8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I don't know if I should upgrade to a Aftermarket alarm system cause of the problems they come with after time, but I work and live in the "ghetto"..

Point of this is I'm afraid to go to school btw I go to night school, and go to my car M.I.A.

ADVICE PLEASE?

·
Registered
343 Posts
i think aftermarket is the way to go, even if there is a problem or two. i trust aftermarket more than stock. plus you can get 2 way pager that will alert you if your alarm has been triggered. if youre more afraid of your car being stolen than just the stuff in it, i'd look into a starter kill. a smart thief will unplug an alarm. starter kills arent that easy. if you unplug it, the car still wont start. the only problem with that is if someone does unplug it, youre kind of SOL for a ride, unless you can rewire it. you'd have to take your car back to the shop to have them hook it up again. PITA, but better than no ride

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I'm debating this myself...stick with stock or go with Viper 5901 for maybe $450 total for unit+install.

The stock alarm on my R18 has the "Wave Key" I think (read up on it, didn't seem too useful), Engine Immobilizer, standard horn honking when you lock with the remote but then a passenger who you left inside...opens the door (lame, haven't figured out how this feature is useful--someone please explain lol). And then there's the red LED in the speedo dash, and the radio's smaller red LED...all in all, may deter a common thief.

For the Viper 5901 I think I still have to purchase a few additional unit things like their Tilt sensor, glass-break-sound sensor, Viper Illuminated scary snake picture thing, alarm backup battery, field disturbance sensor etc, each of which I can get for about $40 apiece, in addition to the cost of the unit itself. The 5901 actually seemed pretty crappy and feature-less considering its $650 retail price and it's the best unit Viper offers...I duno.

My older, wise friend tells me to save my money and stick with the stock alarm, and yeah. I have a spending problem and my brain keeps trying to give me reasons to buy things rofl.

Thoughts?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.