8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
hey guys quick question i have a 09 si [ mods: cai, header, lowering springs, camber kit] ok so i started getting the 2nd and 3rd gear problem the common grinds. i have less then 10k miles on the car i have taken my car in modded for like oil changes and whatever so i want to take it into warranty and get the tranny problem fixed so shoot out some ideas i have thought about it and i know i am protected by some law even though i have aftermarket parts thanks alot the ocho:wigglesmiley:

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
new to the site, planning on purchasing a '10 si sedan in march/april of next year, and decided to go talk to the dealer for a bit about some mods before purchasing.
i'm really in love with the JDM style front end OEM conversion by sickyute, and i questioned the dealer on how it would affect my warranty, according to them "the warranty would be voided due to any modifications made to the car"
i stated "it is OEM honda parts from japan, bolt on"
"they are not US spec so they void the warranty"
does this hold any water? i would assume BODY WORK should have 0 repercussions on the rest of the car, same with headlights (although as somebody said if it can be traced to the elec system then you're SOL)

·
Registered
881 Posts
No they can not, but they will try. If there is a problem like rust developing on the parts, yes it will not be covered. They can not void your entire warranty. The burden of proof that a part caused the problem is on them. They will blame everything on any aftermarket parts. In my case they blamed FlashPro for 2nd gear grind, they lost in BBB arbitration and had to fix the tranny. Now they are blaming FP because they can not communicate with the SRS unit. The Honda service manual states "that if you can not communicate with the SRS and the problem is only with the SRS, then replace the SRS".

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
hey guys quick question i have a 09 si [ mods: cai, header, lowering springs, camber kit] ok so i started getting the 2nd and 3rd gear problem the common grinds. i have less then 10k miles on the car i have taken my car in modded for like oil changes and whatever so i want to take it into warranty and get the tranny problem fixed so shoot out some ideas i have thought about it and i know i am protected by some law even though i have aftermarket parts thanks alot the ocho:wigglesmiley:
you shouldnt have any problems i have already got 2nd and 3rd gear sets replaced with the same mods as u have as long as u dont have a short shifter installed u should be all good.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hey guys, if I were to install aftermarket springs in my sedan, will it void the powertrain warranty in any way? Thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just wanted to add my 2 cents, but this is the info I received at the dealer I usually go to. For some reason I always get helped by the assistant manager and he said that for the most part, if you install a aftermarket intake or exhaust they usually just ignore those. But installing any other part might void your warranty. As the thread says, if the part you installed is what caused the problem, then they have every right to void warranty if not, then you will be ok.

·
Registered
25,210 Posts
i have a 07 fa5 that has a ac problem. as of the time i took it to honda they told me that the ac condenser had a hole. i told them ok cover it under warranty. the told me that it was not covered due to being "road damaged". so i went to another dealer and they told me that they cant do nothing because csh had already noted it in the honda system.

i cant wait to work for them(my buddy is buying a honda dealer) to make them pay for this bs haha. i will be putting i/h/e/fp let them tell me that its not covered

·
Registered
452 Posts
Today i sent my car to dealer for a clutch since its slipping. The same guy gave me a problem last time i went for my neons and saying thats y my amp blew. Today hes asking what i got done under the hood i told him minor stuff intake etc. He then proceeded to tell me that may void my warranty cu it increase the rev limit. I tild him that has nothing to do with my trans and he immediatly said the engine drives the trans. I know what will void my warranty and that will be the reflash and header but without Honda services written proof that the part is defective ir caused the problem! Im afraid of them that they might not warranty my clutch. I hope they do buy im ready for a fight witj them. I will keep posted about this issue
Um not to be a d*ck but, a clutch is a wear and tear item, much like brakes. Its not the responsibility of Honda to warranty that item. Sorry, but if you ride the cluth/abuse it its your own fault man.

Thats like going into Honda and saying THESE BRAKES MUST be replaced now under warranty! Just wont happen.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
If you use a flashpro on your civic, dont worry about warranty voiding, if something goofs, just reflash the car back to its factory map and watch the honda guys scratch thier heads. good ol flashpro!

·
Registered
209 Posts
If you use a flashpro on your civic, dont worry about warranty voiding, if something goofs, just reflash the car back to its factory map and watch the honda guys scratch thier heads. good ol flashpro!
According to some people the dealer can tell if the ecu has been flashed. I wish I knew for sure, but this thread covers the issue...sort of:

FlashPro Question

So the big question is, if an owner flashes back to stock, and everything else is stock, can the dealer still consider the car as modded and deny warranty claims?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Um not to be a d*ck but, a clutch is a wear and tear item, much like brakes. Its not the responsibility of Honda to warranty that item. Sorry, but if you ride the cluth/abuse it its your own fault man.

Thats like going into Honda and saying THESE BRAKES MUST be replaced now under warranty! Just wont happen.

While it's true that your dealer isn't going to tell you about everything that needs to be done on the car if they're working on something else, it is not true that Honda's warranty doesn't cover your clutch.

I literally bought my 07 civic last week as a re-certified honda, from a dealership, I made 100% certain (even got it in writing) that the 100k powertrain warranty that came with the car covered everything that uses oil including the clutch / tranny.

A lesson to be learned in this thread is that if you are concerned about your warranty getting voided over something you want to do, ask first and decide for yourself if you want to continue to do it.

Tuning your car using Flashpro will absolutely void your "bumper to bumper warranty" but should have no effect on your power train, but it is going to be very difficult for you to explain to Honda why you have your VTEC kicking in at 4500, or why you have a launch setting for everyday driving. Don't give them an inch of room to fight you with, tune your car the right way because it is people that did it the wrong way who caused these measures to be implemented in the first place.

I know from a dealer's perspective if you say "I put on lowering springs" the first image that comes to mind is a dumped car that looks like it has slinky's holding the wheels on when it goes over bumps.

Bottom line, ask the dealership, once your warranty is up do whatever you want... but would your rather have that $150 dollar intake or would you like to have to pay for a motor that gets blown?

·
Registered
209 Posts
. . . Tuning your car using Flashpro will absolutely void your "bumper to bumper warranty" but should have no effect on your power train. . .
I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying that using FlashPro will void the entire warranty- including things like the stereo, power windows, starter, alternator, ac, etc???

Any opinions on what flashing the ecu means in terms of warranty loss?

·
Registered
84 Posts
My Clutch, second, and reverse went out and was covered by Honda. I have SRI/H/E/TBS they didnt even bring it up. I do however have a pretty solid relationship built with the dealer. I see the same guy every time, it definetly helps, a few oil changes out of the deal and whatnot.

·
Registered
25,210 Posts
the only thing that will void is the suspension.. but if u get cool ppl like my shop they will be like okkk

61 - 80 of 104 Posts