8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 Civic Si Sedan

I decided on one 12' Alpine Type R and a Kenwood KAC-8103D Class D Mono Amp

I'm gonna use the factory HU and use the following install method.
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/audio/12231-diy-installing-aftermarket-su

The amp is 300rms at 4ohm and 500rms at 2 ohm. Since the sub is 4ohm, I must also hookup the amp at 4hm?

Also, what is better for this setup a ported box or sealed?

This is my first attempt at hooking up a stereo and dont wont to fry anything.

Thanks in avance!!

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
to get a 2 ohm load at the amp wire it like this:
Subwoofer Wiring Diagrams

That's pretty straight forward.

Ported/Sealed depends on what type of music you listen to and the preferences for bass you have.

If you're going ported, you'll want to build the box yourself or have a shop do it so that it can be built to a specific tuning frequency. If you buy pre-fab you'll potentially not get what you really want.

If you go sealed, there's less work involved. Just get a box the right size and call it a day.

If you're doing this all yourself, I'd go sealed for now. You may like it, you may not. But it's much less work the first time out. And being a noob, to subwoofers, I'm pretty sure that determining the right box size, tuning frequency, port displacement, etc will be overwhelming.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^Damn

That sux, guess I need to rethink this. I dont wont to do any electrical upgrades. I didnt think a 300-500 RMS class D amp would have that much impact.

Anyone else out there running one KAC-8103D amp and one sub?

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
that amp will not pull enough current to do anything to your lights. If it does, there's cheap options to help.

Go sealed and get a dual 4 ohm sub so you can get 2 ohm out of the amp. Actually, i would look into other amps with cleaner power. You're looking at a great sub, don't hurt it's potential. You wouldn't put 87 octane in an SI would you just to save a few bucks?

Lastly, if you've never hooked up an audio system in a car before, I would not recommend it without someone who has done many systems to look over your shoulder to make sure you're not doing anything terribly wrong. It's usually pretty hard to mess up if you have a diagram to show you how and where to wire but doesn't mean you can't do something horribly wrong and fry an amp, blow a speaker or even worse, start a fire. I've seen Best Buy installers start a car on fire and they're "trained." no such thing as being too cautious unless you're trying to get some insurance money, but they won't cover you being dumb with installing your own system.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thx for the help y'all! I know I should probably buy a better amp but I'd rather get the cheaper one and not have to justify any debit card transactions to the wife!

She already thinks my xbox360 games are a wasteful. Blasphemy! haha

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have purchased everything except the sub box. What y'all think of these boxes? Anyone bought this brand before? Building my own is not an option.

Custom PS-H16-1X12DA Car Audio 12" Hatch Angle Sub Box

Custom PS-SB1X12VRND Single 12" Vented Subwoofer Enclosure Box

Vented Sub Box Enclosure Single 12" Subwoofer

Also, I bought an amp kit but realized it was only 14ft. That long enough for a sub mounted on back of rear seat (08 civic sedan)? Will probably end up running the line through the tire well and maybe under center console if length permits.

Thx

·
Registered
91 Posts
08CivicSigg,

The main problem that you run into with Prefab boxes that are vented or bandpass, is that they are almost never built to match your specific subwoofer. This will cause peaks and dips in the sound, making the sub sound anywhere from mildly annoying to unberable.

The reason (*Very* simplified explanation) is that each sub has very specific properties. These will vary from brand to brand, and they will determine the exact dimensions to which a box should be built.

Sealed boxes are the most forgiving when the volume is slightly off to what the sub likes, so you can get a sealed prefab box that's as close as possible to the recommended size, and get good results out of it.

But vented and bandpass need to be built to very exact specs.

Since building your own is not an option, if you're set on a vented/bandpass box, go find yourself a couple of reputable audio shops, and ask them to build a box for that specific sub.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hear ya, sealed it is. I went ahead and got a longer amp kit. Thx y'all, I'll let you know how it all turns out, haha! Should be a good ole profanity laced first time install.

Peace

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.