8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Advan Gold RCII's (now with pics!)

I just bought a set of Advan RCII's (18x8.5 +31 offset) for my 2007 DXG Coupe, on Pirelli PZero Nero's (Not too sure about the size). I'm currently on stock suspension, and had the Advan's mounted today.

They're absolutely beautiful (will post pictures later), but the problem is.. there's less than 2 inches clearance from the car to the tires, and it does indeed (slightly) rub if making complete right/left turns quickly. Taking the car on the highway, there's a noticeable vibration from the steering wheel (something that never happened on my old 15" steelies). As well, it seems like the car can barely hit 100 without feeling unsafe (hard to control) on the highway.

What can I do to fix this, and is this a huge problem?

Edit: Pics as promised! :)

More to come!

· Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had it done at a Certigard, so wouldn't any improper balancing/etc be covered under their service warranty?

Aside from the vibration from driving fast, what about the clearance issues? Does anyone have anything to say in regards to the offset/sizes and a DXG stock coupe? They rub slightly when making quick full turns.. what can I do to fix this?

· Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hub-centric rings?

I'll get back on the tire size, but it's most likely the offset.

I've heard about rolling fenders.. would that work in my situation - or is machining the hub the only solution? Is the rubbing a really big issue though? How dangerous is it?

· Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Based on your offset (31) you will proably have problems that can only be solved by machineing

There is another issue with these low offsets ... they add to increased bearing and bushing wear.

FYI - "Cheap thrills" in Milton has a wheel lathe and "TireMAg" in Vaughn/Concorde used to be able to machine Rims ..I do not know if they do any more.

Moose
Does machining the rims harm the structural integrity of the rims? How much am I looking at for a complete set to be machined?

Strangely, I took the old stockies out of the trunk/backseat.. and my drive today was a vast improvement.. it doesn't seem to rub anymore, and there is little vibration!

where r the pix?????
Tomorrow night, as soon as I wash + wax the car (which I was told that I wouldn't need to by the stealership.. as I paid for the pearl coating :sadwavy:).

· Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You're absolutely right. I was concerned mostly about the styling of these, as well as an really attractive price - and sorta got carried away, leaving no space for research.

Could some one shed light on what adding negative camber is?

· Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
:SHOCKED:

Insult to injury... nice...

I would agree, but I didn't want to say anything since the sting of being out $2k+ has to be bad enough... oh well. :biggrin:
While I do like the wheels myself (by themselves), I do have to admit that the half inch that sticks out past the fenders looks kind of awkward.

I tried to turn a blind eye to it (and just look at the car from a side profile), as well as justifying the fact that I can resell these without losing money on them. It doesn't hurt too much, as I'm not out $2k+ (I paid much less).

Honest opinion > sarcasm. Thanks for all the insightful help guys. :)

As for learning a lesson, definately. Research will be key the next time I do something like this.

· Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I'm looking at adding negative camber right now, and so far - I'm guessing it's done with a camber kit? Looks like I'll need a front and rear kit - and that's going to set me back another 500~?

Aside from doing the above.. is machining the rims really a viable option? If they're going to cut from the rims, it's not going to stick out so much anymore and rub? This is assuming there is enough meat to cut on the rims. Does anyone know how much this costs usually?

My tires right now are 245-40-18. If I bought a smaller set of tires, would the rubbing go away (considering they barely rub right now)?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.