8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here put in after market seats in their civic? I am considering putting in some after market seats, but ran into a problem. In order for me to install the new seat, i'll need to take out the old seat and disable the seat belt sensor (since I'll be putting in a 4pt seat belt). But if i unplugs the wires under the stock seat to disable the sensor and to take it out, it'll screw up my airbags (which I don't want). Anyone know a way around this? Thanks.

·
Registered
414 Posts
well it shouldnt affect your front airbags, but obviously unless you have your aftermarket seats fitted with airbags, then you wont have that side protection. though you will have the airbag light on unless you can find a way to bypass that sensor.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
if you take out the stock seats you need to disable the airbags, otherwise it is extremely dangerous, the airbags all run off a little computer, and you would need to disconnect the plugs from it...that's what i did in my 7th gen...all the plugs are orange (thats how you can tell which one it is) and it should be barried under the dash, usually the center console...if you are getting 4 point harnesses you shouldn't be concerned...just make sure you get safe seats and quality harnesses...your srs light will also stay on

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
I heard a story along time ago with car airbags, and the lateral G censer..I will tell you, cause its funny..

So My friend who works at a BMW stealership said he had a BMW on a lift..they were working on the airbags, and i think something also under the car..so they had it on the lift (there dealership they have like a 2 story lift were you can go on top, and bottom..So one guy was in the car, THOUGHT they disconnected the airbags so they wouldn't go off..He was holding the Lateral G censer, and my friend under the car said "all you heard was like 5+ big bangs..and smoke coming from the cabin.." the guy in the car didn't know they didn't diccontect it yet..

I was cracking up. Just think about it..

·
Registered
414 Posts
thats awesome in a terrible sort of way. i would have cracked up laughing but then be worried cuz airbags can be fatal.

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
if you take out the stock seats you need to disable the airbags, otherwise it is extremely dangerous, the airbags all run off a little computer, and you would need to disconnect the plugs from it...that's what i did in my 7th gen...all the plugs are orange (thats how you can tell which one it is) and it should be barried under the dash, usually the center console...if you are getting 4 point harnesses you shouldn't be concerned...just make sure you get safe seats and quality harnesses...your srs light will also stay on
thats what black tape is for :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am thinking would it be a good idea to rip out all the wires and sensor from the stock seat and stuff it under the new seat? And afterwards i'll jam the seat belt buckle in to the socket. This way the car should think the seat belt is always buckled. If everything goes right, I should still have all airbag function. So, is this a feasible idea or just plain stupid?

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
I dont think it would be safe...the air bags or safety restraint sytem are all designed to work togeather...with a high quality race harness why would you want them?

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Do the type R seats have the airbags in them? if so why not just get them..expensive..but if they do come with it, them that'll say why.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts