8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Aftermarket HU Illumination not working!!! Help ASAP!!

I bought a Pioneer HU on my 08 LX Sedan and got it installed just fine with the Metra adapter. I was curious as to why one plug was used for the harness and one is not. Wife turns on headlights, and the illumination is not working. I did not use the orange wire, which is for illumination, on the metra plug as I'm not sure where it goes. I'm thinking it goes somewhere in that plug that is not used. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Yes, the orange illumination wire goes to one of the wires in the main harness. Look at the instructions that came with the harness. The other plug that went to the factory radio is not used for anything. Trust me.

Hans

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you say main harness, do you mean the Pioneer harness? Everything is matched up color wise with the pioneer harness. Do I double up on one of them? I don't have the instructions with me. They are at home and I'm at work.

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
this is the harness plug that the metra harness shodul be plugged into.

pin 9 is the illumination wire.

im not sure what color wire the metra harness wire has, but just count pins and connect the orange wire from the pioneer harness to the wire in the metra harness that coorlates with pin 9 on the oem harness.

hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^Yep!! That's the plug. I will check that tonight. All wires matched up color to color so I'm wondering if I will need to double that pin up. Thanks!

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
what radio do you have?

edit: most pioneer head units are the same wire colors.
the ornage w/ white stripe wire shoud go to the metra harness wire that cooreleates with pin 9.

there are no other orange wires coming from teh pioneer radio...so i have no idea what you would of already connected there.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so...your correct. probly wired fine since ther eis no illumination wire comign otu teh back of the head unit.

what exactly is the problem your having?
it doesnt dim when you turn the headlights on; it might not have that feature :/
My wife said that this morning when she turned the lights on, the whole dash was really dim. I'm wondering if she doesn't know how to adjust the dash lights and they were on the lowest setting.

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
check my post above yours..i added som info
My wife said that this morning when she turned the lights on, the whole dash was really dim. I'm wondering if she doesn't know how to adjust the dash lights and they were on the lowest setting.
:facepalm: most likely the problem.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After looking at page 15, when I turn it on it says demo mode. Maybe that is the issue. Yeah, hopefully either that or the wife thing. ;) Thanks for all your help!!!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nuts. The wife was doing it right. Still no worky.
I was just messing around with it and here's what it does. You turn the lights on and the cluster and dash lights all dim. The + and - to control the dash illumination doesn't do anything with or without the lights on. I checked the metra package and I matched everything up except the orange/white or orange. I'm not sure which one it is but I know that's the only one not hooked up to anything. I'm still thinking that the orange needs to be spliced into something in the other plug that is not bein used.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I figured it out. Last night when I was playing around with it, I pushed and held the button to change it from MPH to KPH, nothing. I am willing to bet I didn't plug the wire back in. Who's the dumby now. lol

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't think I plugged the harness back in that controls the dash illumination button, mph/kph on the left side of the dash.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts