8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My muffler pipe broke today and I had to use a sleeve clamp from AutoZone to keep it attached for now. It broke on the common place between the resonator and the muffler (near the flanges). Thing is that both of my flanges are gone. I'm not sure if it even had any in the first place but it does look like it might've fallen off when it broke. I did look on AutoZone and saw that I could get a full Bosal OE equipment muffler system to replace the old rotten out one for around $180.

What would be better - Have the muffler shop weld on a new muffler (supplied by me), or buy the midpipe and replace the muffler/midpipe myself? Either way i'm already spending like $200 to straighten up the exhaust system but i'm not sure on which route to go. I did see that Bosal is a good aftermarket OE muffler brand although I don't really want to put in a used OEM muffler since it could develop a rattle again. My resonator is a bit dented from the previous accident which is why i'm thinking to just replace the whole system. Any response would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2,295 Posts
This is where mine broke. A pain as I had to replace from the muffler down to the tip. I was told most aftermarket mufflers sucked and I basically had no time to shop around. I ended up going to the dealer which cost me alot. Didn't know that Bosals were good. Good to know if mine rots out or grenades itself. Sorry, i have nothing else to add.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Mine broke in that exact spot. When I gassed it, I heard a loud pop and next thing you know I had an Si. I think most of the people claiming that aftermarket mufflers suck is because they might live in a place where inspections take place (California, Georgia, etc) and might not pass due to the smog of the exhaust system due to the aftermarket muffler. I live in Ohio where no inspections take place.

It really depends on what I really want to do with the car. I might call my local muffler shop and see what the cost is to weld a new muffler on although if they do charge more than $60 I might as well replace the midpipe myself with a new one.

Are the factory mufflers stainless steel?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That actually sucks but I will have to go this route because the aftermarket brands seem to rust out faster and do tend to go out quicker. At least its not an urgency to change so i'll change it later on when other items on the car is sorted out then. I need to change all struts on my car with KYB units first because the car is very floppy and doesn't like sharp turns lol.

·
Super Moderator
2,295 Posts
Yup, when mine went, it was all of a sudden. I was happy for about 2 minutes, then it got annoying. Wife didn't care for it either. I had a borla cat back exhaust when I had my V8 Grand Cherokee in the late 90s. That got old real fast. I'm a "leave it stock" kind of a guy anymore, at least when it comes to the motor.

$200 for the muffler? I remember paying something like $500 out the door (muffler/somethingsomethingpipe/labor). Then again, I got it from the dealer so......... Yes, I realize it was insane, but my ride is stock "quite" again. And that's why I prefer to get OEM parts.......... not having to worry about premature failures and such. REgarding if the OEM mufflers are stainless....... could be?? That photo does show a shiny muffler after 11 years.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Believe it or not I had a bit of fun around the neighborhood but it sounded like a rice bucket at high RPM's so I clamped the exhaust together immediately.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've replaced the muffler section on my 07 Civic a couple times with the Walker brand that Advance carries. I didn't notice any difference in noise, performance in longevity with the Walker compared to the OEM. I live in a salty area and the OEM and aftermarket bolt on both failed in exactly the same place around the same amount of time, so I wouldn't hesitate to replace the OEM rusted parts. I did some digging around previously and the only SS options I could find for a reasonable price were no-name aftermarket fart cans, which I tried for a bit but hated after the first day or so.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually took it in to the muffler shop yesterday and they welded on a new pipe and now the problem is resolved. I only paid $60 and on top of that, the rattle that I assumed was in the muffler is now gone........

·
Super Moderator
2,295 Posts
Win. Then again, hopefully the weld holds. Did he look for more cracks? If you look closely at mine, it, of course, cracked where it did b/c of oxidation (common to our cars) AND there were cracks near the pipe at the muffler. Like my friend told me, welding will buy you time until the inevitable happens. I hope it holds up for ya, good luck!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Win. Then again, hopefully the weld holds. Did he look for more cracks? If you look closely at mine, it, of course, cracked where it did b/c of oxidation (common to our cars) AND there were cracks near the pipe at the muffler. Like my friend told me, welding will buy you time until the inevitable happens. I hope it holds up for ya, good luck!
He replaced it all the way to the resonator where the welds oxidize. Seems like they will hold for a long time!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had many cars over the years and took them to the local muffler shops to install after market systems. I began to notice those systems did not last too long 1 to 3 years at most exhaust before they rotted and became a nuisance. I stick now with original equipment as I expect them to last at least over 10 years. They are either stainless steels or aluminized stainless steel. I would spend the money if I was keeping my car for several years.

·
Super Moderator
2,295 Posts
I had many cars over the years and took them to the local muffler shops to install after market systems. I began to notice those systems did not last too long 1 to 3 years at most exhaust before they rotted and became a nuisance. I stick now with original equipment as I expect them to last at least over 10 years. They are either stainless steels or aluminized stainless steel. I would spend the money if I was keeping my car for several years.
Exactly. If you plan on keeping the car until the cows come home, get OEM. If you only plan on keeping it for a couple of years, then aftermarket.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats what I really plan to do when I have the money to replace it. No rattle as of yet - only the pipe from the resonator and muffler were replaced, not the muffler itself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts