8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
silver8th is your man. he'll post up his tom tom navi unit. A few have had their dealerships install an eclipse aftermarket unit since honda was lacking on the SI's with navi.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Garmin i5 $363 shipped. Complete map of US & canada built into the unit. You can use AA batteries which last 6 hours, or just plug it into your cigarette lighter. You can connect it to your computer and download updates for the unit whether it be operating system upgrades or mapping upgrades. I love it and couldn't live without it.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kroze said:
Garmin i5 $363 shipped. Complete map of US & canada built into the unit. You can use AA batteries which last 6 hours, or just plug it into your cigarette lighter. You can connect it to your computer and download updates for the unit whether it be operating system upgrades or mapping upgrades. I love it and couldn't live without it.
are the map upgrades free for that? I am wondering if I should just get something like that
As of now I am considering getting this when it comes out
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_3151_295632461,00.html
my brother is going to get it for his g35c, it just is soooo sick :SHOCKED: :SHOCKED: :thumb: About how much would installation for this run though?

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Dell Axim X5 PDA w/ CF Holux GPS & Mapopolis software.. i think its like 500 bucks i paid.. best navi/pda system ever!

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
Yeah, I really like my tomtom700 because it's so portable and ready to use right out of the box. It's also compatable with my bluetooth phone so it acts as a speaker phone. Definatly saved me lots of time.
Map and other upgrades are free, you just download them from the website.
I've had my tomtom for awhile so I paid about twice as much as Kroze paid for his, but I'm sure there a little cheaper now...

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
I have a Pioneer D1 in my Legend and will be transferring it to my Civic when the weather warms up and I can work on the car. It's ok. I have problems with it when it gets cold. Cuz it gets REALLY REALLY REALLY cold here. When that happens the Navi runs backwards for awhile, but once it warms up it's great. Sound quality is ok. No where near the Alpine F#1 Status players (hehe...) not that most people would care. But I'm an audiophile. :D

I'll post pics in the morning.

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
gaspar2411 said:
Anyone know about the when the harness is coming out to hook up your aftermarket navi system????????
Mine plugs into a cigarette lighter. I rigged one up under the dash next to the fuse box to hide the wires. Also gave it constent power so the navi unit doesn't go off everytime I shut my car off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice GPS devices!

I just ordered a new Civic Coupe in Galaxy Grey Metallic with 5spd manual transmission. I am having local audio gurus (Precision Cellular and Sound - www.precisioncell.com) install aftermarket Navi. I went with the double-din Pioneer Avic-Z1; the newest Pioneer navi with 30 gig hard drive. I will post pics as soon as I get the car (third week in April :rockwoot: ).

DASH KIT: My local shop is ordering my dash kit straight from Honda through the Honda dealer. The price was $45 and it is the same kit they use on the Civics with Navi.

·
Webby's Minion
7,058 Posts
I'm using a Palm T|X PDA with the Palm GPS Navigator package. It uses TomTom's Navigator 5 software and a rebranded Bluetooth GPS receiver. I stick it on the "useless" little window on the driver's side...kinda looks like the way Silver8th has his set up. The MSRP cost of this solution will run you $600, but there are usually deals on this. I paid closer to $450 for it ($250 for the Palm, $200 for the nav). It's a fantastic alternative to the Honda nav. If you've got a Treo, you could install Palm/TomTom Navigator and use that as your navigation.

I'll post pics of my setup when I remember to do it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've seen the Avic-Z1 out on the net for $2250 from a reputable source. That is MAP from what the local installer said; I've done a lot of business there over the years so I trust them to take care of me. I haven't recieved their quote yet so I'm not sure how much install will come out to be. Also going to get the Compustar 900FM Remote Start with Keyless added for those cold winter months here in WI. Can't wait! :driving:

·
Registered
144 Posts
burnhero said:
Nice GPS devices!

I just ordered a new Civic Coupe in Galaxy Grey Metallic with 5spd manual transmission. I am having local audio gurus (Precision Cellular and Sound - www.precisioncell.com) install aftermarket Navi. I went with the double-din Pioneer Avic-Z1; the newest Pioneer navi with 30 gig hard drive. I will post pics as soon as I get the car (third week in April :rockwoot: ).

DASH KIT: My local shop is ordering my dash kit straight from Honda through the Honda dealer. The price was $45 and it is the same kit they use on the Civics with Navi.
When does the Pioneer Avic-z1 b/c that is what i want to get when it comes out for my 2006 honda civic sedan........any idea??

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
burnhero said:
I've seen the Avic-Z1 out on the net for $2250 from a reputable source. That is MAP from what the local installer said; I've done a lot of business there over the years so I trust them to take care of me. I haven't recieved their quote yet so I'm not sure how much install will come out to be. Also going to get the Compustar 900FM Remote Start with Keyless added for those cold winter months here in WI. Can't wait! :driving:
you can get it alot cheaper, my brother claims he can get it for 1600, he has some connections though cause he works in the auto industry

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
burnhero said:
Nice GPS devices!

OMG please like PM me if you remember as soon as u get it all done so i remember to look for pics. My si should be here like a week or 2 after yours and I plan on getting the z1

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just talked to the guy putting the Z1 in my not even made EX. He said pioneer is will send it to him around the first or second week in april. They work almost directly with pioneer and although he didn't have an exact price he estimated 1800 installed.

I have to give him $200 down tomorrow or Tuesday so any feedback on if this is a smart choice would be great.

I should be getting the EX around mid april as well, so all is looking well.. hopefully.

Also, anyone have any info on the Z1 playing DVD's? I saw on pioneers website you need a separate screen but the guy putting it in said it will play them directly.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts