8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have picked out my Nav unit (D3) with the accessories (Back up Cam, BT, XMTraffic). I decided to go with aftermarket because I wanted the XMTraffic more than anything else.

The stock system doesn't sound horrible to me. I want to replace the speakers all the way around including the free-air sub. The problem is that I do not want to put anything in the trunk. I wouldn't mind buying amps but where is there in the car to put them? The Pioneer accessory boxes I want are small and I figure those can be mounted underneath the drivers/passenger seats. The XM box can be mounted in the stock location, IIRC it's underneath the rear seat. I want to replace the stock speakers with better solutions but I don't need that much more power. Any suggestions from the ICE experts on here?

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
there are going to be no subs that fit under your seats. you can have a box made that fits in the trunk in the dead space to the left or right

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NIGHTHAWKSI said:
there are going to be no subs that fit under your seats. you can have a box made that fits in the trunk in the dead space to the left or right
Who said anything about putting a sub under the seat? Why would you even want to do that? I'll be replacing the stock sub with an aftermarket solution in the same location.

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
nevermind i misread...i dont think there are too many options of subs that will fit in the stock location. i do remember reading of a pioneer that fits though...and for speakers..i have always had good lukc with infinity, they sound great.

BTW...i think the xm is mounted in the trunk behind the carpet at the passenger side.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
NIGHTHAWKSI said:
nevermind i misread...i dont think there are too many options of subs that will fit in the stock location. i do remember reading of a pioneer that fits though...and for speakers..i have always had good lukc with infinity, they sound great.
BTW...i think the xm is mounted in the trunk behind the carpet at the passenger side.
from experience I would stay away from Infinity speakers. Before I knew anything about car stereos I would have definately recommended Infinity to anyone but since I have been in the game for quite a few years I personally would go with a speaker that is more hight quality. I have focals in mine and love them. The sound quality is awesome and isn't as bright as the infinitys. the trick is to find speakers that are well ballanced. But, if infinity works for you then i would go for it. What kind of a budget are you working off of???? That is the biggest question to ask before you decide to do car audio.

***EDIT***
One more thing...If you want to install a sub in the stock sub location then i would consider building a tuned encolsure around the sub otherwise sound quality wont be as good and you wont get the tight bass that you might want.

·
Registered
406 Posts
The Kappas series aren't that bad. The tweeter/driver balance is quite off though, in my opinion.

I was running Focal Utopias since I had the car and have since switched out to the the 165 PolyKev's. I have been a Focal fanatic for many years - great speakers.

Also, look into CDT or IDQ components. Both offer great speakers as well.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bkurtz2006 said:
from experience I would stay away from Infinity speakers. Before I knew anything about car stereos I would have definately recommended Infinity to anyone but since I have been in the game for quite a few years I personally would go with a speaker that is more hight quality. I have focals in mine and love them. The sound quality is awesome and isn't as bright as the infinitys. the trick is to find speakers that are well ballanced. But, if infinity works for you then i would go for it. What kind of a budget are you working off of???? That is the biggest question to ask before you decide to do car audio.
With speakers it all depends on power. I don't know where the stock amp is in the car yet, and again I don't want to mount anything in the trunk. I want all the stock room that the trunk offers. I haul motorcycle wheels and all sorts of nonsense back there and I'm not willing to sacrifice any room. That leaves underneath the seats to use for space and wherever the stock amp is located.

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
not to put down your choice of HU...but the d3 is not going to have the best of SQ, the unit is cheaper becuase it has a little of everything in it (cd/dvd/radio/xm/bluetooth/navi) but no one strong thing in peticular....especially the soound processor.as long as you dont get the cheapest speakers out there, you wont be able to tell a big difference. i wouldnt waste too much money on expensive speakers when the HU cannot supply them with good sound.

anyway...good luck with the install.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have Polk Audio SR6500's all the way around and couldnt be happier. I matched them with a Polk Audio C400.4 and a Polk audio SR124DVC sub that is hooked to a Polk Audio C500.1. The clarity is amazing

I have the stock navigation and use the rockford 360.1 to cancel out the stock eq. I can control the eq of the system via bluetooth throught the 360.1 from a phone or a laptop

·
Registered
406 Posts
Go for the Eclipse AVN series if you are going to go double-din. Processing from the Fujitsu's is miles above anything else without doing any active processing.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
lush said:
Go for the Eclipse AVN series if you are going to go double-din. Processing from the Fujitsu's is miles above anything else without doing any active processing.
Great choice to go with the AVN series. I have a Pioneer D1 in my Si and it has been great to me but it lately has started to take a crap on me. I began looking at navi dvd combo double din HU's and decided on going with the Eclipse AVN5510 or the 6610 series. Gotta have that 24 bit DAC in there. Plus all the othere similar units just dont seem to match the features that eclipse offers.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
TommyD said:
With speakers it all depends on power. I don't know where the stock amp is in the car yet, and again I don't want to mount anything in the trunk. I want all the stock room that the trunk offers. I haul motorcycle wheels and all sorts of nonsense back there and I'm not willing to sacrifice any room. That leaves underneath the seats to use for space and wherever the stock amp is located.
I really can't agree with that statement not to be rude at all though. Speaker design, material used, as well as the crossover quality play a huge part in the quality of the sound out of the speaker. Power is a good portion of having a good quality speaker though it isn't everything.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bkurtz2006 said:
I really can't agree with that statement not to be rude at all though. Speaker design, material used, as well as the crossover quality play a huge part in the quality of the sound out of the speaker. Power is a good portion of having a good quality speaker though it isn't everything.
Oh man, I type something and it gets taken way, way out of context.

It does depend upon power and I was referring to my selection of what I'm going to buy. If I can't find some room for an aftermarket amplifier then I'll have to buy speakers that will run off the stock amp. If I get to go aftermarket with an amp, then I'll have to choose speakers based on RMS of the amp I buy. That is what I meant. Don't get your panties in a bunch.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
If you're wanting a lot of power, it's going to be hard finding small amps. But, there is hope. Alpine makes a nice series of amplifiers called "PDX" which are all the same size, but have different power attributes. They are on the expensive side, but IMO, worth every penny.

Also, Pioneer has a line of ICE amps like Alpine that you can look into Pioneer PRS, but IIRC they are a little larger than the PDX's.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
TommyD said:
Oh man, I type something and it gets taken way, way out of context.

It does depend upon power and I was referring to my selection of what I'm going to buy. If I can't find some room for an aftermarket amplifier then I'll have to buy speakers that will run off the stock amp. If I get to go aftermarket with an amp, then I'll have to choose speakers based on RMS of the amp I buy. That is what I meant. Don't get your panties in a bunch.
woah calm down, Im not trying to disprove what you were saying. i just didn't know completely what your refering to when you were talking about power. It just sounded like you were saying that power is the only thing that makes a speaker sound good which I cant agree with. Like I had said in my other post, i wasn't trying to be rude by what I had said about your comment...

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bikinpunk said:
If you're wanting a lot of power, it's going to be hard finding small amps. But, there is hope. Alpine makes a nice series of amplifiers called "PDX" which are all the same size, but have different power attributes. They are on the expensive side, but IMO, worth every penny.

Also, Pioneer has a line of ICE amps like Alpine that you can look into Pioneer PRS, but IIRC they are a little larger than the PDX's.
No, I'm not wanting a bunch of power. I want a little more volume than stock (not heaps, but a little bit more) and more clarity. I'm not trying to install some competition system nor am I trying to dump thousands and thousands into it.
Ideally I'd like to replace all the stock speakers, and replace the stock amp with something a little bit better and that has a little more power. I will use an aftermarket free-air sub (probably the kicker at this stage since the other thread says it has the least modding necessary to make it fit) as well. If I have to get a 1 off custom enclosure I'll do it, as long as it will mount in the factory location on the sedan (rear deck) and retain the stock grill.

The AVN series looks good but I can't do XM or XMtraffic with it, which is what I want. All I listen to in the car is channel 65 and channel 80, love both stations on XM.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
bkurtz2006 said:
woah calm down, Im not trying to disprove what you were saying. i just didn't know completely what your refering to when you were talking about power. It just sounded like you were saying that power is the only thing that makes a speaker sound good which I cant agree with. Like I had said in my other post, i wasn't trying to be rude by what I had said about your comment...
No problem, I wasn't heated anyway.

Room is the problem and I can't get off the plate until I know where and how much room I'll have to put in amp(s). Where is there room in this car, in the cabin, to mount stuff? How much room is there under the console and dash?
As soon as I know that I need to get measurements and then see if there is enough room for these newer Alpine amps to fit.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
TommyD said:
No problem, I wasn't heated anyway.

Room is the problem and I can't get off the plate until I know where and how much room I'll have to put in amp(s). Where is there room in this car, in the cabin, to mount stuff? How much room is there under the console and dash?
As soon as I know that I need to get measurements and then see if there is enough room for these newer Alpine amps to fit.
It's all good...
Unfortunatley space is limited in the car. You might be able to put the amps on the left or right sides of the trunk if they are small enough. Here's an idea... Go to cardomain.com and check out some of the setups that other people have done to get an idea of the space that you would be saving/loosing if you did certain installs. Alpine does have some small amps that still do sound good though.

·
Registered
406 Posts
There isn't much room anywhere other than the trunk in the car. The rear fenders have little room behind the trunk lining and even less space to mount securely.

You could probably do under the seat but it would have to be a pretty small amp. Under the dash is out of the question, even with something as small as the PDX line. I'd say with the PDX amp, you could do one under each seat and be just fine.

Let me know what you wanna do and I can help you out with that install...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts