8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I've been doing tons of research and its just hard for me to decide, so I'mwondering what you guys think, 09 SI coupe or Fa5, Mazdaspeed3, or VW GTI.
Let me know which and why.
Thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ive been doing similar research. Except I was between a RX-8 and an FA5. Id say FA5. Its great on gas, sporty, better looking IMO than the mazda and gti, and its only a bit slower than the GTI. Mazdas and GTI's are "me too" cars. If you want attention on the road forget about the FA5. If you dont mind, get the si. You wont be disappointed.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Don't just research, or you'll be very disappointed in the long run I think. Get out there and test drive each of them and decide what is best for you by yourself. Going fast in a straight line is cool, but its so much more fun to rip through twisties and revving higher than most people will believe, that's why I got the Si. But that's not for all people.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Do your own research and come to your own conclusions, better in the long run to have no regrets. Go and test drive each car on your list. go to carreview and read owner reviews, go to edmunds/car and driver etc and read professional reviews, then make a decision.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should be test driving all 3 within the next two weeks. And its just all of them have the thing i like and dont, plus feedback from people who have owned their car for a while now could give me honest opinions on how their car has held up, any problems, or things that they like.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The cars are all so similar on paper (especially Gti and Si) that it basically came down to looks and price for me.

I don't like the hatchback look of the Gti so I was looking at the Gli instead. Sure in the VW you might actually feel the torque, but how often are you going to gun it from 0 to 60 to care about the few tenths difference in the times. Plus, the honda engine is more fun to rev. The VW's have more goodies, but the honda is less expensive. It all depends on what you're looking for.

I basically picked the FA5 over the Gli becuase it was similar performance plus navi for less money (if not a bit less refined).

Those people are right, you just have to test drive

·
Registered
134 Posts
Like those stated above, test drive!
But my personal choice is SI if its going to be your DD. MS3 for weekend car. Reputation of vw reliability puts me off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea thats been the put off with me for VW, their reliability. I hear the cars dont hold up well and rattle, and i like the room in the MS3, but i dont think i want to pay that insurance when its not necassary.
Have you guys had any problems with your SI's?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yea thats been the put off with me for VW, their reliability. I hear the cars dont hold up well and rattle, and i like the room in the MS3, but i dont think i want to pay that insurance when its not necassary.
Have you guys had any problems with your SI's?
the problem with my Si is that it takes away all my extra money because of mods:wigglesmiley:

·
Registered
363 Posts
I just bought my 09 last month. I'm pretty confident you'll be back on this forum after you drive the cars telling us how much more fun to drive the SI is. I was in your position also. I won't tell you why the other cars aren't as good but cheaper insurance, gas mileage, appearance, value, and FUN are what you get with the SI.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
I just bought my 09 last month. I'm pretty confident you'll be back on this forum after you drive the cars telling us how much more fun to drive the SI is. I was in your position also. I won't tell you why the other cars aren't as good but cheaper insurance, gas mileage, appearance, value, and FUN are what you get with the SI.
the lack of tq takes away alot of the fun. and the k series trans

·
Registered
664 Posts
My experience with both have been positive. I have an FA5 that I love to drive. More than my A3 2.0T (sorta like the GTI).It really depends on what you need or drive it for. For traffic, I'd choose the GTI with DSG. I'm also old and rickety so driving a 6 speed manual kills my legs.

Now I just flashed the A3 with APR Stage 1. Holy heck! Even more torque. Killed the set of tires I had on it. I love driving this thing again. Rolling in 6th gear around 50 MPH and drop the hammer. Shifts down to 3rd and the tires are still breaking away. It's an absolute hoot.

I just sent my ECU yesterday out to Hondata and I'm getting it back tomorrow. I'll let you know how that compares. I bet it changes the car totally. I'm giddy waiting for this thing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've driven all of them, multiple times; I must say it would be between the FA5 and MS3, both are excellent cars.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hey, I've been doing tons of research and its just hard for me to decide, so I'mwondering what you guys think, 09 SI coupe or Fa5, Mazdaspeed3, or VW GTI.
Let me know which and why.
Thanks.
Buy the car you like. Spending over 20K on the advice of others who do not own all the cars in question is not a sound idea. Love my 09 Si sedan but that does not mean you will. It is fun to drive, not very quick, and gets pretty good gas mileage.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts