8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after researching for a couple months for new headlights for my 2007 Civic EX Sedan (my old ones were getting super fogged from the inside, and no amount of polish was helping it), I finally ordered some lights. I looked into everything from a projector retrofit to HID to LED, and ultimately, because of my limited amount of available time to do a retrofit and having never done one, and not being able to get LED or HID lights installed in a reflector housing (illegal where I live), I decided to just get another set of reflector housings for now, some decent bulbs, and hope I'd get increased vision from my now very fogged OEM originals.

Headlight assembly: FOR 06-11 HONDA CIVIC SEDAN PAIR BLACK HOUSING CLEAR CORNER HEADLIGHT HEAD LAMP | eBay (not this exact seller, but the same part number: HLOHHC064DBKCL1)
Bulbs: OSRAM Night Breaker Laser (Next Generation) +150% HB4

I had the local Honda dealership install them (wanted a shop who knew Honda's well and had probably done this a thousand times). I just took my car for a drive last night to test them out. They're certainly brighter and the vision is greatly improved, however, something seems off. The lights seem to be shining to the right. Here's a couple photos:

I was driving on one headlight for awhile, and fogged lenses, so I don't entirely even remember what the beam should look like. But something tells me that ain't it. The two hot spots particularly visible in the brighter picture towards the right side of the road just don't seem right, and I'm trying to decide if that's due to the bulbs I chose, a bad reflector housing I ordered, or if something's wrong with the install.

A friend of mine ordered almost the exact same headlight assembly (but the smoked lens version) and she put HIDs in (again, technically illegal here). The same dealership that I went to installed them, and her's look even and centered.

I learned about the adjustment screw on the enclosure, but that only seems to be for vertical adjustment, and I don't think it'll help me here.

Does this look normal to anyone? Anything I can do besides live with it?

·
Super Moderator
2,448 Posts
For aftermarket lenses, this is about what I expect. Lousey beam pattern. Try to get OEM lights, I know they are very expensive. I have retros on my rig, but those (currently on the car) were very expensive. Anyway, through 14 years of ownership, I found that aftermarket lights suck, unless you get lucky. If you want to go HID, get a projector built for them. The beam pattern will be superior and you won't blind anyone. Good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For aftermarket lenses, this is about what I expect. Lousey beam pattern.
Ugh, I was afraid of that.

If you want to go HID, get a projector built for them. The beam pattern will be superior and you won't blind anyone.
So just to confirm, you're thinking remove the new headlight assembly I have now (with bad beam pattern, since they're shiny and new at least), and do a projector retrofit on those ones? I take it that's because the projector won't be utilizing the bad reflector design at all, and therefore will be fine with projectors? Maybe I should just put in my OEM ones again for now and do that... I just have to find someone who's willing to help me with the bumper.

·
Super Moderator
2,448 Posts
Ugh, I was afraid of that.

So just to confirm, you're thinking remove the new headlight assembly I have now (with bad beam pattern, since they're shiny and new at least), and do a projector retrofit on those ones? I take it that's because the projector won't be utilizing the bad reflector design at all, and therefore will be fine with projectors? Maybe I should just put in my OEM ones again for now and do that... I just have to find someone who's willing to help me with the bumper.
Unfortunately yes, aftermarket headlight assemblies are normally garbage. I understand if you are trying to take care of your wallet. If that is important, then live with the beam pattern. My OCD won't allow it, LOL. I've had about 4 aftermarket headlights over the years (that I can remember) and they are were crap. Look nice, but function poorly.

As far as a retrofit, if you know what you are doing, have the patience, tools, then you can do it. Otherwise look for a retrofitter to charge you about a grand to do it (not including hardware such as a projector, bulbs, ballast, harnesses and sealant). AS far as using the aftermarket assembly, yes, you can use that as you'll be boring a hole into the reflector to accommodate the projector. Lots of info/videos on how to do it. Or you can look on fleabay for a used one or look for deals on facebook marketplace. I see them pop up from time to time. As far as taking the bumper off, that is the easiest tasks (I've taken mine off probably 30+ times by now).

I get my parts from : theretrofitsource.com
Retrofitter I used: lightwerkz.net

Good luck, hope this info helps.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I ruined both of my headlights recently by sanding and spraying clear coat instead of buffing it and was forced to replace both headlights with aftermarket headlights (I should've listened to you ED...) and the left high beam is aimed a bit higher than the right one. Both low beams are aimed straight which matters the most but ED is right, the OEM headlights will always be the best. No adjustment will fix my issue as both low and high move at the same time. The OEM is very expensive at $200+ a piece but one day I might replace just the plastic lens on the original headlights.

·
Premium Member
2,110 Posts
You could just swap the lens from the new ones to your oem hazey ones. Grab a heat gun from harbor freight (< 15 bucks) and it's an easy (messy) job.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I understand if you are trying to take care of your wallet. If that is important, then live with the beam pattern. My OCD won't allow it, LOL.
This is my exact issue haha. I'm a money saver, but also a person with very high attention to detail, and anything that's off like that, I can't just let sit without fixing and will put money into it to make it not bug me. Otherwise it will legit be on my mind until the day I sell the car (bought it brand new in 2007 and still love it so much).

Otherwise look for a retrofitter to charge you about a grand to do it (not including hardware such as a projector, bulbs, ballast, harnesses and sealant).
Yikes, yeah I was afraid of that. I'm tempted to try myself (I'm super careful), but there's something about just trusting someone else who's done it a thousand times to do it right.

I get my parts from : theretrofitsource.com
Retrofitter I used: lightwerkz.net
Hahaha, it is some sort of hard requirement that all of these retrofitters have a Z at the end of their name?
lightwerkz.net
lightcreationz.com
precisionworkz.com

I've heard of The Retrofit Source before; they seem pretty good, and if I follow through with trying to do this myself, I'll probably hit them up. Glad to hear from someone that can vouch for them!

You could just swap the lens from the new ones to your oem hazey ones. Grab a heat gun from harbor freight (< 15 bucks) and it's an easy (messy) job.
You know...I never actually thought of that but it's not a bad idea.

Basically my thoughts right now, in order from cheapest to most expensive:
[1] Try to take my OEM ones apart (that are currently out of the car now) and see if I can polish up the outside AND the inside of the lenses and see if it makes a difference. If it does, swap back, use my new OSRAM brighter halogens and be done with it. Sell the ones I bought (if I can). Or, if the lenses aren't recoverable on the OEM ones and still show bubbling or oxidation, do what mfinlay04 said and swap the lenses from the new ones to the OEMs.

[2] Clean up the OEM ones as best I can and put them back in. Order a projector kit and LED or HID kit (anyone have a preference between the two?) and do the build on the aftermarket assembly and install those after I'm done.

[3] Clean up the OEM ones as best I can and put them back in. Hire a retrofitting company most likely ending with a Z and send them my aftermarket headlights and have them order/install the parts (ExNaviEx: did you order the parts and send them to Lightwerkz, or did they order the parts based on what you wanted? I assume you can do either?). Install them once they come back.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I’m in the same situation. Boyfriend has an ‘09 coupe and got aftermarket headlights off Amazon (they had good reviews). But the beams are more right heavy and comparing our two cars (I have a ‘11 coupe with the oem’s still in) it’s crazy how much better my lights are- 10 years later. We’re discussing Spec-d but I’m not crazy about their reviews. I’m more for just spending the money and getting replacement oem’s for his car, not sure if he can restore his original oem’s.
please let me know what you end up doing

·
Premium Member
2,110 Posts
Spec-d are garbage. Don't water you're money. If you're mechanically inclined, you can do you're own retrofit, it's honestly not that hard with the rights parts. TRS mini H1 kit is super easy and would eliminate any alignment issues as you can align them the way you want before "setting" them with the lock nut and some jb weld.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
please let me know what you end up doing
So! Here's the update. I ended up not being able to deal with how bad the beam pattern was on the aftermarket headlight assemblies and the fact there was bright spots on the right (as clearly shown in my photos above). I thought about removing them and doing a retrofit on them (since they had the cleaner looking lenses), but I ultimately decided against that because A, more money, and B, even if I was to take my time and do it properly and safely (putting a proper projector in and doing HIDs or LEDs that were made specifically for the projector put in), where I live in Canada there's strict laws about not making modifications to headlight assemblies, and no modification being legal unless the manufacturer of the vehicle specifically released the alternate lighting as an option for that car from the factory, which for the 07 Civic, as far as I know, is not the case.

So, to remain compliant and legal, I decided to return my aftermarket headlights (I was offered a full refund) and take a weekend and clean up my OEMs. I took a couple hours and sanded the surface of the OEM headlights, then polished them, and then applied a UV protecting layer to them (may consider a scotchgard film down the road). They're miles better than they were. There's still a little bit of haze on the inside towards the top outside edge of the low beam section of the light, which almost looks like burning or something from the bulb, but hard to tell. I've opted to not take the lens off for now though and just stick with the much cleaner result I got from just the sanding and polishing. I then reinstalled my OSRAM halogens I bought (link above).

Lastly, instead of paying Honda a second time, I thought "this can't be that bad", and did the bumper removal and headlight installation myself. An hour and a half later or so, and I was done with the install. Didn't even need a clip removal tool, just a flathead screwdriver did it.

The results...speak for themselves (Aftermarket on the Left, OEM on the Right after cleaning them and reinstalling):

I haven't seen that well in ages.

We’re discussing Spec-d but I’m not crazy about their reviews.
Don't do it. Seriously. When I was researching aftermarket headlights at the beginning of this year, I sent emails to Spec-D and DNA Motoring (the aftermarket ones I got were DNA. I only got them because a friend got them, and she ended up getting lucky and hers are good, which is the only reason I hunted down the exact same model she had because I thought if the models were the same, surely the product must be the same...nope).

DNA actually responded to my requests, albeit terribly. But Spec-D? Nothing. I sent them about 6 emails over the course of 2 months. Not a single reply. The last message I sent them, I received a bounceback email saying the recipients mailbox was full and my message couldn't be sent. So clearly nobodies checking their emails there. Their BBB rating is 1/5 stars. I've also seen numerous reports online of trying to call them and calls just going to voicemail, and then to dead phone lines later on. The company has a flashy looking website with the appearance of being a decent company with a large office building, but they're absolutely useless and in my 2 months of research, never got a hold of a single person there.

I'd highly recommend cleaning up the OEMs, or, providing your laws aren't as crazy strict as ours here, keep the OEMs stock and use the aftermarket ones your boyfriend got and do a retrofit on those ones so you don't have to break the seal on the OEMs. Try the sanding trick though on the OEMs! This guy has a great video:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wow what a difference!!! Congrats and I’m glad to hear you can see again :) I’m definitely nervous about restoring the original headlights and don’t know if we could install them ourselves but you definitely gave me some confidence!

·
Registered
21 Posts
So! Here's the update. I ended up not being able to deal with how bad the beam pattern was on the aftermarket headlight assemblies and the fact there was bright spots on the right (as clearly shown in my photos above). I thought about removing them and doing a retrofit on them (since they had the cleaner looking lenses), but I ultimately decided against that because A, more money, and B, even if I was to take my time and do it properly and safely (putting a proper projector in and doing HIDs or LEDs that were made specifically for the projector put in), where I live in Canada there's strict laws about not making modifications to headlight assemblies, and no modification being legal unless the manufacturer of the vehicle specifically released the alternate lighting as an option for that car from the factory, which for the 07 Civic, as far as I know, is not the case.

So, to remain compliant and legal, I decided to return my aftermarket headlights (I was offered a full refund) and take a weekend and clean up my OEMs. I took a couple hours and sanded the surface of the OEM headlights, then polished them, and then applied a UV protecting layer to them (may consider a scotchgard film down the road). They're miles better than they were. There's still a little bit of haze on the inside towards the top outside edge of the low beam section of the light, which almost looks like burning or something from the bulb, but hard to tell. I've opted to not take the lens off for now though and just stick with the much cleaner result I got from just the sanding and polishing. I then reinstalled my OSRAM halogens I bought (link above).

Lastly, instead of paying Honda a second time, I thought "this can't be that bad", and did the bumper removal and headlight installation myself. An hour and a half later or so, and I was done with the install. Didn't even need a clip removal tool, just a flathead screwdriver did it.

The results...speak for themselves (Aftermarket on the Left, OEM on the Right after cleaning them and reinstalling):

View attachment 244596 View attachment 244597

Don't do it. Seriously. When I was researching aftermarket headlights at the beginning of this year, I sent emails to Spec-D and DNA Motoring (the aftermarket ones I got were DNA. I only got them because a friend got them, and she ended up getting lucky and hers are good, which is the only reason I hunted down the exact same model she had because I thought if the models were the same, surely the product must be the same...nope).

DNA actually responded to my requests, albeit terribly. But Spec-D? Nothing. I sent them about 6 emails over the course of 2 months. Not a single reply. The last message I sent them, I received a bounceback email saying the recipients mailbox was full and my message couldn't be sent. So clearly nobodies checking their emails there. Their BBB rating is 1/5 stars. I've also seen numerous reports online of trying to call them and calls just going to voicemail, and then to dead phone lines later on. The company has a flashy looking website with the appearance of being a decent company with a large office building, but they're absolutely useless and in my 2 months of research, never got a hold of a single person there.

I'd highly recommend cleaning up the OEMs, or, providing your laws aren't as crazy strict as ours here, keep the OEMs stock and use the aftermarket ones your boyfriend got and do a retrofit on those ones so you don't have to break the seal on the OEMs. Try the sanding trick though on the OEMs! This guy has a great video:

View attachment 244596 View attachment 244597

Thank you so much for linking a video! And yeah, I’m definitely staying far away from Spec-D. I don’t think we’ll do the retrofit, as that’s costly and at that point might as well get replacement OEM’s from Majestic or somewhere. But I truly appreciate the time you took to write this up :)

·
Super Moderator
2,448 Posts
Interesting product, however, if you are a cheap bas*** like me, head to Walmart and get yourself some Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish. cost something like $6-8. Apply and buff (no machine). I only need about 2-3 applications before my headlights are transparent again. The Mother's Headlight Renewal more than likely is a better product, but he mag polish is cheaper and easier. OF course, depends on how hazy/oxidized your lights are, YYMV.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank you both! I will look into both of these options, I am going to need to restore my own headlights because I need to get tires and potentially rims so I'd like to not spend extra money on getting OEM headlights lmao Though I am 99% sure my boyfriend is going to be getting the OEM and get these crummy aftermarkets off and returned.
It'll be a fun project restoring my headlights! I'll have to take before and after pictures when I do it this month :)

·
Registered
789 Posts
Hey guys, if you are motivated enough to restore them 100% and are willing to replace the lens and keep the OEM unit, it's very possible to do so with only a heat gun, sticky work gloves, and a flat head to pry off the edges. I will be replacing my lens with aftermarket clear OEM-like lens and keep the OEM housing which is what I want on my car. My aftermarket ones are going to be sold on eBay.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Oh wow! Please let me know how the lens look when it's completed (if you haven't done it yet). I hope it works out well for you!!

·
Premium Member
2,110 Posts
Hey guys, if you are motivated enough to restore them 100% and are willing to replace the lens and keep the OEM unit, it's very possible to do so with only a heat gun, sticky work gloves, and a flat head to pry off the edges. I will be replacing my lens with aftermarket clear OEM-like lens and keep the OEM housing which is what I want on my car. My aftermarket ones are going to be sold on eBay.
View attachment 244623 View attachment 244624
Looks good. Only downside going this route, is that I've heard the aftermarket lens tend to have quicker than OEM. So just make sure you have some PlasticX or similar to apply a few times a year at least to make sure they last.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Looks good. Only downside going this route, is that I've heard the aftermarket lens tend to have quicker than OEM. So just make sure you have some PlasticX or similar to apply a few times a year at least to make sure they last.
I might install a clear film before installing but that's if I feel like doing all the work to get the OEM units back in the car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts