8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

The title pretty much sums it. Where are you guys putting your tweeters? I just want to see where others have been putting theirs.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Factory location, but imaging is poor (smeared). If I had it to do over, I would seriously consider the kick panels. Coaxial mounting in the door is another option. Using the factory location requires a crossover with some tweeter attenuation options (unless you are going bi-amped).

·
Registered
424 Posts
JoJo07FBPFG2 said:
i got mine on the top corners of my windshield, good location with double sided tape!!! need a pic?
Yea! I wana see how it looks. I have too many kicker ks20 tweeters that I bought last year. I had an 06 ex that I "thought" I was going to transform into an audio monster. But fortunately I came across my new 4dr si that just blew me away. My first thoughts, "hmm.. a 4dr si? Gotta have it". I now have it for about 6 months and love it. Anyways i got about maybe 6 pairs of kicker ks20. With this new si I dont want to rip apart things or any modifications that will have to be bought new again in the future for any reason. Im planning on installing some 6.5 speakers somewhere on the door panel. I already bought 1'' adaptors . I need another inch and dont know what I can use to fill that inch. I dont want to drill holes on the panels so my best bet was "at least" double sided tape. Any suggestions?

Heres the adaptors that I bought

And the speakers

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MaXaZoR said:
Kick Panels FTW. Imaging is great, I have my Focal TN's in there and love it.
Were those handmade? I am unable to find any manufacturer that makes kick panels for the 06+ Civic.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man I just heard an 06 Civic 2 door with a nice sound system. The sound was muddy and the speakers seemed a bit out of phase. The tweeters were in stock location. You guys who are putting tweeters in stock location are selling yourselves short.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
that doesnt look too bad at all. I just got a set of JL C5 components. Im going bi-amped though so im putting em in the stock locations.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
4dr_bob said:
You should be able to mount the tweeters in the stock kicks. Here's a pic from an old thread:
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1513&d=1151419208
are there any more pix of this setup?? Does it really sound good with the speakers aimed like that? I havent heard a kick panel setup but i get the feel that the soundstage sound too close to the floor rather than raising the stage to the ideal winshield area....i got a cdt 2way comp set that im gonna be putting in and i was just goin to go with the stock locations and see how it worked. Is it really that bad? I do like the custom kick mod as opposed to having them prefab kicks... i hate how they intrude on the legroom and are asking to get stomped on, i think it would suck to drive a manual car with a kickpod next to the clutch....

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They sound pretty decent in the older Civic (2005). The sound produced had a rainbow effect in the car. I haven't heard tweeters mounted in kicks of the new civics.

When you're deciding tweeter placement, there are generally three things to consider: out of phase placement, reflections, and stage height. By keeping the tweeters within 3 inches of the woofers, you are minimizing out of phase effects (waves canceling each other). If you mount them in the kicks, you pretty much eliminate two out of the three possible problems.

The problem with mounting tweeters in the stock location in our current Civic is that the distance from the ear to tweeter is several inches farther than distance from ear to woofer. Secondly the reflections off the glass usually reduce sound quality. However your stage height would be better placed. So it's a matter of picking and choosing.

I moved my tweeters around earlier today and found them best placed on the dash, in front of the A pillars (within the triangular small window for the 4 door). Distance from tweeter to ear is same as distance from woofer to ear. Stage height is good and no nasty reflections. Unfortunately I am trying to decide whether I should do a surface mount (won't look clean) or flush mount in the A pillar.

It's generally best to point the tweeters toward the sunroof in most cars. Based on all the cars I've heard, deciding on installation is generally more important than choosing speakers/amp over another (as long as your equipment is decent).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had placed my components in the factory location and I was not happy with it. The mids sounded fine. It was the tweeters that sounded bad, especially on the driver's side. That tweeter almost sounded blown. I thought it was until I moved it and then taped it to the door in different locations. Man was I surprised! It was great. I put mine in the same locations as these:
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/i-c-e-electrical-security-navigation/69847-polk-component.html
I actually installed them and then saw that thread. I just want everyone to know the mistake I made so others don't settle for factory location for the tweeter.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I put my alpine type-s tweeters in the front corner windows with the supplied mounting pods, sounds great. the distance between the tweeters and driver and the mids and driver are very close so time alignment isn't much of an issue.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts