8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I attempted to remove the bolts holding the front passenger side control arm in place and it didn't go well. Got the 17mm facing down with relative ease but the other horizontal 14mm one would not come out. I think it turned slightly but I've nearly rounded the bolt head so I gave up on it. I've did some lite research and I think some people have had success cutting off the bolts and the welded on nut and replacing it with a regular nut? Not sure what option to take with it and any advice or an idea on how to go about removing the bolt would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
49 Posts
What are using to try and get it undone?

I just took apart my whole subframe using a 1/2 drive socket wrench, and the top part of my jack handle as a breaker bar=money

·
Registered
49 Posts
-1 You could try an impact, the hammering pulse can be better than straight torque to break stubborn bolts

-2 maybe some sort of over nuthead extractor, they sell them at lowes

-3 cut or grind into it

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hit the heck out of them with a rubber mallet or cut em up however make sure car is safe and secure before you go all Rambo on it.
I was using a 1/2' breaker bar and the handle of my jack. Pretty sure the bolt turned slightly but is seized in the bushing. I may start cutting this weekend and I am always pretty safe. I put the car on jack stands and leave the floor jack under the jack point in the front.

What are using to try and get it undone?

I just took apart my whole subframe using a 1/2 drive socket wrench, and the top part of my jack handle as a breaker bar=money
I was using a 1/2' breaker bar and the handle of my jack. Problem was the 12 point socket I was using. Completely forgot that I actually had a 6 point socket set buried in my tool box.

How involved is removing the sub frame? If it's not too much overkill I may consider doing that.

-1 You could try an impact, the hammering pulse can be better than straight torque to break stubborn bolts

-2 maybe some sort of over nuthead extractor, they sell them at lowes

-3 cut or grind into it
1 I don't have an impact but one day I really hope to get one!

2 I think the bolt threads are broken loose but the bolt is seized in the bushing and an extractor would just strip.

3 I am considering this route and after cutting out the old arm, I may be able to spin out what's left of the bolt with an extractor or a pliers.

Thank you all for the responses! I have a couple of replacement bolts I got from the stealership and will see what I can do this weekend to finish my problem or make it even worse.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Removing the subframe was WAY easier than I thought, you may want to look into that, but you need some space and some jack stands and such.

Do you still have your ball joints attached to your control arms? That bolt might unseize when you take the load off, any pb on it?

Walmart sells a corded impact for like 50 bucks, I found a cheap one on Craigslist, and its already paid for itself.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had a flywheel bolt strip on me, while I was using a ratchet wrench and breaker bar, took an impact to it and it came out in 30 secs.

Have you tried turning it the other way, to see if it will unpinch.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Removing the subframe was WAY easier than I thought, you may want to look into that, but you need some space and some jack stands and such.

Do you still have your ball joints attached to your control arms? That bolt might unseize when you take the load off, any pb on it?

Walmart sells a corded impact for like 50 bucks, I found a cheap one on Craigslist, and its already paid for itself.
I'm going to have to consider getting an impact especially after the hell that was today trying to do things myself.

I had a flywheel bolt strip on me, while I was using a ratchet wrench and breaker bar, took an impact to it and it came out in 30 secs.

Have you tried turning it the other way, to see if it will unpinch.
Didn't get back to that side today. Got the other control arm off with out too much trouble. Not sure if I'm going to bother at this point. Might just throw money at a garage to do it for me.

So looking at my arms, there's a steel insert that goes all the way through, so its not pinching any bushing.
I've read the bolt can seize to that inner sleeve. Someone who owned this car before me went over a curb or something on the side that is giving me trouble. The bolt might be bent for all I know. I have a replacement bolt for it if I get it off.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It will defintley be less of a headache if you make it someone else's problem, but you may end up paying out the @$$ because the shop decides to charge +3 hours for the "unforseen" work or whatever.

·
Registered
49 Posts
if you still want to do it yourself, I would look into dropping your subframe. You need 2 jack stands, a jack (2 is better) 17mm, and 14mm sockets and some straps to tie up your rack and Pinon.

It was one of those things that sounded way more intimidating than it actually was. Just stick your bolts in a piece of card board and label them so you keep track of what goes where.

You'll also be able to actually get a good look at everything, check out that side that got hit. Imo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts