8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

i'm thinkin about getting an aftermarket clutch.

I was wondering:

1) is a stage one worth it?

2) which kit would be recommended?

3) same questions but for stage 3.

ACT VS Exedy im guessing?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
264 Posts
if your not modded or slightly modded stay with stock unless its goin out, then go stage 1. anything higher is not needed and wont be comfortable as a DD. hell no for stage 3

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Stage 1 is worth it if you're lightly modded: intake header and exhaust. the clutch will feel a little more stiff but it's daily drivable.

Stage 2 is also worth it if you're lightly modded but have plans to mod more down the road.

Stage 3 is NOT worth it unless you're turboed or highly modified.

I'm using a Exedy Stage 2 w/ an ACT X-Lite flywheel and lightly modded. it's my daily and it's not bad unless I'm exhausted and my foot gets tired.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had an organic exedy clutch with a lightweight flywheel on my GSR. WOW. Its like night and day. The shifting is lot more responsive and quicker. I would do this mod on my stock SI if I had the money. Stage 3 only if your engine is built.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
just a warning about ACT pressure plates......they are too much stress for the master cylinder on these cars. one members car has already cuaght fire because of it, and several others are haivng the same exact problems when using the ACT extreme pressure plate (if im wrong about the specific pressure plate please correct me lol). Now as far as what im gettin, i am going Exedy stage 2 with ACT flywheel

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
thanks guys, u guys are always super helpful.

lol @ me even thinkin about stage 3 =P

but.. sounds like exedy is the one you would
mostly recommend.. considering the fire issue huh?

cool =) i'll definitely look into it.

8thgen members FTW =)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
if the engine is close to stock then getting a performance clutch won't help you. the only time a stronger clutch helps is when your clutch is having trouble handling the power.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
^^^not true.

A stock clutch will not transfer as much power to the wheels as an aftermarket upgrade would. The aftermarket clutches will have a lower loss of transfered power thru the drivetrain.

If you have two completely stock cars, and put a clutch kit in one of them, the clutch'd car will win in the 1/4, 1/8, or road course everytime.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
^^^not true.

A stock clutch will not transfer as much power to the wheels as an aftermarket upgrade would. The aftermarket clutches will have a lower loss of transfered power thru the drivetrain.

If you have two completely stock cars, and put a clutch kit in one of them, the clutch'd car will win in the 1/4, 1/8, or road course everytime.
what're you talking about? once a clutch is completely engaged it doesn't matter what kind of clutch you have. the issue can come up when your clutch is having trouble gripping; that's when engine power is wasted spinning the clutch instead of driving the wheels. you're saying that a performance clutch will show more power on a dyno, which isn't true.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts