. Another really hot day, crawling up hill in the Sepulveda Pass and the A/C stops being cold. Park the car, cool down and the A/C works.

So I can eliminate the freon (or what ever they use these days) being gone. The compressor works when the cold is coming out.

I am thinking that there is an intermittent in the wiring or a switch is going bad. Or, does the system have a mode that switches off the A/C if the car is in danger of over heating?

Anyone else have a similar problem? Any guesses?

Scott

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the same problem on my 07' FA5 in traffic and I hate that these cars don't blow harder.. I live in Texas dammit! lol

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I have the problem figured out... and it is not a relay or switch problem.

My battery went dead and I got a jump. While the weak, dead battery was charging after the jump, the engine nearly died when I turned on the A/C. The Alternator is fine.

The weak, almost dead battery is in line with the entire down stream load of the car. In the event that the battery is weak and the electrical load on the entire car system is high, the car's system will shut down the A/C as it is the least necessary system.

So by replacing my old battery with dead cells I have "fixed" the issue of the A/C system randomly shutting down during times of high load.

Scott

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think I have the problem figured out... and it is not a relay or switch problem.

My battery went dead and I got a jump. While the weak, dead battery was charging after the jump, the engine nearly died when I turned on the A/C. The Alternator is fine.

The weak, almost dead battery is in line with the entire down stream load of the car. In the event that the battery is weak and the electrical load on the entire car system is high, the car's system will shut down the A/C as it is the least necessary system.

So by replacing my old battery with dead cells I have "fixed" the issue of the A/C system randomly shutting down during times of high load.

Scott
I'm a fresh FA5 owner and encountered this today. Good to know I'll test my battery.. I've seen other areas that point to a relay issue.

Like other post said, I'm in TX and its too hot for this!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've had the same problem in the past. I just pop the ole shirt off to cool down. I get a lot of honks from other driver enjoying the show, but I don't mind.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This summer I was lucky to have a conditioner in the house and in the car because I was going to die from so much heat.
A few years ago I didn't have a conditioner and it was very difficult for me. My body is very pretentious and I can't stand the extremes of heat or cold. For this reason, I often go to warm countries in winter to rest, so as not to feel the enormous cold.
The only problem is that last week my conditioner started to break down and I got scared. Good thing I found aircon servicing and they removed the problem. Now everything is perfect again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This summer I was lucky to have a conditioner in the house and in the car because I was going to die from so much heat.
A few years ago I didn't have a conditioner and it was very difficult for me. My body is very pretentious and I can't stand the extremes of heat or cold. For this reason, I often go to warm countries in winter to rest, so as not to feel the enormous cold.
The only problem is that last week my conditioner started to break down and I got scared. Good thing I found aircon servicing and they removed the problem. Now everything is perfect again.

I had a similar experience like this. My AC also had a lot of noise, I had my car for about 3 years and this issue started to surface. I did not want to spend money bringing it to a mechanic so I read up online on some aircon servicing articles that led me to find out that there was a problem with the fans. I got my friend to help me replace them it was so much cheaper than going to a mechanic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts